Boston Crusaders 2019

Had a chance to hear the majority of the show from the brass and percussion in a recording, and the main thing I can say is that this show is what I was imagining Boston would bring when the staff changes first happened, in that it's got some definite Crown undertones and a definite Cadets sound from the members if you put all the money in front of the design team and just gave them the freedom to do whatever. I'm VERY excited to see what comes of it.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

Had a chance to hear the majority of the show from the brass and percussion in a recording, and the main thing I can say is that this show is what I was imagining Boston would bring when the staff changes first happened, in that it's got some definite Crown undertones and a definite Cadets sound from the members if you put all the money in front of the design team and just gave them the freedom to do whatever. I'm VERY excited to see what comes of it.

What makes me excited about this staff is they are able to do creatively, whatever helps make them a champion.  Last year the only dictate from corps leadership was "make the horn line loud".   This staff gets to create unencumbered, and when I've seen them at ST they have a focus on performance from the very beginning.  Listening to the interviews it is clear they are collaborating in August to put out the next years show.  They listen to each other and respect each others ability and expertise.  That alone is probably the major factor to success.  Can't wait to hear some of the music. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

Gino and Colin have brought the musicians to a bold and fearless sound, worthy of Ryan George's arrangements.  Keith Potter's efforts to coordinate and balance the many visual/musical moving parts glue the product together. 

In spite of the local theme, Wicked Games elicited thoughts of "Crown/Cadets lovechild".  With SOS, the melting pot of design and member talent shed that image and felt distinctly BAC... didn't hurt that they spelled all that out in the drill :lol: :peek:.  "Freedom" is the word for 2019, @brassdude6171.  They've shed some limitations of the previous two years and are going to put out their best show yet.  For once, it does not feel necessary to speculate on scores, placements, etc.  The other corps are killing it in this off season and will definitely put out great products.  The activity is strong, and that's good.  Very glad that the kids have a show they can be proud to perform every night, and the freedom to feel their efforts will bring results.  

• Like 6

'Sounds' like their 79th year will be a great one. Thanks for the reviews and input. Talented staff and members, for sure. So glad McNutt returned home to where he started.

Good luck BAC and to all those performing, teaching and competing in 2019!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

it's got some seriously cool #### in there

• Like 2

I was a visual tech for BAC during the period of time when Colin was in the tenor line.  He was a teenager then but was focused on his playing like a laser.  While he was marching, current Exec Dir Chris Holland was in the hornline.  (Chris actually marched either 8 or 9 years in the corps, believe it or not). Also there is a contingent in the current BOD who were marching with these guys (or teaching)at the same time.  This organization is vintage BOSTON to its very core.  Every time someone mentions staff (especially Colin) being poached from somewhere else, I have to laugh.  Seriously? Colin, Chris, and others were Boston Crusaders before a lot of people on DCP were even born.  Their involvement in BAC and the resulting rise is not without reason...and actually very predictable to those of us who have been around the corps these many years. 

• Like 3

Corps and staffers have been freely moving between Drum Corps since DCI began. Prior to DCI, there were regional Drum Corps circuits that had transfer policies in place to restrict such wily nily, unfettered movements of marchers between Corps. It was done to add a degree of stability to the circuit. DCI decided however to allow uninterrupted, free flow of marchers/ staff between competing groups. Boston , for example, for years, was both the recipient as well as the conduit sender to other Corps of talented marchers/ staffers within the pecking order of DCI. That has not changed in decades. What has changed is that Boston has been the recipient of late of top tier staffers, marchers. But the movement of staffers and marchers between Corps is really nothing new under the sun here. That upward movement of Boston of late is the result of a revitalization from top to bottom organizationally at the Boston Crusaders. The revitalization has been accomplished with 5 year and long range plans that included making inroads into previously untapped resources,  both financial and otherwise, and building a larger BOD where the talents derived from careers both within and outside of Drum Corps could be tapped into and utilized to strengthen the 79 year old Drum Corps. As was said a number of times, people were asked to " leave their ego at the door " and work for the betterment of the whole... This has allowed an environment where staffers are given the freedom to work in a collaborative and creative  fashion where the end product we see/ hear on the field is the culmination of the efforts of many staffers, volunteers, marchers, alums,, and donors, both on and off the field. Drum Corps is indeed a team effort.  Its not an individual endeavor. Boston's remarkable success of late is not happenstance. It evolved methodically from the efforts of many, and yes, there are quite a few people there in important roles on staff,  Administration,  the BOD's,  Volunteers,  Fleet Operations,  Inspire Arts & Music, Donor Giving, etc that marched Boston back in the day as well. Quite a number of them were there helping out during Boston's lean years too, as a matter of fact.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

top staff will always attract kids, regardless of the uniform color or corps name. And Boston has put themselves in a position to attract top staff, 

On 5/6/2019 at 2:51 AM, brassdude6171 said:

Hey Brassdude, I for one am envious of you getting to hear a recording of the music for this year.  I hope to soon, but it will be at ST in Castleton in about 3 weeks. What I have heard of the corps has been about the brass line and the level they are playing and the difficulty of what they are playing.  I am very excited about that.  Gino's & Ryan Georges excitement during the interviews also has me cranked.

About that though, you mention there are definitely Crown undertones with the music but I don;'t know how that might be as no music staffer, is from Crown.  Not Ryan or Gino for brass.  Percussion is also not from Crown either.  Musical staff background is Cadets and other corps.   Ryan was not from Cadets and has been with Boston for a number of years now so what he writes is Boston.  I think we will see and hear a music and visual staff hitting their stride this year with a lot of talent that can handle whatever comes their way from this instructional team.  They are a performance oriented staff.  Loved everything you said though.

• Like 1