Boston Crusaders 2019

23 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

.  2017 was an idea that brought Wicked Games to life.  Something like hey we are in Boston, near Salem...how about Witches?  

Sounds simple, but from listening to staff interviews that were recorded with FloMarching on how they came up with the show theme, this is pretty much how the idea for the Show first surfaced among the Design Staff at Boston they told the interviewer. Turns out their initial instinct for a show theme was a good one too, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I'm not sure what specific inspiration birthed Boston's show last year. Could have been music, or an idea or a theme one of the designers proposed.  2017 was an idea that brought Wicked Games to life.  Something like hey we are in Boston, near Salem...how about Witches?  There seems to have been literary inspirations over the past few years as the theme seeds.  Or at least some literary component.  Who knows what this years story will be but there's a good chance it is being discussed around now.

I may be wrong but I heard the inspiration for Wicked Games came from MT...in almost exactly the same way you just described in your post...

18 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Hmmm, I don't know about this.. From my perspective, it was a female Guard Person that kicked off the show as much as the singers, singing the  opening refrain along the front sidelines. It seemed to me that it was the simultaneous start by both in equal measure that started the show off. My eyes were drawn to the Guard soloist dance in motion as the only person in motion to begin the show, and my ears to the front sidelines singers that together opened the performance with the Guard. The show ended not with the Music, lest we forget either, but with the Guard/ Visuals ending the Show with the Theme's final messaging to audiences and judges alike..This is why from my perspective it is not one component ( such as " Music " ) that sells the theme, or " ties it all together ". its instead a combination, in equal measure, by the Guard/ Music/ Visuals that tend to drive the Themes with most Corps now. Boston's current staff has done a brilliant job so far in creatively putting such combinations together to dramatically improve Boston, imo

I am not speculating...this came right from the designers mouths...

Edited by Liahona

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

I am not speculating...this came right from the designers mouths...

What came from the Designers mouths ?  That the Music alone drives Boston's Themes the last 2 seasons and ( your words )" the Music is what ties the themes all together "  ? Not sure what you are referring too here, Liahona. The show ended with the Visuals/ Guard leaving behind the Theme's final messaging on the Field " BAC WAS HERE ". The Music selected and played was certainly a major component to the theme's deliverance to both judges and audiences alike. But it was not ( imo ) the Music chosen that Karuna said above ( and you agreed with) that kicked off the show, nor drove the Theme. It was all 3 components working in unison in equal measure.. Guard/ Visuals/ Music... that appropriately conveyed the Theme and its central messaging to both judges and audiences alike, imo. Music did not start, nor kick off the show. Neither did Guard. Both Guard and the Singers humming started the show simultaneously, and " SOS " was conveyed visually by the marchers, before the Brass line played the musical opener " Breathless Allelulia " enmasse in the start too.. By the end, it seemed pretty clear to me that the Theme was not primarily " music driven " by Boston's Show Designers, but in the end was a holistic approach that utilized all 3 elements to convey last season's Boston Crusaders Theme of " S.O.S ".

qaoYDQCLTTQHiPMP.jpg

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

What came from the Designers mouths ?  That the Music alone drives Boston's Themes the last 2 seasons and ( your words )" the Music is what ties the themes all together "  ? Not sure what you are referring too here, Liahona. The show ended with the Visuals/ Guard leaving behind the Theme's final messaging on the Field " BAC WAS HERE ". The Music selected and played was certainly a major component to the theme's deliverance to both judges and audiences alike. But it was not ( imo ) the Music chosen that Karuna said above ( and you agreed with) that kicked off the show, nor drove the Theme. It was all 3 components working in unison in equal measure.. Guard/ Visuals/ Music... that appropriately conveyed the Theme and its central messaging to both judges and audiences alike, imo. Music did not start, nor kick off the show. Neither did Guard. Both Guard and the Singers humming started the show simultaneously, and " SOS " was conveyed visually by the marchers, before the Brass line played the musical opener " Breathless Allelulia " enmasse in the start too.. By the end, it seemed pretty clear to me that the Theme was not primarily " music driven " by Boston's Show Designers, but in the end was a holistic approach that utilized all 3 elements to convey last season's Boston Crusaders Theme of " S.O.S ".

qaoYDQCLTTQHiPMP.jpg

I'm taking about the creative process...does not matter what something developed into...so unless you were a fly on the wall during that process ...then believe what you want I guess...in the end does it really matter?...they created two years of great shows....I could care less if the inspiration came out of a cracker jack box....lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Liahona said:

I'm taking about the creative process...does not matter what something developed into...so unless you were a fly on the wall during that process ...then believe what you want I guess...

Its true... we can all believe what we want. However, if one is interested in actually learning the process that Boston utilized for the 2018 show, here is Boston's staff explaining the process they utilized to select the Theme's constructs 1st then build the Music/ Visuals/ Attire afterwards around the Theme (  sense of loss, conflict, then Salvation ) selected. It was a holistic approach where no single element,( ie the Music) was chosen first to start the show, nor to principally drive the show, nor " tie it all together ". Boston's staff has great chemistry and they work very well together in the collaborative, shared process of putting their show together, once the Theme to be conveyed with its intended emotions to be conveyed to Judges/ audiences is decided upon ( Keith Potter, BAC Artistic Director, influenced ). Its an equal combo of Visuals/ Guard/ Music that both starts and completes Boston's shows & themes, & messaging now... both in 2017/ 2018, and presumably will be for 2019 as well.  https://www.flomarching.com/video/6219131-boston-crusaders-design-team-explains-sos

Edited by BRASSO

16 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Its true... we can all believe what we want. However, if one is interested in actually learning the process that Boston utilized for the 2018 show, here is Boston's staff explaining the process they utilized to select the Theme's constructs 1st then build the Music/ Visuals/ Attire afterwards around the Theme (  sense of loss, conflict, then Salvation ) selected. It was a holistic approach where no single element,( ie the Music) was chosen first to start the show, nor to principally drive the show, nor " tie it all together ". Boston's staff has great chemistry and they work very well together in the collaborative, shared process of putting their show together, once the Theme to be conveyed with its intended emotions to be conveyed to Judges/ audiences is decided upon ( Keith Potter, BAC Artistic Director, influenced ). Its an equal combo of Visuals/ Guard/ Music that both starts and completes Boston's shows & themes, & messaging now... both in 2017/ 2018, and presumably will be for 2019 as well.  https://www.flomarching.com/video/6219131-boston-crusaders-design-team-explains-sos

nvm

Edited by Liahona

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

oh good, I was beginning this was a Madison or old Cadets thread, ha, ha. :bigsmile:

Not even close:blow: