Boston Crusaders 2019

16 hours ago, Tim K said:

Part of it was economic, no question. People moved from the city to the suburbs and drum corps did not adjust as well to the suburbs though there were some great corps from the suburbs: St. Mary’s Cardinals, Holy Family Defenders, Pembroke Imperials, and St. Francis Sancians to name a few. More youth activities certainly played a role. Also when Proposition 2 1/2 was passed, many music programs were decimated and that probably didn’t help. 

Also, Alliance of Greater Boston. It's a deep local drum corps heritage that is now carried by Boston Crusaders.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Also, Alliance of Greater Boston. It's a deep local drum corps heritage that is now carried by Boston Crusaders.

I remember the first time I saw Alliance. Talk about a corps that was not afraid of volume, something I think they got from the Spectra side. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, xandandl said:

St. Thomas More, English chancellor and martyr.  Thomas Moore is another famous guy but not a canonized Saint.

Interesting thesis/dissertation topic for some creative sociology/American studies type might be cross-patterning analysis of the demise of drum corps, Catholic schools, and the closing of parishes in Greater Boston. They all followed the same path as vocations and families dwindled, Florida grew, and dogs replaced children and grandchildren.

That sums it up quite well. Boston was no longer a city of small towns within. Majestic Knights ( Charlestown.. Gatesmen ( Southie ) St . Rose ( Chelsea ) or Holy Trinity or Cambridge Cabelleros.

So many corps from Portland ( Andrews Sabres ) to Rockland. ( Defenders ) New priorities and financial inabilities were part of the demise of these good local corps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2018 Crusader Classic Golf Tournament

Tournament Information

Date: Friday, September 28, 2018

Time: Registration begins at 7:00am, Shotgun Start at 8:00am

Location: Chemawa Golf Course (350 Cushman Rd, North Attleborough, MA 02760)

Pricing:

• Single Player - $150 if you pre-register; $165 day of
  • Foursome - $550 if you pre-register; $600 day of
  • *Fee includes Green & Cart Fees, and a buffet lunch

Prizes: Winning Foursome, Longest Drive, Closest to the Pin, Hole in One and Putting Contest. Other raffle and prize opportunities also available.

Weather Policy: If the tournament is cancelled due to weather, the event will be rescheduled. No refunds.

Tournament Sponsors: We are pleased to offer a variety of sponsorship opportunities, starting at $100 and incrementing up to our exclusive Presenting Sponsor level. We invite you to investigate these opportunities.

More Information and Registration can be found here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-crusader-classic-golf-tournament-registration-48035284830

Edited by Barneveld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, xandandl said:

interesting thesis/dissertation topic for some creative sociology/American studies type might be cross-patterning analysis of the demise of drum corps, Catholic schools, and the closing of parishes in Greater Boston. They all followed the same path as vocations and families dwindled, Florida grew, and dogs replaced children and grandchildren.

I grew up in the Catholic Schools systems believe it or not I was an alter boy. Joined Our Lady of Lourdes Cadets a year before the Monsieur told all boys in the sixth grade to come to practice, they wanted the girls to be a little older.

To reflect on the CYO actions/intentions then considering where the Catholic Church is today on sexual harassment. Makes me feel uneasy glorifying them at this point. Lets hope the dci/corps directors is aware how things can eventually turn afoul. Nothing less than a proactive approach to the issues at hand or someday folks may become ashamed to speak about dci.

The Boston Crusaders have announced audition dates for the 2019 season.

Boston - Nov. 10 All Sections

Los Angeles - Nov. 10 Perc. only

Indianapolis - Nov. 11 & 17 Guard only

Indianapolis - Nov. 14 - 17 Perc. only (must be attending Pasic2018 to schedule an audition)

Houston - Nov. 17 Brass, Perc. only

San Antonio - Nov. 24 All Sections

Dallas - Nov. 25 All Sections

Tampa - Dec. 1 All Sections

Video Auditions Deadline - Nov. 10 All Sections

More info here: https://bostoncrusaders.org/audition/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, xandandl said:

St. Thomas More, English chancellor and martyr.  Thomas Moore is another famous guy but not a canonized Saint.

Interesting thesis/dissertation topic for some creative sociology/American studies type might be cross-patterning analysis of the demise of drum corps, Catholic schools, and the closing of parishes in Greater Boston. They all followed the same path as vocations and families dwindled, Florida grew, and dogs replaced children and grandchildren.

This is more "from the horse's mouth" than sociological, From my understanding, the reasons are many and somewhat varied. Based on knowing some of the people involved with the CYO Music Circuit some reasons include,

For the earliest corps that dropped parish/church affiliation, CYO rules probably played a major part. At one had to have a certain percentage of parishioners involved, a certain percentage of non Catholics could participate with numbers allowed for people who lived inside the parish boundaries and those outside. In the early days these rules made sense, but as time went on and neighborhoods began to change, it made recruiting a challenge.

