Boston Crusaders 2019

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

Well this is going to be fun.   Not very often I feel like I can get a sense of the narrative arc of a show just based on the music but it seems very clear to me once again this year.  Rocky/Hamilton mashup is awesome.    Dying to see how their amazing guard brings that to life.  Tons of content in the brass and percussion books on a first listen.  I’m very impressed, gonna be another awesome season for these guys!  

It’s relentless.   Wow.  

• Like 3

Honestly...I'm speechless after that...excited af...

• Like 5

There is a lot of content in both brass and percussion writing. Some killer moments. The herald trumpet and trombone display is stupid good. The Rocky/Hamilton mashup was unexpected and quite clever. The voice overs seem forced and awkward, overly produced so they sound somewhere between cartoon characters and over actors, in this context. Do not care for the ballad at all. It does not help that so many commercials have used this tune for a variety of cheesy narratives. Though the ballad may have some visual intrigue, as a tune, I found it lacking in interest and emotional content that I do not think will be different live. My 2 cents. Excited to see it live. 

Edited by cadetzoid

2 minutes ago, cadetzoid said:

There is a lot of content in both brass and percussion writing. Some killer moments. The herald trumpet and trombone display is stupid good. The Rocky/Hamilton mashup was unexpected and quite clever. The voice overs seem forced and awkward, overly produced so they sound somewhere between cartoon characters and over actors, in this context. Do not care for the ballad at all. It doesn't not help that so many commercials have used this tune for a variety of cheesy narratives. Though the ballad may have some visual intrigue, as a tune, I found it lacking in interest and emotional content that I do not think will be different live. My 2 cents. Excited to see it live. 

I remember a time when voiceovers were not needed, because the corps and the guard was able to get the story across by themselves.  I'm not picking on Boston either, because many corps do this.  I just think there's a better way to tell stories than with voiceovers.

But WOW, that brass.  Again, very powerful, and I would say a HUGE uptick in volume from last year.  And the herald trumpet section - YES!!

Percussion is pretty much a given, but was difficult to critique from my video feed.

That is one SERIOUS brass line.  Herald trumpets... do you love them, or do you love them??  Special call out to the many excellent soloists!  What a sound coming from that trumpet line!  It's not easy to assemble such a strong upper brass and get them to play with such precision and quality.  

• Like 4

Stephan’s jaw dropped, his eyes bulging and he’s pacing like a lion in the living room repeating Boston is serious they’re bringing it - over and over again.

I’m like wait to we see the guard with that powerful music! Oh my! What are the judges going to do with that Giant? Stephan replied make room! 

• Like 3

Wait until you see where the herald trumpets are playing from....hint:  about 20 feet ABOVE the field surface....

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, craiga said:

Wait until you see where the herald trumpets are playing from....hint:  about 20 feet ABOVE the field surface....

REALLY?  20 feet is pretty high.  Like, higher than my 2-story house.  Are you sure it's THAT high?