Boston Crusaders 2019

14 hours ago, xandandl said:

Does it matter how the sausage is made if the end product is tasty and delicious?  Some like it spicy, some like it sweet; just like a drum corps show.

I hear you, but I like to know/ learn how a Drum Corps show is made.

A sausage ? I don't think I ever want to know how a sausage is made as I may never eat one ever again, spicy or otherwise:drool:

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I'm not totally certain but I believe Bostons design staff had their initial meeting for the 2019 season before they left Indy at finals.  Complete speculation on my part, but it is likely there was a review of the total design package from 2018 and a review of individual  caption successes.  I expect they are pretty happy with the freedom they have to create the program.  This can only lead to greater success for the upcoming season.  They are now moving into the third season together and the progress made so far is astounding.  I am very much looking forward to the story they will tell in 2019.  The overall story of their rise and growth over the past 2 seasons is pretty compelling too.  Best of luck to the entire organization; leadership, admin's., volunteers, design and instructional staff of the Crusaders this upcoming year. In the words of an old Japanese proverb; "Ever Improve".

Eat em up BAC

Could be, Labmaster. I've heard of Corps that have even settled in on show Themes for the following season, while the current season is still in competition. Its a bit unusual, but by no means rare in DCI Drum Corps. What seems to be new now is that due to copyright clearance reasons, or other reasons, most DCI Corps now keep Drum Corps fans in the dark on Themes/ Music/ Attire until all the winter's snow is seemingly gone from the ground in at least 45 states.   I wish that would change. But Boston is doing what they believe is best, so I understand and appreciate that too. .:unsure:

Edited by BRASSO

25 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Could be, Labmaster. I've heard of Corps that have even settled in on show Themes for the following season, while the current season is still in competition. Its a bit unusual, but by no means rare in DCI Drum Corps. What seems to be new now is that due to copyright clearance reasons, or other reasons, most DCI Corps now keep Drum Corps fans in the dark on Themes/ Music/ Attire until all the winter's snow is seemingly gone from the ground in at least 45 states.   I wish that would change. But Boston is doing what they believe is best, so I understand and appreciate that too. .:unsure:

And maybe because of copyright issues, an early start on researching those issues or concerns is necessary.  The time required to secure rights to use material or to move to alternate options could drive design teams to earlier planning than years ago. And it wouldn't hurt to get the actual show material out to MM's earlier too.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 12:49 AM, BRASSO said:

What Corps select the music first, then decide on the Theme after they  selected the music for the show, Liahona ? I'm just curious, thats all, as I'd never heard of this done in this chronological manner in recent times. I've always thought all the Corps decided on the Theme constructs first, then selected the music to properly fit that Theme they chose afterwards. But I'm open to new information/ education re. this too.

Yes theme drives modern design but what drives the theme?  Very often it's a single piece of music that kicks off the process.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I believe Boston's Design Staff had a meeting this past weekend out in Indy to go over some ideas for their show creation for next summer. Oh to be a fly on the wall there... haha!

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I'm not totally certain but I believe Bostons design staff had their initial meeting for the 2019 season before they left Indy at finals.  Complete speculation on my part, but it is likely there was a review of the total design package from 2018 and a review of individual  caption successes.  I expect they are pretty happy with the freedom they have to create the program.  This can only lead to greater success for the upcoming season.  They are now moving into the third season together and the progress made so far is astounding.  I am very much looking forward to the story they will tell in 2019.  The overall story of their rise and growth over the past 2 seasons is pretty compelling too.  Best of luck to the entire organization; leadership, admin's., volunteers, design and instructional staff of the Crusaders this upcoming year. In the words of an old Japanese proverb; "Ever Improve".

Eat em up BAC

11 minutes ago, karuna said:

Yes theme drives modern design but what drives the theme?  Very often it's a single piece of music that kicks off the process.  

This is true.  It was the piece "Amazing Grace" that kicked off BAC's show last season...that piece was the thread that tied the whole show together...

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Liahona said:

This is true.  It was the piece "Amazing Grace" that kicked off BAC's show last season...that piece was the thread that tied the whole show together...

Probably true for many / most shows actually.  All of these designers work intimately with musical ideas to express concepts. 

3 hours ago, karuna said:

Yes theme drives modern design but what drives the theme?  .  

Its an equal combo of Guard/ Music/Visuals, imo. Oftentimes now, its as likely to be a Guard soloist(s) and or Singer(s) that drives the Theme, as much as the Music and/ or Percussion/ Brass soloist(s).  I don't see any single one of these  three ( Guard or Music or Visuals ) typically driving the Theme more with DCI Corps today than any other of the other two.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm not sure what specific inspiration birthed Boston's show last year. Could have been music, or an idea or a theme one of the designers proposed.  2017 was an idea that brought Wicked Games to life.  Something like hey we are in Boston, near Salem...how about Witches?  There seems to have been literary inspirations over the past few years as the theme seeds.  Or at least some literary component.  Who knows what this years story will be but there's a good chance it is being discussed around now.

4 hours ago, Liahona said:

Hmmm, I don't know about this.. From my perspective, it was a female Guard Person that kicked off the show as much as the singers, singing the  opening refrain along the front sidelines. It seemed to me that it was the simultaneous start by both in equal measure that started the show off. My eyes were drawn to the Guard soloist dance in motion as the only person in motion to begin the show, and my ears to the front sidelines singers that together opened the performance with the Guard. The show ended not with the Music, lest we forget either, but with the Guard/ Visuals ending the Show with the Theme's final messaging to audiences and judges alike..This is why from my perspective it is not one component ( such as " Music " ) that sells the theme, or " ties it all together ". its instead a combination, in equal measure, by the Guard/ Music/ Visuals that tend to drive the Themes with most Corps now. Boston's current staff has done a brilliant job so far in creatively putting such combinations together to dramatically improve Boston, imo

Edited by BRASSO