10 More Years in Indy

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Nope, I'm done.  I'll just watch and read and try to understand

Not taking you serious about not posting anymore I am your friend. I been down this path before made money shilling, trolling and what not for social; issues I care about. I been disposed by teams of lawyers. I came out OK but there were some tenuous moments where my wife wanted to kill me. On this site I have one objection and that is being an advocate for the MMs and no one is placed on a pedestal there are no secrete cows and that is not going to change.    

57 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Sorry MikeN no vendetta just fair warning. Shills on Reddit have run into legal issues. Now Soros funded shills have written protection from liability up to a certain ceiling. Maybe some on here don't know they would be perceived as shills. They should wake up to that fact and not place hurt feelings ahead of the personal well being of the MMs. I screen capture everything and want to be a friend rather than a foe. Our legal system can take some real latitude in expanding liability.  

i think you think way too much about a chat forum about drum corps.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Heads in beds = economic impact. Stadium costs money, hotel rooms cost money, people eat, people buy souvenirs, people fly in/out, people fill up gas, people explore bars and such after the show. Every one of those is revenue, and the revenue gets dispersed among employees, and they spend the money again. The former is direct economic impact, the latter is induced, the combined is total economic impact.

Cities market themselves to events and sign multi-year deals so their economy grows. This is especially true for cities like Indy, which have a pretty strong convention presence which mostly wanes in the summer. Indy's set up really well for this, since their downtown/hotel district is so close to the stadium that the travel/tourism area stays largely the same throughout the year.

This was my problem. I went to Finals every year after I finished marching, but after two years in a row in Indy, I unfortunately haven't been back.

I'm not necessarily needing Finals to move anywhere, but it would be great if the big spots on the national tour changed around a little bit more.

i went in 10 and hated the sound, so i stopped going since i get Allentown the week before and you can watch online. i'm not opposed to going back, but i now have a wiggly 6 year old that isnt going to sit for all of that, and i am not ditching the wife to go solo or ditching the kid and dropping her at grandparents. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i went in 10 and hated the sound, so i stopped going since i get Allentown the week before and you can watch online. i'm not opposed to going back, but i now have a wiggly 6 year old that isnt going to sit for all of that, and i am not ditching the wife to go solo or ditching the kid and dropping her at grandparents. 

3 year old and 1 year old, I understand. That's been my other hurdle as well, though we're talking about Denver next year.

We took a 2 year old and 1 year old twins this year. But they left right after the Star Spangled Banner. :8_laughing:

• Like 2

On 8/13/2018 at 6:17 PM, NorCalDad said:

I'm not sure corps members would appreciate outdoor practices during the daytime in Arizona or Nevada in August leading up to finals. Think that 110-118 temp might be a little much dry heat or not. Heck, I'd love if the finals were outdoors here in California but reworking the whole schedule to make that work isn't practical.

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's all about the $$. it's been said on here by people in the know that the more DCi draws, the better the deal is for them. They won't get that deal going to cities like LA, Dallas, etc. it's the same reason DCA is going to an average at best PA HS stadium for the next 2 years....the deal. 

Plus, they can basically keep the same tour schedule year in and year out.

Just to continue beating a dead horse, Vegas has vacant indoor air conditioned convention space in abundance in August so practices can be held indoors. Vegas is incredibly good at making amazing deals for events that come here, especially multi-day events. Add in room blocks to match corps with their fans, and convention space costs go down dramatically. Can't sleep in there, still gotta house kids at schools or rec centers (of which there's plenty), but I'll safely say that Vegas would love to have drum corps in any way/shape/form after the stadium is ready to go!

Edited by ouooga
Original unclear. Provided new content to clarify.

4 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Just to continue beating a dead horse, Vegas has vacant indoor air conditioned convention space in abundance in August, and is incredibly good at making amazing deals for events that come here, especially multi-day events. Add in room blocks to match corps with their fans, and convention space costs go down dramatically. Can't sleep in there, still gotta house kids at schools or rec centers (of which there's plenty), but I'll safely say that Vegas would love to have drum corps in any way/shape/form after the stadium is ready to go!

it's those 200 degree outside temps that the mms have to bear in rehearsal which is a major reason that this youth activity doesn't succeed in Sin City. The kids deserve better.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

it's those 200 degree outside temps that the mms have to bear in rehearsal which is a major reason that this youth activity doesn't succeed in Sin City. The kids deserve better.

That was the vacant indoor air conditioned convention space part I was talking about......

I edited my original to make that clearer. Sorry for confusion.

Edited by ouooga
See above.

50 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think you think way too much about a chat forum about drum corps.

Your missing the point it's not what I think at all, it's the reality of posting your opinion on line, I lived it. I was in a thread on GLP about the history of a very large three letter corporation. My saving grace is I was not the OP who posted a funny using enough of their logo that crossed a liability line. They came after me for what I contributed but was able to show what I posted was truthful and was just slapped on the hand. The world all of a sudden has become a scary place, remember when this site was carefree, now you must always look over your shoulder.