Boston Crusaders 2019

33 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

does anyone know what's being used from the daugherty?

Once Upon A Castle ( IV - "Xanadu")

• Like 1

The concept is accessible and most of the source music will be recognizable to many.  Also, the Rocky piece harkens back to BAC 1991, and just as was the case then, the underdog surviving and then prevailing certainly would seem to be an allegory on the Boston Crusaders.  Not hyping, but it would be a reasonable assumption that the upward trajectory of the corps seems like it might continue.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, craiga said:

The concept is accessible and most of the source music will be recognizable to many.  Also, the Rocky piece harkens back to BAC 1991, and just as was the case then, the underdog surviving and then prevailing certainly would seem to be an allegory on the Boston Crusaders.  Not hyping, but it would be a reasonable assumption that the upward trajectory of the corps seems like it might continue.

Your comments are in line with my own opinion that from those corps who have already announced their music selections, it would seem that the trend is toward memorable music or at least music which the audience might hum or imagine on the way home.  Even the more "esoteric" pieces have melody lines which are pleasant, tempos which are energetic and stirring, and yet almost all with a depth level which would allow a imaginative staff to create a drill (rather than merely play in place or pretend one was on a concert hall stage climbing scaffolding.)  It might be a great season to be an audience member. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Your comments are in line with my own opinion that from those corps who have already announced their music selections, it would seem that the trend is toward memorable music or at least music which the audience might hum or imagine on the way home.  Even the more "esoteric" pieces have melody lines which are pleasant, tempos which are energetic and stirring, and yet almost all with a depth level which would allow a imaginative staff to create a drill (rather than merely play in place or pretend one was on a concert hall stage climbing scaffolding.)  It might be a great season to be an audience member. 

After hearing it all together in April I'm just straight up excited for this summer! 

• Like 5

Is this mere coincidence or shades of Hyde Parks, Marcellus Place, and Park Ridges past?

This happens and somehow Crus' bod is able to pull off getting the rights to do a certain piece from Hamilton. Sure, coincidence?

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20190517/alexander-hamilton-letter-to-lafayette-stolen-decades-ago-resurfaces

Edited by xandandl

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

As always (well at least as of the more recent era of drum corps), it’s going to be all about how the arrangers decide to mash up all the pieces into their own creation.

I agree - after looking at and hearing the rep that is trickling in, I am hopeful so far that there will be some good musical moments this year.

• Like 1