Boston Crusaders 2019

15 hours ago, Tim K said:

I would love that to be the case, and if they were ever to finagle things to use the John Williams music from the original film, that would be amazing.

Now I'm not certain if maybe the copyright laws were different BITD, but didn't we start hearing music from E.T. in like....1983? The movie came out in 1982 I think. 

I remember once my father (I know I have a lot of father comments but he was the one who pushed me to pursue drum and bugle corps,) said of the '95 Cavies show "They're playing Holst. That's great! I guess if you don't have the hornline to play Holst you can play something by John WIlliams since all of his music sounds just like it."  

32 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

There were giants in the Bible called the Nephilim.   Goliath was descended from them.  I have no idea what the theme is going to be.  Just thinking out loud.  

How about Jack and the beanstalk...thinking out loud

Considering "Giant" is corps song...I tend to think it may be a literal representation of that...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

As is, for many, the announcement for other corps.  Some are still disappointed their guess of last years Boston show being about Amelia E was wrong.

Well I think Jurrassic Park conceptually is a good guess...if only for this uncanny similiarity...

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Now I'm not certain if maybe the copyright laws were different BITD, but didn't we start hearing music from E.T. in like....1983? The movie came out in 1982 I think. 

I remember once my father (I know I have a lot of father comments but he was the one who pushed me to pursue drum and bugle corps,) said of the '95 Cavies show "They're playing Holst. That's great! I guess if you don't have the hornline to play Holst you can play something by John WIlliams since all of his music sounds just like it."  

John Williams is rather protective of his music. For about ten years or so it has been next to impossible for drum corps to get rights for his music. My guess is the same holds true for competitive high school and college bands as well. Someone I know who at one time worked for the Boston Symphony and knows John Williams well, and believes he all but walks on water claims he does not like his music rearranged. He also claims he has been burned by unauthorized use of some of his music in arrangements that he could not stand, especially “Jaws,” “Close Encounters,” and “Star Wars.” It’s not a money issue. He could earn quite a bit from licensing, it’s the integrity of his music. I do think he’s a gifted composer. Not sure he.’s in the same category as Holst but now that you mention it, the Star Wars” soundtrack does have traces of “The Planets” in the score.

I’m pretty sure Boston isn’t doing a Jurassic Park show which would be akin to a bad HS Band show from the 80s

i could see a take on a monster movie - the Japanese type Godzilla approach. Aka Crown Beast but well done narratively 

done well this could be a VERY good show - and timely - the new Godzilla movie looks so good

"Godzilla, King of Monsters" 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

Beast??