Boston Crusaders 2019

16 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I was not aware of such a situation in 1998.  What happened, and how did they recover so effectively?

I'm sure some who have connections or first hand experience with the BOD and higher ups can attest for the Financial reasons why the corps was saved but from a standpoint of what was happening on the field.

Suncoast Sound. Various members who marched in the Suncoast Sound and friends (H-Dub, Kevin Ford, Bob Barfield, Johnny Zollo, Tom Santino, John Campese, Rich viano etc..,)  who at the time had affiliations with Tarpon Springs took over the production design and along with having camps in South Florida infused the Corps with new talent. That new talent got a taste for Drum Corps and made Boston a contender.

Now this purely my take on it being from South Florida, and being part of said talent. But I think even the most diehard Boston (Super-vet) would attribute some of the new success in 99 and the early 2000 to having camps in South Florida and having the ability to field a full-size corps along with a new design team that brought some new fresh ideas to the table.. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Wasn't there also a short period (80's?) where the corps recruited mm from Virginia Tech to help them survive?

Not Virginia Tech.  More like Virginia High schools.  For 1982.  A number of kids from Virginia Beach.  Years later as noted in a previous post the corps was infused with a lot of kids and staffers from Florida.  That connection to Florida remains to this day.  There are a lot of Giants in Florida.  And Virginia Beach too.  There was one other survival point.  A vote was taken after CYO Nationals (same night) at UMASS to decide if the corps went on the road or went home.  Obviously the road beckoned.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, E3D said:

I am a fan, and I marched. That does give my takes/posts an edge no doubt. I thought your "enlightened" opinion on cheese was taking a shot. So I took my shot with an "enlightened" opinion of your post - specifically your cheese. obviously YMV. 

"I (BAC) am not throwing away my shot"...I'm already thinking about the lyrics....lol

Edited by Liahona
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I was not aware of such a situation in 1998.  What happened, and how did they recover so effectively?

I can tell you that the 1998 season was a rough one, financially. Following that season, meeting(s) were held in an attempt to come up with a viable fix. The options discussed did not bode well for the future of the corps. Thankfully, the BOD along with some very dedicated alumni decided (and I quote) "We weren't ready to let this die."

It has taken alot of hard work the last 20 years. In looking back, I think  the best move made was the establishment/formation of Inspire Arts & Music as the "parent" organization of the Boston Crusaders. and the creation of and actually following sound business practices and procedures.

3 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

I'm sure some who have connections or first hand experience with the BOD and higher ups can attest for the Financial reasons why the corps was saved but from a standpoint of what was happening on the field.

Suncoast Sound. Various members who marched in the Suncoast Sound and friends (H-Dub, Kevin Ford, Bob Barfield, Johnny Zollo, Tom Santino, John Campese, Rich viano etc..,)  who at the time had affiliations with Tarpon Springs took over the production design and along with having camps in South Florida infused the Corps with new talent. That new talent got a taste for Drum Corps and made Boston a contender.

Now this purely my take on it being from South Florida, and being part of said talent. But I think even the most diehard Boston (Super-vet) would attribute some of the new success in 99 and the early 2000 to having camps in South Florida and having the ability to field a full-size corps along with a new design team that brought some new fresh ideas to the table.. 

Regarding the Florida connection........ the infusion of talent (both staff & members) from Florida really began in the 1998 season, with the hiring of Tom Santino. Howard was brought in for the '99 season to run the "on-field" product. I believe the others that Glenn426 mentioned arrived for the 2000 or 2001 season.

Having been involved for going on 33 seasons, I know of no one who does not attribute at least some of the corps success to the connections made with Florida.

Excited for the 2019 drum corps season to begin!! 

• Like 7

Anyone go to the free show in VT tonight and want to share your thoughts?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Yes, i agree. A shout out to the Braddock H.S. kids that rounded up a gang . Also Tom Santino. Will not forget seeing 70 horn players at the Davie Middle School when I pulled the equipment trailer into the lot in January .Memory is slipping, but think it was 1998. It was a good day for BAC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluehull said:

Yes, i agree. A shout out to the Braddock H.S. kids that rounded up a gang . Also Tom Santino. Will not forget seeing 70 horn players at the Davie Middle School when I pulled the equipment trailer into the lot in January .Memory is slipping, but think it was 1998. It was a good day for BAC

Definitely 99 my friend... Glad to see you around!