A decrease in vocations also played a role. It cost very little to run a Catholic school when the schools were staffed by nuns. When lay teachers began teaching in the schools, the lay teachers had to be paid. In some cases you could not afford a school and drum corps.

As many drum corps began to improve and become competitive nationally, they outgrew the parishes. Many pastors wanted to maintain control, but they did not understand the activity. Directors had bigger visions for the corps and a parish setting was too confining. At the other end, you also had drum corps that believed they controlled the parish. I know one parish that had a band. A new pastor was appointed. The band directors had demands and some in leadership threatened to quit of the demands were not met, the pastor believed they were unreasonable. The directors quit, the band disbanded. The parish used the money budgeted for the band for other youth activities and the parish grew. This person was transferred to another parish and was credited with saving their drum corps. 

When CYO began allowing corps that never had a parish affiliation to compete, some corps broke away from the parishes. Many corps had been self sufficient and were sponsored by the parish in name only to compete in the CYO Circuit. When this no longer an obstacle, the corps became independent.

I did not assign any names or drum corps to the reasons I listed because in drum corps as in life, there is always more than one side to a story, especially with some of the more famous stories.  

Now I hope this post is interesting, but it is a bit hijacked, so I will add a Boston Crusaders note. One thing I love is that BAC goes back to visit Most Precious Blood in Hyde Park. I see the Facebook pasts and I'm always impressed. I'm glad they hear from Fr. Ron Coyne, the current pastor, who was a giant in youth ministry. It looks like the entire visit is a moving event.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

This is more "from the horse's mouth" than sociological, From my understanding, the reasons are many and somewhat varied. Based on knowing some of the people involved with the CYO Music Circuit some reasons include,

For the earliest corps that dropped parish/church affiliation, CYO rules probably played a major part. At one had to have a certain percentage of parishioners involved, a certain percentage of non Catholics could participate with numbers allowed for people who lived inside the parish boundaries and those outside. In the early days these rules made sense, but as time went on and neighborhoods began to change, it made recruiting a challenge.

A decrease in vocations also played a role. It cost very little to run a Catholic school when the schools were staffed by nuns. When lay teachers began teaching in the schools, the lay teachers had to be paid. In some cases you could not afford a school and drum corps.

As many drum corps began to improve and become competitive nationally, they outgrew the parishes. Many pastors wanted to maintain control, but they did not understand the activity. Directors had bigger visions for the corps and a parish setting was too confining. At the other end, you also had drum corps that believed they controlled the parish. I know one parish that had a band. A new pastor was appointed. The band directors had demands and some in leadership threatened to quit of the demands were not met, the pastor believed they were unreasonable. The directors quit, the band disbanded. The parish used the money budgeted for the band for other youth activities and the parish grew. This person was transferred to another parish and was credited with saving their drum corps. 

When CYO began allowing corps that never had a parish affiliation to compete, some corps broke away from the parishes. Many corps had been self sufficient and were sponsored by the parish in name only to compete in the CYO Circuit. When this no longer an obstacle, the corps became independent.

I did not assign any names or drum corps to the reasons I listed because in drum corps as in life, there is always more than one side to a story, especially with some of the more famous stories.  

Now I hope this post is interesting, but it is a bit hijacked, so I will add a Boston Crusaders note. One thing I love is that BAC goes back to visit Most Precious Blood in Hyde Park. I see the Facebook pasts and I'm always impressed. I'm glad they hear from Fr. Ron Coyne, the current pastor, who was a giant in youth ministry. It looks like the entire visit is a moving event.

I have to agree with you post whole heartedly.

For awhile (4 years) I did some work for Boston CYO as an unofficial liaison between the disgruntled corps and the pastors, helping each see the other side which usually meant bringing someone to see reality. Even young as I was, I would go up to Boston every so many fall and winter weekends to be part of ad hoc roundtables and cracker barrel discussions. Because of my experience with drum corps in Greater NY/NJ and my time in the Mass. Judges training program, I had street creds with drum corps folks there in New England. Because of my employment in Catholic education, I had street creds with the clergy who even arranged my housing at Lake St. in Brighton when the usual suite at Boston College wasn't available. Now as many know from my sometimes writing on DCP especially when I'm tired, I would never get a posting at the State Department or embassy, especially Stato. But when Msgr. McNeill or Father Frank Silva ran into a road block with entrenched personalities on either side, they invited me in. I always laughed on the train home that both sides had come to some sort of agreement and were now blaming all the problems on the New Yawkah.:hmmm:

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

I have to agree with you post whole heartedly.

