Boston Crusaders 2019

I’ve listened to the standstill a couple times now. Quite an impressive musical debut for Boston

Content wise the book is clearly aimed at the top 4

It reminds me of Crown 2012 a bit, but without the Klesch influence 

There is a bit of notes for the sake of notes, and a bit too much blastissimo - however they will clean the sound out and shape the dynamics all summer

impressive! I would put Boston ahead of Crown at this point - just based on what I’ve heard and seen from both corps so far 

Edited by George Dixon

Just watched the video...

This is going to be a fun show to watch. I like the arrangement so far.  It is full of cheese, but hey, lay it on 😀.  Closer was nice. The voice over on the ballad seems unnecessary..let the musicians carry the tune, IMHO.  

Wish they were coming out west!

Best of luck to BAC this summer!

• Like 3

On 6/12/2019 at 4:18 PM, craiga said:

Wait until you see where the herald trumpets are playing from....hint:  about 20 feet ABOVE the field surface....

If their not climbing up the backside ala Bluecoats, maybe a hydraulic lift will finally make an appearance in a DCI show.  Maybe a huge skirt with a gold Waldo print on the front.

Anyways, it will look impressive.

4 hours ago, craiga said:

For the record, the music book for BAC is written by Ryan George and Colin McNutt.  I don't believe either of the men has ever been involved with Crown.

For the record, choosing the show music is not the sole prerogative of the arrangers.  They  -- you know -- arrange the music for marching brass and percussion.

6 hours ago, karuna said:

For the record, choosing the show music is not the sole prerogative of the arrangers.  They  -- you know -- arrange the music for marching brass and percussion.

For the record, Bostons design team each have a say in the program and it’s development. The entire package is not up to Keith Potter alone.  There is a great respect for each other’s opinions, input, abilities, skill and experience.  This is made clear in any interview that is produced. It is a collaborative process. They work together very well. Saying the arrangers “you know, arrange the music” undervalues and disrespects their contribution.

i am not buying the reference to Crown musically either, as some have mentioned.  That would mean that the music designers and writers are writing in Crowns style (another designer/writer) and not their own, as they have done in the past in their similar positions.

• Like 4

I for one wont question the Cheese-factor/ Taste-Level of Lin-Manuel Miranda. The majority of the Voice-overs are Lin-Manuel himself from arguably the most popular song from Hamilton.

The Word "Shot" is a major part of the Voice-overs and a major part of the story of David and Goliath. Where David slays Goliath with one Shot. As a Designer there is no way I am passing up the opportunity to use this song. Listening to the show, It is clear that they are setting up a literal battle between David and Goliath and the whole point of the show is watching David through his journey in defeating Goliath. 

I'd much rather have these literal Audio-Visual songs that support the theme of the show, than some vague original composition that supports the feeling, but does not connote such direct and strong references to the original Source Material, Hamilton and Rocky (Very strong Brand Recognition)

There seems to be a push from most of the top corps to have some strong "pop" recognizable source material in their shows to have a stronger connection with the audience.

(BD - Brittney Spears ; SCV- Metallica ; Bluecoats - Rumored 60's era source material)

And it is a welcome change in our activity. For so long it was so taboo to have anything played on the field that was ever played on the radio, Now it is becoming more common. So much so that I rarely hear the word CHEESE anymore when describing music. With the obvious effect being that if an Outsider hears a recognizable song played well on the Field, there is a better chance that they will have a stronger connection with that show than if it is unrecognizable original music.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

For the record, Bostons design team each have a say in the program and it’s development. The entire package is not up to Keith Potter alone.  There is a great respect for each other’s opinions, input, abilities, skill and experience.  This is made clear in any interview that is produced. It is a collaborative process. They work together very well. Saying the arrangers “you know, arrange the music” undervalues and disrespects their contribution.

i am not buying the reference to Crown musically either, as some have mentioned.  That would mean that the music designers and writers are writing in Crowns style (another designer/writer) and not their own, as they have done in the past in their similar positions.

Well duh! Of course the entire design team has input on music selection.  And I'm not sure where I said the name "Keith Potter" anywhere.  My (very simple) point (that has now been twisted into some sort of negative comment) was that music selection was not just up to arranger (whose primary function is to arrange!) .  

As for being "Crown"-like,  the productions the new designers have fielded are extremely Crown-like.  However the musical arrangements have not been. Nor has the characteristic sound.  Boston sounds like a Gino hornline and Colin percussion line.  So...despite your attempt to spin my comment as some sort of put down,  we AGREE.  (Oh the horror).  

58 minutes ago, karuna said:

Well duh! Of course the entire design team has input on music selection.  And I'm not sure where I said the name "Keith Potter" anywhere.  My (very simple) point (that has now been twisted into some sort of negative comment) was that music selection was not just up to arranger (whose primary function is to arrange!) .  

As for being "Crown"-like,  the productions the new designers have fielded are extremely Crown-like.  However the musical arrangements have not been. Nor has the characteristic sound.  Boston sounds like a Gino hornline and Colin percussion line.  So...despite your attempt to spin my comment as some sort of put down,  we AGREE.  (Oh the horror).  

I wasn't spinning.  I thought I was clarifying.  No you didn't say Keith Potter but the inference was clear.  My point being the "arrangers' are not just arranging.  Their roles are not so limited.  As far as the show being Crown-like, would it not be more Potter/May like?  You are right on the button with the Gino/Colin product.  I think Boston really pushes the collaboration when creating then developing a show.  That is a dictate of the leadership there, if there is any dictate at all with regard to show production and performance.  Well other than asking Gino to make the bras line loud as $#@%$.  Boston this year wants to prove they belong in the mix with the top tier with show design, GE and caption excellence.  You know agreeing isn't so horrible.  LOL

• Like 2