DCI World Champs Finals - Aug 11, 2018

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Kevin mentioned that he'll be reporting from DCA's championships over Labor Day weekend. FYI, those shows will be streamed, but not on Flo.

Correct. Those are streamed on Box5 Media.

https://box5tv.com

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

2006 I think? Might need someone to check on that

It was 2016 believe it or not.

GE - Bluecoarts

Drums - SCV

Visual - Crown

Colorguard - Crown

Brass - Crown

I remember so clearly because I still had a bug up my butt over 2015 and was happy to hear BD not being announced winning any caption awards. That bug is gone.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Fair enough.  I didn't see Pac Crest this year, maybe if I had I would feel as you do.

Since Pac Crest didn't get the air time the Big Boys did, would you care to elaborate on what you saw, or what you liked?

Pretty sure it was a reference to this:

• Like 1

Thanks for saving me the video find time.  That was truly one of the greatest fun moments.  People who skip open class and the lower half of semis miss out on a lot of good shows and fun times.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nsxanax said:

...and which is one of the reason some in CrownLAND are so anxious to return to what was becoming the status quo for guard.

Not doggin’ BAC for pilfering the talent, but unfortunately it’s put Crown at a competitive disadvantage the past couple seasons.

Yep when Michael Townsend and friends moved to Boston, a large portion of crownguard got on the stagecoach and became witches in Boston (including many soloists).

Whatever happened to Herbert Washington?

10 hours ago, year1buick said:

So this panic inducing moment happened during BD's Natural Woman. Seriously, you can't make this **** up. Luckily we have another in the living room that I could switch over to. (After enough profanity to make a sailor blush.)

VLkBWs0.jpg

In the words of Parker in the movie ALIEN, "Spit on it for two minutes...would ya'...for Christ sake!" 

Do you mount the Apple TV on the wall behind the TV?  Might want to check that you've not mounted it near one of the cooling fan vents for the TV.  That plus the heat it generates on its own might cause this when using it for extended time.  Otherwise, get some compressed air and make sure the Apple TV isn't dusty inside, or sitting in light or have something sitting over or near its vents, etc.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Nobody said she didn't earn the award.  I certainly didn't say that and I don't think that.

I was giving my opinion about what I like seeing from a conductor on the field.  I guess I'm not being specific enough. 

The fact I like a particular conductor's style and performance does not detract from nor disparage anybody else.  It's my PERSPECTIVE and my OPINION, not an official DCI award.

But it should be.  :biggrin:

I said something similar and got "bagged and tagged" for it. Apparently the leadership award... "to the DRUM MAJOR exhibiting"... begins with the DM writing in and applying to be considered, then a "panel" with Gene M. heading makes a decision. IMO, If your going to present an award on Finals night it should be based on what is exhibited on the podium. Otherwise award it prior to finals. Every Drum Major by virtue of the position, does similar duties as counselor, cheerleader, policeman, and the like. Judge what is seen and not an arbitrary, subjective process. Claire, I am sure did a fantastic job with her unit,  but so did everyone else. Kudos to the other 11 DM's who EXHIBITED musical leadership and flair both on and off the podium.  The hashtag movement will surely  respond AGAIN,  but don't bother, I already understand your position. I just happen to #disagree.

Edited by whitedj2002
typing too fast! Plane to catch, bye Indy!
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

I said something similar and got "bagged and tagged" for it. Apparently the leadership award... "to the DRUM MAJOR exhibiting"... begins with the DM writing in and applying to be considered, then a "panel" with Gene M. heading makes a decision. IMO, If your going to present an award on Finals night it should be based on what is exhibited on the podium. Otherwise award it prior to finals. Every Drum Major by virtue of the position, does similar duties as counselor, cheerleader, policeman, and the like. Judge what is seen and not an arbitrary, subjective process. Claire, I am sure did a fantastic job with her unit,  but so did everyone else. Kudos to the other 11 DM's who EXHIBITED musical leadership and flair both on and off the podium.  The hashtag movement will surely  respond AGAIN,  but don't bother, I already understand your position. I just happen to #disagree.

Jesus, why is this a topic? There is no DM number score or ranking anywhere in the score sheets! Congratulations to the applicants and the receiver of the award. Focus people, we have way bigger fish to fry! Boston Crusader won guard! Blue Devils won no captions! Phantom Regiment produced a sleeper show! Mandarins BEAT Phantom Regiment (let that sink in), Carolina Crown brass in the last week of tour, what happened?And Santa Clara Vanguard won GE, VISUAL, MUSIC, BRASS and PERCUSSION with an abstract show! FOCUS PEOPLE! 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Box5Opinion said:

Jesus, why is this a topic? There is no DM number score or ranking anywhere in the score sheets! Congratulations to the applicants and the receiver of the award. Focus people, we have way bigger fish to fry! Boston Crusader won guard! Blue Devils won no captions! Phantom Regiment produced a sleeper show! Mandarins BEAT Phantom Regiment (let that sink in), Carolina Crown brass in the last week of tour, what happened?And Santa Clara Vanguard won GE, VISUAL, MUSIC, BRASS and PERCUSSION with an abstract show! FOCUS PEOPLE! 

it's a topic because Cadets won something. Bottomline - and I learned this decades ago - there is a group of people who will and always will hate the Cadets

She was a great DM, on and off to podium. The fact that "adults" have to no-so-subtly poo-poo her achievement is disgusting. The ONLY personal award given out that night and these "fans" have to attempt to undermine it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2