10 More Years in Indy

On 8/11/2018 at 8:36 AM, ThePlanets said:

HOF show and possibly Erie stay the last outdoor shows of the season and are both roughly 1.5 hrs from me? YES

I can continue to make a day trip to semis and see the rest of the corps I missed as long as I get they day approved off? YES

I prefer the acoustics of a good old outdoor show but it won't rain on your parade indoors.

Indy is a nice city, low drama, low traffic issues, nice accommodations.

And it must be great to have that for over 20 years in a row. And I'm sure you understand why those of us from other parts of the country feel like DCI doesn't give a crap about our experiences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, flugelswerebugels said:

And it must be great to have that for over 20 years in a row. And I'm sure you understand why those of us from other parts of the country feel like DCI doesn't give a crap about our experiences.

Yes. Quite frankly it sucks. 

Yes DCI and BOA are big from the Akron/Canton area to Columbus, but I really didn't know much about it other than a little bit on ESPN growing up in the Pittsburgh area when I was age eligible to march. A Bluecoats alumni took me to my first DCI show when I was 20. The Bluecoats weren't there and I didn't know they held camps less then 2 hrs away at the time. And how long has there been DCI Pittsburgh? Oh Pittsburgh has 2 shows each featuring different corps at different times of the season.

Culture isn't much different in the Youngstown/Warren/Sharon area. In fact there is some argument that less kids know about their opportunities around here.

But I have 7 shows (5 WC 2 OC) within a 1.5 hour drive from me. And since I'm roughly halfway between Allentown and Indy I can choose from either of the 2 last outdoor WC shows and one of the last 2 OC outdoor shows. My area gets the royal treatment and we don't deserve it.

No it's not fair at all. What about Texas and California? Both DCI hotbeds that pull a lot of talent. California is completely screwed and Texas does get everyone but it's a huge state and they get Midseason shows.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Yes DCI and BOA are big from the Akron/Canton area to Columbus, but I really didn't know much about it other than a little bit on ESPN growing up in the Pittsburgh area when I was age eligible to march. A Bluecoats alumni took me to my first DCI show when I was 20. The Bluecoats weren't there and I didn't know they held camps less then 2 hrs away at the time. And how long has there been DCI Pittsburgh? Oh Pittsburgh has 2 shows each featuring different corps at different times of the season.

Culture isn't much different in the Youngstown/Warren/Sharon area. In fact there is some argument that less kids know about their opportunities around here.

But I have 7 shows (5 WC 2 OC) within a 1.5 hour drive from me. And since I'm roughly halfway between Allentown and Indy I can choose from either of the 2 last outdoor WC shows and one of the last 2 OC outdoor shows. My area gets the royal treatment and we don't deserve it.

No it's not fair at all. What about Texas and California? Both DCI hotbeds that pull a lot of talent. California is completely screwed and Texas does get everyone but it's a huge state and they get Midseason shows.

Absolutely agreed. Especially here in California. We deserve late season shows. I would love for DCI to take Finals on tour again. 

Edited by cloudskipper

10 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

All true.  I'm in WA state, and am lucky enough to have 1 show in my hometown.  The nearest ones after that are 4+ hours from me.  

DCI obviously doesn't care enough to get people like me to finals, though.  They're making enough right where they are, I guess, so good for them. 

On 8/13/2018 at 4:19 PM, ChiBoyinLA said:

... just saying.  There are now many indoor venues that would provide a better visitor experience and easier air travel than Indy. I suspect DCI is staying put because Indy is super convenient for its office staff, they know there are enough high schools available to host corps, and the financial terms for the rental are favorable. 

The bolded, above, is a primary consideration. Indy area schools are willing to work with the corps to provide housing, despite the fact that for many of them, they're already in session during Finals week. It's doubtful they'd find the same accommodating spirit in other burgs.

Realistically, no other major cities want DCI. The crowd and the amount of money they bring to the week aren't worth the logistical headaches. I've been there every year it's been in LOS, and the venue has a certain familiarity and predictability now, both for regular fans and the corps themselves, that it removes the chances of __- ups during the week.

BTW, I park across South from the stadium and pay $10. Over three nights, that saves $40-$60 in what parking would cost at most other NFL stadiums in downtown areas. There's your food for the weekend.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, flugelswerebugels said:

DCI doesn't give a crap about our experiences.

I would not put it that way but dci squandered any market share they built where they held finals in the 2 year rotation. Build a fans base locally for two years and totally abandon the market after that. KC is a fine example and a lot of other cities and the entire country of Canada. A whole country no less maybe Calgary would still be a drum corps they sure resemble one?

Now reentering LOS on the concert side is impossible, well almost but you may need some help from a Jedi. Why, do folks really try to sneak in? Who comes all the way to Indy to sneak in? The locals seem to care less even with the Indy discount they get.

It's not fan friendly making some folks that are not technically handicapped or go out of the way not to be to hobble around the stadium. Walk all the way around up & down stairs, go out to lunch and it's rinse & repeat. The folks running this thing have no compassion for the fans are heartless money hungry executives.

Now compassion for the MMs is in question. If they fail at that they will have no time shilling on DCP they will be up to their neck in legal briefs, fair waring.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

I would not put it that way but dci squandered any market share they built where they held finals in the 2 year rotation. Build a fans base locally for two years and totally abandon the market after that. KC is a fine example and a lot of other cities and the entire country of Canada. A whole country no less maybe Calgary would still be a drum corps they sure resemble one?

Now reentering LOS on the concert side is impossible, well almost but you may need some help from a Jedi. Why, do folks really try to sneak in? Who comes all the way to Indy to sneak in? The locals seem to care less even with the Indy discount they get.

It's not fan friendly making some folks that are not technically handicapped or go out of the way not to be to hobble around the stadium. Walk all the way around up & down stairs, go out to lunch and it's rinse & repeat. The folks running this thing have no compassion for the fans are heartless money hungry executives.

Now compassion for the MMs is in question. If they fail at that they will have no time shilling on DCP they will be up to their neck in legal briefs, fair waring.

DZQTDMs.gif

• Like 3