10 More Years in Indy

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

in nevada in august.

We don't actually have a Bloomington. It was a nudge at 08.

My dad told me jokes are funnier when you get to explain them, but I'm not sure that's the case right now.

12 minutes ago, ouooga said:

We don't actually have a Bloomington. It was a nudge at 08.

My dad told me jokes are funnier when you get to explain them, but I'm not sure that's the case right now.

oh i got the 08 part and laughed

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ouooga said:

There's literally 11.5 million square feet of convention space between Las Vegas and Henderson (adjacent city), more than any other area in the U.S. The majority of hotel properties have at least one indoor facility that can accommodate a full corps rehearsal, and there's nearly 90  properties like that on the Strip alone.

Edit: I should probably mention that I'm one of the guys who crunches the numbers on Las Vegas tourism for a living. Being an avid drum corps person, I've done the math on this, from number of available rooms and the average cost per room/flight, and in all scenarios the cost goes down unless you live basically within driving distance from Indianapolis. I've also talked to some of the appropriate folks., from city-wide entertainment initiative people to convention facility and hotel sales people. Without a stadium, we're obviously a ways away from being able to do anything but hypothesize, but so far I've yet to find an actual hurdle.

Just so I understand -- there are numerous indoor facilities with enough open area (I.e., no support columns) to accommodate a full sized football field?  What's the floor like -- concrete, tile, carpet?  I guess I'm not seeing a show rehearsal site as much as a warm-up and music only site.

Maybe things have changed since I was last in a convention center.  

One of these years, I gotta get out to the Oil Can.

I would like to see the Thursday show... drum corps all day and evening.  Indoors, no weather problems.  I definitely can deal with that.  LOL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

Just so I understand -- there are numerous indoor facilities with enough open area (I.e., no support columns) to accommodate a full sized football field?  What's the floor like -- concrete, tile, carpet?  I guess I'm not seeing a show rehearsal site as much as a warm-up and music only site.

Maybe things have changed since I was last in a convention center.  

Hmm, I admit, I didn't think about support columns. I walked through a large convention center yesterday though, and feel confident (meaning I don't know the measurements) that the distance in at least the one I was in was the length of sideline to sideline; they're really big facilities here, hell, I'll pass 3 of the 10 largest in the country on my way home from the office tonight.

And ya, concrete on the inside. I'm not saying it's ideal, but I think we've all marched on several fields/parking lots that weren't ideal, and none of them were air conditioned.

Edited by ouooga

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

One of these years, I gotta get out to the Oil Can.

I would like to see the Thursday show... drum corps all day and evening.  Indoors, no weather problems.  I definitely can deal with that.  LOL.

Much easier to sit in the ideal sound pocket on Thursday as well. Lemme know if you ever pull the trigger on this idea.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Much easier to sit in the ideal sound pocket on Thursday as well. Lemme know if you ever pull the trigger on this idea.

Thank you, I will.  I have another friend with tickets in that area (or at least I think it's the same area!!!)  and he also has offered.

It would be so cool to see all those corps in one day. The ultimate one-stop shopping. LOL.

Some day.  Hopefully sooner than later. Not getting younger here.  :laughing: