Boston Crusaders 2019

1 hour ago, karuna said:

As for being "Crown"-like,  the productions the new designers have fielded are extremely Crown-like.  However the musical arrangements have not been. Nor has the characteristic sound.  Boston sounds like a Gino hornline and Colin percussion line.  So...despite your attempt to spin my comment as some sort of put down,  we AGREE.  (Oh the horror).  

The hornline this year sounds way different to me.  Many moments where I think I'm listening to some 1970's or earlier drum corps.  This "Gino" hornline is different than anything that came before it.  Of course, a lot of the credit for that sound belongs to Ryan George, whose arrangements are MUCH different than what Jay Bocook produced when Gino was with The Cadets.

Colin and the drumline...  yeah, I'm always just mesmerized.  Demand is through the roof.  And the challenges he provides to the members just keep getting more and more interesting.  To me, it has evolved a lot from what he was doing with The Cadets, which makes sense, because that was three years ago.  In this day and age, three years ago was like a lifetime.

I watched Boston's Concert in The Park performance on TV last night and I thought the sound of the broadcast was not great.  A LOT of background noise that created a din over the sound of the corps.  That is the problem with being in downtown Boston at 5pm rush hour.  Lots of street noise.

Tonight they have another performance at the annual Spring Fling.  Hearing the corps tonight will be a whole different issue since they will be indoors in a somewhat small venue for the crowd and corps.  Ear plugs definitely required. But more of the brass  & percussion book will be audible versus the TV broadcast.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The corps sounds amazing and I love the percussion line this year but the music book (and the vocals) is so, so cheesy. You can tell this show is being produced by crown's old design team 

Nope. Sounds like a Ryan George book to me.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I wasn't spinning.  I thought I was clarifying.  No you didn't say Keith Potter but the inference was clear.  My point being the "arrangers' are not just arranging.  Their roles are not so limited.  As far as the show being Crown-like, would it not be more Potter/May like?  You are right on the button with the Gino/Colin product.  I think Boston really pushes the collaboration when creating then developing a show.  That is a dictate of the leadership there, if there is any dictate at all with regard to show production and performance.  Well other than asking Gino to make the bras line loud as $#@%$.  Boston this year wants to prove they belong in the mix with the top tier with show design, GE and caption excellence.  You know agreeing isn't so horrible.  LOL

Inferring is akin to assuming and you know what they say about that.  It’s a crap shoot as to who brings the music for a given production.  Heck sometimes even the drummers have a good idea!

I would venture to say that the Style or the way that a show is designed, or the way that a Brass line performs is a product of the Designer/ Caption head.. they own that the corps doesn't..

So all the years that Crown where under Potter/Leon/ Townsend their shows were designed to their aesthetic. The same way that Crown's Brassline sound doesn't belong to Crown, but to Harloff. If Harloff was teaching at Cadets, I'm sure they would sound like a Harloff Hornline. 

There are so many signature styles that are synonymous with a corps but at the end of the day if that Designer left to teach another corps that style would follow them.

Rennick Drumline, Chandler guard/show, Gaines Drill/show, Gino Brassline, Augnst Drumline, Potter Show, Mike Jackson Drumline, Klesch Music, Sacktig Drill.. etc.., 

These guys can move anywhere they want and within a couple of years of establishing and cultivating the talent, they will have their signature product on the field.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

I would venture to say that the Style or the way that a show is designed, or the way that a Brass line performs is a product of the Designer/ Caption head.. they own that the corps doesn't..

So all the years that Crown where under Potter/Leon/ Townsend their shows were designed to their aesthetic. The same way that Crown's Brassline sound doesn't belong to Crown, but to Harloff. If Harloff was teaching at Cadets, I'm sure they would sound like a Harloff Hornline. 

There are so many signature styles that are synonymous with a corps but at the end of the day if that Designer left to teach another corps that style would follow them.

Rennick Drumline, Chandler guard/show, Gaines Drill/show, Gino Brassline, Augnst Drumline, Potter Show, Mike Jackson Drumline, Klesch Music, Sacktig Drill.. etc.., 

These guys can move anywhere they want and within a couple of years of establishing and cultivating the talent, they will have their signature product on the field.

This kinda says it all!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

The same way that Crown's Brassline sound doesn't belong to Crown, but to Harloff. 

I think Klesch is more responsible for Crown's sound than Harloff. Go listen to Marcus High School, they have that same blend and balance that Crown has and they're arranged by Klesch. Meanwhile Avon High School has a very bright and intense kind of sound, taught by Harloff and arranged by Jay Bocook.

Edited by Brass Lover
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

I think Klesch is more responsible for Crown's sound than Harloff. Go listen to Marcus High School, they have that same blend and balance that Crown has and they're arranged by Klesch. Meanwhile Avon High School has a very bright and intense kind of sound, taught by Harloff and arranged by Jay Bocook.

But you are assuming that the Brass Caption head doesn't heavily influence HOW music is arranged to meet their ideal sound profiles and for the performers he/she is responsible for teaching. They work hand in hand and that is how they are successful.