DCI World Champs Finals - Aug 11, 2018

I'm at a walmart in Indy right now and natural woman is playing on the radio.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

Thank you for all the pics, KG! My son was on the stage during the trumpet feature you posted. :cheer:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hirsbrunner said:

SCVC went on a little ahead of schedule, so I had to watch from the tunnel. This is the third time I’ve just barely missed them this year.

Why not have them perform right before the 12th place corps? They would certainly get a bigger audience.

• Like 2

I'm making some dinner to settle in with for finals.  Stopped at Trader Joe's and they had some black bean and cheese taquitos.

giphy.gif

Just now, Precious Roy said:

Why not have them perform right before the 12th place corps? They would certainly get a bigger audience.

Do you think it’s partially a test environment to make sure everything is functioning properly, and a time gap to fix things if they’re not?

7 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I'm making some dinner to settle in with for finals.  Stopped at Trader Joe's and they had some black bean and cheese taquitos.

giphy.gif

Love how you chose a GIF that correlates with your avatar.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

I would have put them right in between the first six tonight and the second six.  That would guarantee better exposure.

1 minute ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Love how you chose a GIF that correlates in some way with your avatar.

Double Gir use is Box 5 visual design.

• Like 2

Just some impressions of this week... looking forward to a great Finals Night!!!  There has been so much quality from every single corps this year.  Have fun everyone!

Crossmen - Bones' book is seductive.  The chords, melodies, and dark mood bring the listener right in.  Love the guard's parasol + flag visuals.  The vocalist is very good.  Wish we could get a look at him.  Is he the same person jumping all over the props, or are there two people playing the same character?  Hauntingly good show.  

Phantom Regiment - The title and repertoire of this show suggested that they might resurrect some magic from their past.  The corps is very good, but how could the designers be this sadistic to longtime fans??  NWS has so much potential to be kick-a##.  It hurts to see it played as a lullaby.  So hungry was the crowd for a taste of 1989 that they went wild when the brass squatted with one leg in front.  I get this was meant to be a totally different show. One can never go home.  Love this corps, and the kids are delivering.  The designers did misstep though.

Mandarins - Great show and performances this week!  Congratulations on making finals!  This is a year of darker themed shows, and Mandarins are showing up in style.  The crowd was very enthusiastic toward them.  The brass' entrance in True Colors is a magic moment.  How fitting is it that this great champion (from another division) is now among the elite?  Watch out finalists... these guys can compete.  They are ready and hungry for these coming years.  

Blue Knights - Don't care what anyone says, the pyrmamid props are awesome!  Great corps.  I don't begrudge their percussion being rewarded.  They deserve it.  

Blue Stars - Lots of talent in Blue Stars!  They get the corniness of their show and are totally having fun with it.  So is the audience.  Who doesn't like at least one Carpenter song?  No one admits it though...  Their brass is sounding so good.  Right from the first hit, everyone knows it is going to be fun.  Thankfully, they are marching well because those pants/boots are totally unforgiving.  New ending is an improvement.  Great comeback this year!   Looking forward to tonight.  

Cadets - The Conversation: Cadets are Good and Everyone's Loving It.  In Allentown, Cadets likely gave the performance of the evening.  Here at nationals, it's clear that they belong in competition at the top.  Clean, clean, clean.  Percussion on fire, as usual.  When is that brass book going to get the credit it deserves?  They're marching much better than the early season.  Great simultaneous demand with all of the leg stuff by the brass.  The well-integrated vocals set the emotional tone and help it build right to the end of the show... both endings of the show.  Tonight is going to top off a very challenging season of many changes.  The show is excellent.  The MMs have shown what they can accomplish with a little sanity running things.  Upsets do not happen often, but the door is still open for them to pull one off.  

Cavaliers -  typical Cavies: energetic, plenty of great moments.  The brass plays with great care and delicacy through the many challenging quiet passages... then they rattle the rafters during the hits.  The guard's equipment is almost always in the air!  Not to mention, these guys are true showmen.  No other corps can lay back with them in the mix.  Even the bass drummer falling last night didn't disrupt things.  He got right back up and jumped into the show.  The front ensemble is a show in itself.  Watch for the look of relief on the lone snare soloist (in the pit) when he finishes the long challenging Bolero cadence.  This top 7 is likely the toughest competition the activity has seen in years.  Cavies' fans should not feel as if there was a backslide.  They're excellent and the night is still young.  

Boston Crusaders - I have every reason to be biased toward Boston, so it worried me when the show didn't hook me in June.  Its greatness was evident... I just wasn't feeling much when watching it.  Wicked Games was love at first sight.  SOS and I took things a lot slower, and it was worth the wait!  Once the corps mastered the challenges in this audio/visual repertoire, the emotion began to come through.  In every way, this is a far more complex/difficult show than WG.  No wonder it took so long to ripen.  Now, on Finals night, it can be argued that this is the most captivating and polished show on the field.  In terms of bringing one on a journey, and demonstrating nuanced emotion, this show delivers from beginning to end.  Listen to that seductive front ensemble interlude during the ballad.  Why did it take so long for this show to bring it home?  My guess is that the demand of those fast tempos (190 bpm throughout much of the show) took the ensemble weeks to nail down.  Once that happened, the staff could revisit how to convey the complex emotions.  If this guard delivers again tonight, they definitely deserve the Zingali.  Not gonna bet on it though.  You-know-who has no doubt busted out his calculator to figure out what numbers to give.  

Carolina Crown - This is a corps with three sections that range from great to magnificent.  The design can be criticized for being a bit one-dimensional and repetitive, but it's still quite a spectacle.  The brass is awesome through and through.  No one else has attained their purity of sound.  The percussion has proved themselves and are hanging with the best of them.  The guard captures their beastly style and delivers some great moments.  Blow it Up, Start Again keeps things interesting... and gets the award for earworm of the season.  The rocking prop is great fun.  Can't get enough of it, and the guard does some cool stuff on/around it.  Yes to whoever suggested they rock it throughout the show!

Bluecoats - This show is special.  Would love to see it rewarded as much as possible.  Love the way Bloo shows everyone how to do things the right way.  Olivia is a star, all while remaining unassuming.  Her performance enhances the ensemble in every way.  That's stardom.  B&B in B, Joni Mitchell, Billie Holiday... a jazz recording session, a hot summer night... Bloo delivers it all.  Loved watching this show all season.  It's fun and fresh.  Takes us somewhere new that we didn't know we wanted to visit.  Pulling for a great finish!

Blue Devils - This show really is something.  For the doubters, they are totally moving at the opening of this show.  Guard is on.  Percussion is pretty spectacular.  I guess brass is the weak link, but it's hardly weak.  There is so much going on that one almost misses them slowly piecing together the painting.  The hair work is almost comical, but it's all good fun.  Cadets may have been the first to do this back in 90.  Keep an eye on how well they stage the battery.  Watch how they leave plenty of room for the judge so they can show off their beats.  This is likely the only line that might snag the Sanford from SCV.  Great product all around.  I don't count them out, but the door seems closed for gold.  

Santa Clara Vanguard - Otherworldly.  Is there another way to describe this show?  Mysterious, haunting, technically brilliant... Great job to everyone involved!  It appears that they have a lock on the win.  I know, never bet against you-know-who.  It would be wonderful to see this show take the championship.  It's been too long, and a long slow journey back to the top.  This show stands out in so many ways and brought the house down last night!  Dark resonant brass sound with flawless articulations, they are the only brass line with a chance to wrest the Ott from Crown's paws.  This show is going to be a treat to watch tonight.  Congrats on a great season, and best wishes for the final stretch!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1