Boston Crusaders 2019

13 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

I think Klesch is more responsible for Crown's sound than Harloff. Go listen to Marcus High School, they have that same blend and balance that Crown has and they're arranged by Klesch. Meanwhile Avon High School has a very bright and intense kind of sound, taught by Harloff and arranged by Jay Bocook.

It's a very close partnership and Matt actually does some arranging at Crown.  

Klesch was arranging for Academy -- they certainly did not sound like Crown.  

Listened to the recording this morning for the first time.  It's ... not at all what I expected.  For such a "classical" type theme, I expected much more fire and thunder, more like an operatic / Phantom type show.  Instead, the music is quirky, modern... and fantastic!  Can't even say *why* it's so grab-you-and-don't-let-go, but it is.  And what they bring that is unique against the rest of the top 5 is *speed*.  Man, a great deal of this show is pushing the tempos.  Can't wait to see this one in motion!

Mike

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Listened to the recording this morning for the first time.  It's ... not at all what I expected.  For such a "classical" type theme, I expected much more fire and thunder, more like an operatic / Phantom type show.  Instead, the music is quirky, modern... and fantastic!  Can't even say *why* it's so grab-you-and-don't-let-go, but it is.  And what they bring that is unique against the rest of the top 5 is *speed*.  Man, a great deal of this show is pushing the tempos.  Can't wait to see this one in motion!

Mike

Love the tempo changes, power, harmonies, and huge 'company front' type sound. Can't wait to see them.

16 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Can't even say *why* it's so grab-you-and-don't-let-go, but it is.  And what they bring that is unique against the rest of the top 5 is *speed*.  Man, a great deal of this show is pushing the tempos.  Can't wait to see this one in motion!

Mike

There is something wild in the sound that Gino created, in a good way, and very suitable to Boston. One doesn’t know whether to listen or run from it. 

This book requires some serious lung capacity!  Running five miles a day might build up the endurance to deliver this show, on the move.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

I'd much rather have these literal Audio-Visual songs that support the theme of the show, than some vague original composition that supports the feeling, but does not connote such direct and strong references to the original Source Material, Hamilton and Rocky (Very strong Brand Recognition)

This.  I suppose some might complain that the music is too on the nose, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the My Shot/Rocky mash-up works--and yes, it struck me as very Crown-esque, but in a good way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ediker said:

There is something wild in the sound that Gino created, in a good way, and very suitable to Boston. One doesn’t know whether to listen or run from it. 

This book requires some serious lung capacity!  Running five miles a day might build up the endurance to deliver this show, on the move.

This had me chuckling!  Despite a David and Goliath theme, it may turn out to be survival of the fittest!  I hear the drill has some pretty incredible moments!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, pbeau said:

Nope. Sounds like a Ryan George book to me.

You're both somewhat right.

14 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

I think Klesch is more responsible for Crown's sound than Harloff. Go listen to Marcus High School, they have that same blend and balance that Crown has and they're arranged by Klesch. Meanwhile Avon High School has a very bright and intense kind of sound, taught by Harloff and arranged by Jay Bocook.

I would say this is an interesting thought that has some amount of truth, but as worded, I would have to disagree. I believe bands and drum corps horn lines sound the way they do in regards to tone and blend based not on the arrangements, necessarily, but the fundamental sound concept that is in the instructor(s) heads, the one they demand is produced by their ensemble. Breathing, air use, upper body tension, playing in the center of their horn, exercises used, frequency of use of tuners, awareness of tuning responsibilities in chord and intervalic ally, mouthpiece choices, instrument brand, chop maturity, "abstract" tone concepts taught (bright, dark, round, pointed, etc.), frequency use of a harmony director, volume contribution per performer, number of performers on each part, field placement, range capabilities of those on first parts (this also affects key choices), etc. all affect tone, balance, and blend. These approaches are shared pretty commonly between the Crown staff and Marcus staff. Marcus could have players with better fundamental skills than the players at Avon. That said, yes, voice leading, density of scoring chords (closed versus open), use of chord tones beyond root-third-fifth, favored keys, treatment of melody with counter melody, ranges used, etc. can affect the way we reprieve tone, balance, blend. Matt approaches the winter and summer day-to-day aspects of brass rehearsals very differently than Gino. Their personalities are different. Their style of teaching is different. When great attention to detail is done happens differently, etc. So much goes into the sounds we hear coming from all brass sections. And finally, yes, Klesch often sounds like Klesch, Bocook like Bocook, Mozart like Mozart, etc. Thanks for bringing up an interesting thought.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, westcoastblue said:

Breathing, air use, upper body tension, playing in the center of their horn, exercises used, frequency of use of tuners, awareness of tuning responsibilities in chord and intervalic ally, mouthpiece choices, instrument brand, chop maturity, "abstract" tone concepts taught (bright, dark, round, pointed, etc.), frequency use of a harmony director, volume contribution per performer, number of performers on each part, field placement, range capabilities of those on first parts (this also affects key choices), etc. all affect tone, balance, and blend.  

Maybe marching when I did wasn't so bad after all.  I don't think I could check off any of those boxes!