For awhile (4 years) I did some work for Boston CYO as an unofficial liaison between the disgruntled corps and the pastors, helping each see the other side which usually meant bringing someone to see reality. Even young as I was, I would go up to Boston every so many fall and winter weekends to be part of ad hoc roundtables and cracker barrel discussions. Because of my experience with drum corps in Greater NY/NJ and my time in the Mass. Judges training program, I had street creds with drum corps folks there in New England. Because of my employment in Catholic education, I had street creds with the clergy who even arranged my housing at Lake St. in Brighton when the usual suite at Boston College wasn't available. Now as many know from my sometimes writing on DCP especially when I'm tired, I would never get a posting at the State Department or embassy, especially Stato. But when Msgr. McNeill or Father Frank Silva ran into a road block with entrenched personalities on either side, they invited me in. I always laughed on the train home that both sides had come to some sort of agreement and were now blaming all the problems on the New Yawkah.:hmmm:

Msgr. McNeill

He and the CYO gave many of us young ones a start in Drum Corps, Band, or Drill Team ... He was the star of Mission Drums in his black cape and biretta with all those foreign corps from Quebec, California, Wyoming and New Jersey/Delaware.

Edited by CorpwithanS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, CorpwithanS said:

He and the CYO gave many of us young ones a start in Drum Corps, Band, or Drill Team ... He was the star of Mission Drums in his black cape and biretta ith all those foreign corps from Quebec, California, Wyoming and New Jersey/Delaware.

Technical clarification:

Msgr. Bob McNeill was the star of the CYO Nationals, a junior show (with corps such as you mention,) financed by his Jewish banker friend Mr. Feinstein and coordinated by Mr. Dominic Bianculli of St. William's band, Dorchester.  Mission Drums was the senior show sponsored by the Boston Archdiocesan Propagation of the Faith (office for overseas missions) where Msgr. Bill Glynn, later pastor of Holy Family, Duxbury was the star. Check with TimK and NorthernThunder.

A 2011 DCP thread was dedicated to sorting out the historical confusion as we grow older. The seven pages of the thread is interesting reading showing the change in DCP posting besides the history.  https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/145041-mission-drums-why-call-it-that/

[The first CYO Nationals was a closed exhibition of CYO corps which the Cardinal of Boston sponsored for the entertainment of the seminarians and the performance was on the lawn of St. John's Seminary on Commonwealth Avenue, Brighton across from Boston College. Years later, CYO decided to do a public contest with which all of us are more familiar.] 

From that thread I quote:

"The first CYO Nationals was in 1964 and was held at Boston College's Alumni Stadium. After the 1968 show it moved to Cawley Stadium in Lowell for two years, then back to Boston College for most of the rest of it's time - through 1982. During that period there was one more show at Cawley Stadium (1971) and one at Harvard Stadium (1977).

The interesting thing about the CYO Nationals was the method used to incorporate a couple of Boston-area corps into the mix. The CYO Circuit awarded points for placements in circuit shows. The two circuit corps with the most cumulative points during the period leading up to the CYO Nationals got the invitations. Some years that method wasn't so bad, when you had St. Mary's Cardinals, St. Kevin's Emerald Knights, and I.C. Reveries in the CYO Circuit. But in those years when those corps chose to go into the Eastern Mass. Circuit rather than the CYO, there were some less than optimal corps from the Boston area who were invited.

Unfortunately, especially in the show's later years, the CYO corps were usually seen at or near the bottom."

"Actually guys, (Mission Drums) wasn't sponsored by the Boston Archdiocese CYO, but rather was co-sponsored by the Society for the Propagation of the Faith and the Missionary Society of St. James the Apostle. All the proceeds were to be used for the furtherance of Boston Archdiocese missionary activities around the world.

I'm sitting here looking at the program book for the Third Annual Mission Drums, held on Saturday, June 25, 1960 at Boston College. Each year the winning corps was awarded the Fr. Jim Hennessey Trophy. Fr. Hennessey was a Boston Ardiocese priest who went to serve in the North Solomon Islands in 1935. He was taken prisoner by the Japanese in March of 1942 and was killed in June of that same year.

The lineup for the 1960 show was Lt. Norman Prince, Connecticut Hurricanes, Hawthorne, Reilly, Skyliners, Geneva Appleknockers, Connecticut Yankees, and Archer-Epler. ...

Interestingly, all the parishes in the Boston area were "encouraged" to place ads in the program book. Woe unto the parish that didn't.

And last... The program book cost a quarter!"

Edited by xandandl
  • Thanks 3