10 More Years in Indy

There's a pretty good science museum downtown. Also we toured Dunes National park and Notre Dame while we were in the area between Michigan City and Indianapolis. Had some pretty good barbeque and pork loin at places. It's not the armpit of the world. 

On 8/11/2018 at 7:08 AM, corps8294 said:

It makes perfect sense to keep the major shows indoors.

Modern Covered stadiums with greater seating capacity than LOS: 
AT&T Stadium                                 Arlington     
NRG Stadium                                  Houston    
Mercedes-Benz Stadium               Atlanta    
U.S. Bank Stadium                          Minneapolis    
Ford Field                                         Detroit   
University of Phoenix Stadium     Glendale     

Coming soon: Los Angeles Stadium and Las Vegas Stadium

... just saying.  There are now many indoor venues that would provide a better visitor experience and easier air travel than Indy. I suspect DCI is staying put because Indy is super convenient for its office staff, they know there are enough high schools available to host corps, and the financial terms for the rental are favorable. 

Edited by ChiBoyinLA
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChiBoyinLA said:

... just saying.  There are now many indoor venues that would provide a better visitor experience and easier air travel than Indy. I suspect DCI is staying put because Indy is super convenient for its office staff, they know there are enough high schools available to host corps, and the financial terms for the rental are favorable. 

I'm betting this is a big part of it.  Moving would mean sorting out housing for all these corps.  Given what we saw crop up with Allentown when some housing falls through for whatever reason, getting housing sorted out is no small feat.  They'd probably have to be working 2-3 years in advance of moving finals to make sure they had this aspect sorted out, and then hope it doesn't fall through when new school boards, principals, band directors, etc. come into positions in the interim.  

23 minutes ago, ChiBoyinLA said:

I suspect DCI is staying put because Indy is super convenient for its office staff, they know there are enough high schools available to host corps, and the financial terms for the rental are favorable. 

If it ain't broke don't fix it is a pretty strong argument for a major event like this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dcsnare93 said:

I don't mind the stadium, but Indy just isn't that interesting of a place to visit each summer.

I've been to Indy 4-5 times now and never tire of biking/walking around the city (several cool neighborhoods like Mass Ave and Fountain Square and more), the many fine dining options, the museums, Capital/historic monuments.  I find plenty to do every time I come.

But how much time do you really have anyway?

There are always several music/arts events every night that I wish I COULD attend, but there is drum corps to watch.

My mindset is I'm there to see drum corps. It isn't my only vacation (guess I'm lucky). When I go somewhere interesting then I want to have time to actually do what's interesting!

Edited by MadScout80
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2018 at 9:17 AM, Whiskey said:

At the Friends breakfast. Dan just stated that they’ll have another 10 more years in Indy.  The city has asked them to stay for another 10.  

Dan also acknowledged the safety of members and all. 

It's too bad cities couldn't bid on having finals in their city just like the Olympics...oh well...

38 minutes ago, Liahona said:

It's too bad cities couldn't bid on having finals in their city just like the Olympics...oh well...

And all that bribery, graft, vote-buying, and other forms of corruption that come with those bids. Imagine the possibilities. :tongue:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rileydog said:

I wish I knew which gate you entered....they searched our bags and made us throw away drinks and food....

The funny thing for me was one concession stand in the upper concourse would remove your bottle cap from your water and throw it away. Called it a safety issue.

It was the VIP entrance.  It was nice, a little less of a walk around the side of the stadium, no wait and the stadium staff were super nice.  One day we had open bottles of water.  The other day we had coffee from our hotel.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

It was the VIP entrance.  It was nice, a little less of a walk around the side of the stadium, no wait and the stadium staff were super nice.  One day we had open bottles of water.  The other day we had coffee from our hotel.  

Ah. I had to go through the peasants gate. Lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MadScout80 said:

I've been to Indy 4-5 times now and never tire of biking/walking around the city (several cool neighborhoods like Mass Ave and Fountain Square and more), the many fine dining options, the museums, Capital/historic monuments.  I find plenty to do every time I come.

But how much time do you really have anyway?

There are always several music/arts events every night that I wish I COULD attend, but there is drum corps to watch.

My mindset is I'm there to see drum corps. It isn't my only vacation (guess I'm lucky). When I go somewhere interesting then I want to have time to actually do what's interesting!

I suspect a lot of the demand to move Finals from Indy is from folks (certainly not on DCP -- haha) who use DCI as a vacation excuse.  Sure, they take in a show or two and visit the warm-ups, but their main reason is to do the touristy stuff -- IMO

This was my 9th year at Indy. I've got it all planned out -- if I don't volunteer, I try to watch all the shows I can (especially those who won't make Semis).  Make souvie purchases.  I hit all my favorite eating places (discovered 2 more this year).  I do the Street Beat 5K.  (Dan Acheson ran in my age group. He left me in his dust. Sigh!)  I visit with kids and friends I know after Retreat.  After that, it's sleep, shower, and start over.  Not much time for anything else.

I'm happy with Indy.