Boston Crusaders 2019

52 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The Cavies might have done this a few times back in the early 2000's.  At least from my memory of discussions about this from on line threads.

I believe "TILT" was created this way at BlueCoats.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

The Cavies might have done this a few times back in the early 2000's.  At least from my memory of discussions about this from on line threads.

I don't believe so. The Cavies in the 2000's did not have Saucedo write the music and arrangements first, then have Gaines, et al and the Cavies Show Designers then choose the Theme/ Visuals for the Show after the show's Music was selected and written. At least, I've never heard that this was how the Cavies shows were constructed and put together musically in the 2000's. I'm open to further education on this, but this is not my understanding/ memory anyway.

Insofar as the Boston's Show Designers are concerned, my understanding is that its a collaborative effort to select the Theme first. Then afterwards, the staff puts the Music/ Visuals/ Attire choices together that the Staff believes will best capture that Theme in performance the following season.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, onionhead said:

I believe "TILT" was created this way at BlueCoats.

Might be.. hard to say. Bluecoats are notorious for not announcing music/ themes till well past April most years now. They announced their 2014  show theme would be" Tilt " during the 2nd week of May. '14 on Facebook.. just before May camp move ins, for example.  Tyondai Braxton's music to be utilized in " Tilt " was announced in late April. Braxton said ( on record ) he wanted to be kept appraised on how his music would be utilized throughout the process of the development of the Show that season. ( turns out, he was reportedly happy in the end with its arrangements/ presentation in that year's show)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BRASSO said:

What Corps select the music first, then decide on the Theme after they  selected the music for the show, Liahona ? I'm just curious, thats all, as I'd never heard of this done in this chronological manner in recent times. I've always thought all the Corps decided on the Theme constructs first, then selected the music to properly fit that Theme they chose afterwards. But I'm open to new information/ education re. this too.

Please don't hold me to this...BUT I seem to recall in 2014 during the TV/movie broadcast the Bluecoats artistic director stating that's how the show was designed.  The reason I recall is it was in stark contrast to Boston doing the complete opposite. Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly.

edit: I just read above posts.  Looks like I was remembering correctly.

Edited by Liahona

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

Please don't hold me to this...BUT I seem to recall in 2014 during the TV/movie broadcast the Bluecoats artistic director stating that's how the show was designed.  The reason I recall is it was in stark contrast to Boston doing the complete opposite. Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly.

I won't hold you to it. What people seem to recall, is.. well... what they seem to recall. DCP does share some light on this with the Bluecoats 2014 thread still on here. It does not clarify which was chosen/ completed first, Theme or Music, just that the Music choices were still taking place well into April and just before Move Ins.... so who knows. its no big deal though, imo. Boston current staff modus operandi is to select the Theme first ( early Fall generally ), then choose the music/ visuals/ attire after that. Thats why the Phantom fan ( PRPhan4ever ) suggestion above for his classical music composition piece above he'd  like to see Boston play next season. more than likely would only work in the context if Boston's Theme was going to be advanced somehow with the playing of it, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

On the DCP Facebook page, there is a post by a Scott Miller who stopped at his local Starbucks (Wesley Chapel). He noticed a sign featuring an employee and highlighted Brendan Serrata who wants to march with Boston Crusaders next summer. Thought people would enjoy and I hope Scott Miller does not mind his photo being used.

DnFI39HVYAABdQN.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

I’ll hold you to it and you are right. It was also true of Down Side Up and Jagged Line. 2018 was different as Dean Westman (I think) had the idea of the experience of a session musician / performer before the design team selected the music. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe Boston's Design Staff had a meeting this past weekend out in Indy to go over some ideas for their show creation for next summer. Oh to be a fly on the wall there... haha!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I won't hold you to it. What people seem to recall, is.. well... what they seem to recall. DCP does share some light on this with the Bluecoats 2014 thread still on here. It does not clarify which was chosen/ completed first, Theme or Music, just that the Music choices were still taking place well into April and just before Move Ins.... so who knows. its no big deal though, imo. Boston current staff modus operandi is to select the Theme first ( early Fall generally ), then choose the music/ visuals/ attire after that. Thats why the Phantom fan ( PRPhan4ever ) suggestion above for his classical music composition piece above he'd  like to see Boston play next season. more than likely would only work in the context if Boston's Theme was going to be advanced somehow with the playing of it, imo.

Does it matter how the sausage is made if the end product is tasty and delicious?  Some like it spicy, some like it sweet; just like a drum corps show.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I believe Boston's Design Staff had a meeting this past weekend out in Indy to go over some ideas for their show creation for next summer. Oh to be a fly on the wall there... haha!

I'm not totally certain but I believe Bostons design staff had their initial meeting for the 2019 season before they left Indy at finals.  Complete speculation on my part, but it is likely there was a review of the total design package from 2018 and a review of individual  caption successes.  I expect they are pretty happy with the freedom they have to create the program.  This can only lead to greater success for the upcoming season.  They are now moving into the third season together and the progress made so far is astounding.  I am very much looking forward to the story they will tell in 2019.  The overall story of their rise and growth over the past 2 seasons is pretty compelling too.  Best of luck to the entire organization; leadership, admin's., volunteers, design and instructional staff of the Crusaders this upcoming year. In the words of an old Japanese proverb; "Ever Improve".

Eat em up BAC

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 6