2019 Move to World Class?

Are there any Open Class corps that plan to move to World Class next year?

I don't think we'll be seeing any corps make the jump for the 2019 season and that's a good thing imo.

If any corps has the ability to make the jump I think it'd be Spartans. Legends is just a year removed from their folding scare and Gold will likely stay to try and continue building on this season's success as a medalist.

I don't think there's anyone with the fundraising currently.  While i believe there are a few who can design shows to hold up, I don't think they've got the money coming in to do it. 

Some of those SoundSport groups have folded or otherwise stopped performing. Arsenal (NM) and Appalachian Gold (WV) have stuck around for a couple of years and look to be pretty committed to making the leap to Open Class once DCI gives them the okay.

22 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Some of those SoundSport groups have folded or otherwise stopped performing. Arsenal (NM) and Appalachian Gold (WV) have stuck around for a couple of years and look to be pretty committed to making the leap to Open Class once DCI gives them the okay.

• Appalachian Sound and Storm folded.
  • Armada switched to WGI Winds.
  • Rivermen, Hub City, and Lone Star postponed recruiting and premiering until the 2019 season. 
  • Florida Xpress just came back from being inactive for a season. Not sure their plans.

Based on the comments by the Encorps director; it'd be reasonable to see them apply for OC in 2019 or 2020 season. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2018 at 11:56 AM, lcarlton said:
  • Appalachian Sound and Storm folded.
  • Armada switched to WGI Winds.
  • Rivermen, Hub City, and Lone Star postponed recruiting and premiering until the 2019 season. 
  • Florida Xpress just came back from being inactive for a season. Not sure their plans.

Based on the comments by the Encorps director; it'd be reasonable to see them apply for OC in 2019 or 2020 season. 

Based on conversations I had with some Encorps folks in Allentown (mostly parents, always enthusiastic and die hard fans), Encorps is hoping for OC in 2019. I believe based on comments I’ve heard the director is more than ready for 2019, but the question is  will the corps be ready and financially prepared. I can’t comment on finances, but based on what I saw st the SoundSport contest in Allentown, the show was creative, the kids were enthusiastic, and you could sense camaraderie among the members. In some ways it was what we heard about Guardians a few years back. I think their challenge could be recruitment. New Jersey is not a huge area and there’s already Raiders, 7th Regiment is not a huge drive away, and there are three WC offerings, Surf which has many merits, and Cadets which has always recruited locally and BAC. 

Guardians example could be one they should follow. I love that Guardians exist when you consider how many claimed the corps would never see the light of day due to no other reason than the founder’s age. However the key to their competitive success is their unique voice and it would not surprise me to see Encorps as a corps with a unique voice.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tim K said:

Based on conversations I had with some Encorps folks in Allentown (mostly parents, always enthusiastic and die hard fans), Encorps is hoping for OC in 2019. I believe based on comments I’ve heard the director is more than ready for 2019, but the question is  will the corps be ready and financially prepared. I can’t comment on finances, but based on what I saw st the SoundSport contest in Allentown, the show was creative, the kids were enthusiastic, and you could sense camaraderie among the members. In some ways it was what we heard about Guardians a few years back. I think their challenge could be recruitment. New Jersey is not a huge area and there’s already Raiders, 7th Regiment is not a huge drive away, and there are three WC offerings, Surf which has many merits, and Cadets which has always recruited locally and BAC. 

Guardians example could be one they should follow. I love that Guardians exist when you consider how many claimed the corps would never see the light of day due to no other reason than the founder’s age. However the key to their competitive success is their unique voice and it would not surprise me to see Encorps as a corps with a unique voice.

T. K. You've drunk too much of the Kool-aid. BAC has only one camp for 2019 in the Northeast, let alone New England; after audition seasons it's all Tampa which is not local to a kid in New Brunswick, NJ. Vermont ST if welcomed back there is still a five-six hour car ride depending on routing, traffic and construction. And Castleton is not near anything that flies from even Newark/Liberty Airport unless one is considering a parachute drop.

Encorps is not attempting to challenge Morris County wallets like Raiders and DCA's Fusion Corps; even Hawthorne Cabs with their young DCA age would be a possible draw; but for Encorps from a talent perspective, they are Div. III with Open Class and Jersey Surf considered a dream corps. It will take them quite awhile to manage the tolls on NJT and Garden State Parkway before mms seem ready for WC.  Just saying...  stay realistic.

Edited by xandandl

On 9/2/2018 at 4:17 AM, Tim K said:

I think their challenge could be recruitment. New Jersey is not a huge area and there’s already Raiders, 7th Regiment is not a huge drive away, and there are three WC offerings, Surf which has many merits, and Cadets which has always recruited locally and BAC.

Not to mention that New Jersey had FOUR corps in DCA this year. One is brand new and very small, but the other three made the top six yesterday: Caballeros were sixth, Bushwackers were fifth, and Fusion Core was fourth.

• Like 2