10 More Years in Indy

On 8/11/2018 at 10:08 AM, corps8294 said:

Modern drum corps shows are created for climate controlled indoor stadiums. Outdoor venues, with uneven marching and performing surfaces (natural grass), and being at the mercy of the weather gods don't vibe with the types of shows that corps are creating, currently. It makes perfect sense to keep the major shows indoors.

Good points. With all the electronics and props in today's shows (and I am mostly fine with that providing it's done with taste and that it works) it only makes sense. So many domed stadiums are used now. Detroit, St. Louis, San Antonio, Atlanta, and Indy.  Do I prefer outdoor events? Yes. But I am flexible in regard to where we are today. 

Having attended Indy for Finals in 09, 10, 11, 14, and 16, I can honestly say it is quite nice for parking, hotels, great restaurants, and the stadium is really easy to get in and out of. It's comfortable. Easy to walk around. Plenty of restrooms and food stands. Most of the seating is not cramped. It's air conditioned. The show schedule runs smoothly.

The biggest gripe, of course, is going to be sound. We all know that, and for some that is enough to keep them away, but there are many positives. Consider, too, that DCI is headquartered in Indy and they can setup so easily and utilize almost every facet of that stadium (except maybe the roof).  Another consideration is that Indianapolis is not a massive city like NY, Boston, Philly, Houston, Atlanta metro, etc., where traffic concerns (and costs) might trump other perks.  So Indy clearly has its' strong points.

...but as we all know, DCI purists are about sound.

double post

Edited by jwillis35

3 hours ago, ChiBoyinLA said:

Modern Covered stadiums with greater seating capacity than LOS: 
AT&T Stadium                                 Arlington     
NRG Stadium                                  Houston    
Mercedes-Benz Stadium               Atlanta    
U.S. Bank Stadium                          Minneapolis    
Ford Field                                         Detroit   
University of Phoenix Stadium     Glendale     

Coming soon: Los Angeles Stadium and Las Vegas Stadium

... just saying.  There are now many indoor venues that would provide a better visitor experience and easier air travel than Indy. I suspect DCI is staying put because Indy is super convenient for its office staff, they know there are enough high schools available to host corps, and the financial terms for the rental are favorable. 

I'm not sure corps members would appreciate outdoor practices during the daytime in Arizona or Nevada in August leading up to finals. Think that 110-118 temp might be a little much dry heat or not. Heck, I'd love if the finals were outdoors here in California but reworking the whole schedule to make that work isn't practical.

My hope was for a dome stadium with a retractable roof. Nice day? Open it up! 

Edited by KPinCAL
  • Like 1

After about 7 years of going to Indy, my friends decided they didn’t want to spend vacation time on the “same old Indy”. They were really hoping we could use it as an excuse to go to a different city and get away from the wives for a couple days. 

So now I go by myself. And while I wouldn’t mind if Finals week moved around, now I can finally focus on drum corps and doing some unique things that I knew my buddies wouldn’t be interested in, such as going to the Indianapolis Art Museum (now called Newfields) and searching for the Edward Hopper paintings I was inspired to find due to the Blue Devils show.

Any Discussion on Open Class?  I have always wished that they would move Open Class Finals to Wed and CLOSER to Indy.  I would fly up a day early for that.  A three hour plus drive two days prior prelim is too inconvenient.

I have not been to Michigan City, so can't speak to how well it works, but would be nice for it to be a more convenient option.

I really miss the days of going to new cities for Finals!  And while I can understand why we have an Indy centric schedule now, I think in the long run having a rotation of cities would be best.  Turn regional cities into Finals cities on a rotating basis and simple rework the schedule.  No problem keeping them indoors, but Indy is Indy.  This past week, I think we did LITERALLY the exact same schedule as the year before.  Something new and fresh would be good for the activity!

I would personally like to see it in different cities YOY. It brings the marquee event to other cities who have either a)supported the activity through thick and thin for ages; or b) bring to new and exciting cities that would love the activity with such exposure. 

I know it’s nice for DCI to have Indy the safety blanket but I’d really like to see Finals in different markets again.