DCI World Champs Finals - Aug 11, 2018

5 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

I know last time MTurner judged guard he placed Cadets over Boston!!!!!

Its never easy for Boston. But no complaints. You control the things you can control, and be so good that someday they just can't deny you anymore.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

So what time does DCP crash tonight?  I'm going to say right around 10:28 ET.  :)

• Haha 1

I'm in Indy and saw the prelims. guy, what  a wreck. I believe, and know Allan personally, my comment stems from KNOWING he is a consummate professional. The medalists placement will hinge on percussion scores IMO. 

• Like 1

Predictions:

1. SCV

2. BD (as much as I'd love for Bloo to take 2nd, I'm not going to underestimate a Finals night BD)

3. Bloo

4. Crown

5. BAC

6. Cavies

7. Cadets

8. Blue Stars

9. BK

10. Mandarins

11. PR (will close the gap on Mandarins)

12. Crossmen

GE: SCV

VP: SCV

Guard: BD

Brass: SCV

Percussion: SCV

DM: Carl Huang (SCV)

• Like 1

I really love the ending to BD, but I sort of feel like they made some staging missteps this year. The main story telling stage is just so far away from the crowd, the scale is all wrong.

Kind of how I felt about Scouts’ Judas show, you had to squint to see what was going on.

The Tempest and Dreams shows did a great job of pushing the main story milestones front and center, so you could be drawn through the show. Same with Session 44, you literally couldn’t get Olivia closer to the front line for most of the night, amd at times she is on a stage with the corps pointing to her to make sure the crowd knows where to focus.

Nighthawks is such a cool idea, but the story is all over the place visually, so you never really get much of a sense of what is actually going on. The ending sort of ends. It’s really cool, but it falls flat mostly because BD spent 11 minutes dazzling you all over the field, so you sort of have to mentally piece the show back together at the end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Isn’t this the same percussion judging crew that nearly got run over several times in prelims, and registered whacked scores for most of the top eight? Maybe DCI had a sit down with them over the last two days and told them to get their crap together, so we don’t end up with a bunch of frustrated, cynical fans and corps directors at retreat.

It is not. Allen is a real pro, super quick thinker and cares about what the performers are doing. Case in point— “The Save”:

The video taken from that age-out snare drummer’s Go-Pro cam strapped to his harness is even better, as a winded Allen goes back to check on him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Isn’t this the same percussion judging crew that nearly got run over several times in prelims, and registered whacked scores for most of the top eight? Maybe DCI had a sit down with them over the last two days and told them to get their crap together, so we don’t end up with a bunch of frustrated, cynical fans and corps directors at retreat.

While I agree with the prelims judges issue(s) I’m not sure I understood  or agree that DCI would talk to any judge before finals. I believe the judges will get it (more or less) right and my cynical self will buy my ‘19 tickets the day they go on sale!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Predictions:

1. SCV

2. BD (as much as I'd love for Bloo to take 2nd, I'm not going to underestimate a Finals night BD)

3. Bloo

4. Crown

5. BAC

6. Cavies

7. Cadets

8. Blue Stars

9. BK

10. Mandarins

11. PR (will close the gap on Mandarins)

12. Crossmen

GE: SCV

VP: SCV

Guard: BD

Brass: SCV

Percussion: SCV

DM: Carl Huang (SCV)

The silver will depend almost entirely on which judges are judging percussion, and how they perceive the Session 44 book. If they steer toward technical exposition, BD will win the silver by .3 or so. If they steer toward the book matching the concept, and reward achievement, I say Bloo by .15.

Found it...judges are human...even checking to make sure all is okay. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

While I agree with the prelims judges issue(s) I’m not sure I understood  or agree that DCI would talk to any judge before finals. I believe the judges will get it (more or less) right and my cynical self will buy my ‘19 tickets the day they go on sale!

no AK is a pro. the guy at prelims and a previous regional is clearly a good judge as far as commentary/rank and rate or he wouldnt get the gigs he does, but his situational awareness is horrible. he doesnt care about anything other than getting right up on the kids. I didnt notice Marty in any jams last night, Ak when i watched him earlier, and Jeff only got in one jam at Allentown, partially caused by another judge not moving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1