Boston Crusaders 2019

4 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Main thought:

The music book is a huge step forward in Boston's trajectory upward as a corps. I *adored* Wicked Games & SOS during each season, but neither is a show I find myself listening to while driving or running particularly often --- in fact, up until now, I often categorized Boston's new style as challenging, well-designed, & sparklingly clean when it came to music books, but a bit vanilla. The music book this year is a noticeable step outside of said vanilla. Don't get me wrong, they've had the difficulty the last two years, but one could hardly call this show Excursions in Bb & Eb. That opener in particular is full of wonderfully dense & textured chords, and don't even get me started on that deliciously-written mello part that weaves throughout the opener while consistently staying in the stratosphere. The Rocky moment, the entirety of "My Shot" (I figured they'd just use a quote, but they really translated it to the field very well), AND THE TEARS FOR FEARS BALLAD! Spectacular.

But --- I think my vote for spine chilling actually goes to the herald trumpet/trombone feature. Nothing even remotely tame about that. Bold, intense, and stings you in the face in the best of all possible ways.

So....of course it's early and the visual design could be an absolute flop but....count me on board (well, I already was after the last 2 years, but even more so). This is a brash, valiant, exciting music book that has me looking forward to seeing it on the field immensely. 

Having spent last weekend sitting in the stadium in Vermont, I can assure you there are no visual worries here. The visual package is complete..and just as is the case with the horn book, it is an entire level above last year.  The guard literally seems to have picked up right where they left off last August. There is more and better coordinated drill than last year and the use of the props (there are five of them) is brilliant. There are a couple drill moves in particular which will be applause points imo.  Finally..and this is going to seem a strange comment...they are much TALLER than last year (and I didn't see them perform in uniform with the helmets on).  Can't wait for Detroit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

On DCP we don’t argue religion, so I won’t touch your religious point of view about the validity of the Bible, but the existence of the Philistines and Israelites can be validated by archeological evidence. I am also assuming the theme of the show is more in keeping with themes of the Malcolm Gladwell book “David and Goliath” rather than the Biblical account alone. Boston Crusaders shows often feature the underdogs being the true giants, similar to what Gladwell writes in his book.

That’s a historical point of view about things that happen only in a religious book, not a religious view.

2 hours ago, Tommeee said:

REALLY?  20 feet is pretty high.  Like, higher than my 2-story house.  Are you sure it's THAT high?

If Boston successfully did their human pyramid several years ago, a 20' high prop is nothing.

• Like 1

This book gave me a GINO Brass line feeling similar to Angels and Demons..

When his hornlines are cooking the Trumpets Sizzle, Their Articulation is impeccable. The hornline's power is unrelenting.

If this hornline can achieve that same energy while on the move, there is no reason why that hornline is matching the caption placements of their counterparts this year.

• Like 1

i gotta see Hamilton/Rocky on the field, because it felt very out of place t me watching the feed

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i gotta see Hamilton/Rocky on the field, because it felt very out of place t me watching the feed

Agree with you. Thought the first part of the show was great. Starting at the rocky/Hamilton mash up not so much (other then trumpet fanfare). Did not care for the ballad as well. Also the rocky throughout the ending felt forced to me. Really enjoyed the on the Shoulders of giants and the brass playing. But the rest of the show music fell flat for me. Obviously a Top Six show.

Edited by GREENBLUE

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I love the musical choices, they sound amazing for this time of the year, and they matched the excitement in the city this evening, hoping we’re on the way to another championship parade thanks to the Bruins. However, one thing I enjoyed outside of the show was the excitement of the kids in the front as BAC performed. They were caught quite a few times just being kids. Reminded me a bit of the CYO, Eastern Mass, and Mayflower Circuit shows. I can remember  being about the same age and watching the Class A/Senior drum corps and in the case of CYO and E Mass, bands compete. They were loud, exciting, and fun, and kids loved it. That’s what happened tonight. Great job, Boston Crusaders!

So true. I remember being their age and marching/competing in a C Corps. I'll never forget seeing and hearing the 1967 BAC for the first time... w/ their marching timps, multiheaded bass drums, a glock, the fierce CG and their phenom  brass and drum lines.  That sound! 

They had me hooked.and I joined a few years later.

I hope these young kids follow their dreams and enjoy their work,  output, camaraderie, competition and laughter... w/ their big boy/girl Corps.

As an oldster, I'm coming around to the field trombones and performance-related uniforms/costumes.

●●|●|●●●

• Like 1