10 More Years in Indy

3 hours ago, Bluzes said:

I would not put it that way but dci squandered any market share they built where they held finals in the 2 year rotation.

I should be more explicit. DCI takes west coast drum corps fans for granted. I don't give a f#ck if they stay in Indy, but they need to change the tour so we can see something closer to a complete show. Now you will all tell me how harrowing it is for east coast corps to change what they do, which only reinforces my point. DCI takes west coast fans for granted. 

• Like 3

On 8/13/2018 at 5:19 PM, ChiBoyinLA said:

Modern Covered stadiums with greater seating capacity than LOS: 
AT&T Stadium                                 Arlington     
NRG Stadium                                  Houston    
Mercedes-Benz Stadium               Atlanta    
U.S. Bank Stadium                          Minneapolis    
Ford Field                                         Detroit   
University of Phoenix Stadium     Glendale     

Coming soon: Los Angeles Stadium and Las Vegas Stadium

... just saying.  There are now many indoor venues that would provide a better visitor experience and easier air travel than Indy. I suspect DCI is staying put because Indy is super convenient for its office staff, they know there are enough high schools available to host corps, and the financial terms for the rental are favorable. 

it's all about the $$. it's been said on here by people in the know that the more DCi draws, the better the deal is for them. They won't get that deal going to cities like LA, Dallas, etc. it's the same reason DCA is going to an average at best PA HS stadium for the next 2 years....the deal. 

Plus, they can basically keep the same tour schedule year in and year out.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, flugelswerebugels said:

DCI takes west coast drum corps fans for granted.

Some of us love the early leg through the west, did it many times never gave much thought to how incomplete the shows are but you're correct. Let the other corps run through Texas as early as possible because of the heat. then some can join a midseason west coast tour. The kids well being is more important than the price of stadium fees, or ease of judging fixing everything in SA or Atlanta so nothing changes come finals. We are all being played and made fun of by the musical elite. Did you catch the thread yesterday where we were schooled on how our collective thought made that musical genius not like SCV. This is getting as worse as Reddit.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

We are all being played and made fun of by the musical elite. Did you catch the thread yesterday where we were schooled on how our collective thought made that musical genius not like SCV. This is getting as worse as Reddit.   

I don't understand your vendetta against Reddit. Scratch that, there's a lot more I don't understand as well...

Mike

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I don't understand your vendetta against Reddit. Scratch that, there's a lot more I don't understand as well...

Mike

Furthermore, we started with the elitist but brain-dead Friends members, now it's the musical elite polluting us from within!

SMH.  I'm not sure I understand much of what is posted.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeN said:

sI don't understand your vendetta against Reddit

Sorry MikeN no vendetta just fair warning. Shills on Reddit have run into legal issues. Now Soros funded shills have written protection from liability up to a certain ceiling. Maybe some on here don't know they would be perceived as shills. They should wake up to that fact and not place hurt feelings ahead of the personal well being of the MMs. I screen capture everything and want to be a friend rather than a foe. Our legal system can take some real latitude in expanding liability.  

Edited by Bluzes
typo

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

urthermore, we started with the elitist but brain-dead Friends members, now it's the musical elite polluting us from within!

SMH.  I'm not sure I understand much of what is posted.

Lets hope that you don't have to explain your motives to a judge someday. Your just adding fuel to the fire. You seem to stand up for everyone except the MMs, not a good place to be.

3 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Lets hope that you don't have to explain your motives to a judge someday. Your just adding fuel to the fire. You seem to stand up for everyone except the MMs, not a good place to be.

Nope, I'm done.  I'll just watch and read and try to understand...

Carry on.

On 8/11/2018 at 6:50 AM, Tim K said:

Interesting the city asked them to stay. DCI would not be a major employer. As far as conventions/events go, DCI does fill the hotels, I suppose the restaurants do well, and finals attracts a respectable crowd, but unless you arrive early, you don’t have time for the touristy atttactions, the shopping, or the things that really bring in the bucks. I know that people taking advantage of the whole city is what Boston, Philadelphia, and New York hope for with conventions.

Heads in beds = economic impact. Stadium costs money, hotel rooms cost money, people eat, people buy souvenirs, people fly in/out, people fill up gas, people explore bars and such after the show. Every one of those is revenue, and the revenue gets dispersed among employees, and they spend the money again. The former is direct economic impact, the latter is induced, the combined is total economic impact.

Cities market themselves to events and sign multi-year deals so their economy grows. This is especially true for cities like Indy, which have a pretty strong convention presence which mostly wanes in the summer. Indy's set up really well for this, since their downtown/hotel district is so close to the stadium that the travel/tourism area stays largely the same throughout the year.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:39 PM, ajlemm said:

After about 7 years of going to Indy, my friends decided they didn’t want to spend vacation time on the “same old Indy”. They were really hoping we could use it as an excuse to go to a different city and get away from the wives for a couple days. 

So now I go by myself. And while I wouldn’t mind if Finals week moved around, now I can finally focus on drum corps and doing some unique things that I knew my buddies wouldn’t be interested in, such as going to the Indianapolis Art Museum (now called Newfields) and searching for the Edward Hopper paintings I was inspired to find due to the Blue Devils show.

This was my problem. I went to Finals every year after I finished marching, but after two years in a row in Indy, I unfortunately haven't been back.

I'm not necessarily needing Finals to move anywhere, but it would be great if the big spots on the national tour changed around a little bit more.

• Like 1