Boston Crusaders 2019

2 hours ago, E3D said:

You guys on the East coast were tight. Same in the place where I grew up - same Irish just a different accent. Not saying everyone was Irish just that the majority of the folks I grew up with were Scotts and Irish and their accents were not the same as the east coast. a little drawl to be certain. 

I think that is what makes BAC such a tight group. Regardless of race etc. there is a bond of brothers and sisters. It is a strange accomplishment for a corps that was once on the brink. But that very reason the people who came before the Holland trip, was The reason the corps was Giants to till today. 

Ok yes I made fun of 27 and their "we gave all we had and had nothing left to give". Just think if they would have had the means to continue on. not get taken by the DESIGN of it all. Who knows. Maybe Garfield would have never made it to where they are or were. 

Dino time out. 

I’ve thought for years that if BAC made finals in 1978 which given how strong they were that year should have happened, 27th took the title in 1980, and North Star had been able to hold on, three corps from Massachusetts could have made the 80’s and drum corps history very different. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I’ve thought for years that if BAC made finals in 1978 which given how strong they were that year should have happened, 27th took the title in 1980, and North Star had been able to hold on, three corps from Massachusetts could have made the 80’s and drum corps history very different. 

There were so many corps from MA.  The activity seemed to dry up here, as it began to flourish elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, Ediker said:

There were so many corps from MA.  The activity seemed to dry up here, as it began to flourish elsewhere.

Part of it was economic, no question. People moved from the city to the suburbs and drum corps did not adjust as well to the suburbs though there were some great corps from the suburbs: St. Mary’s Cardinals, Holy Family Defenders, Pembroke Imperials, and St. Francis Sancians to name a few. More youth activities certainly played a role. Also when Proposition 2 1/2 was passed, many music programs were decimated and that probably didn’t help. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tim K said:

there were some great corps from the suburbs: St. Mary’s Cardinals, Holy Family Defenders, Pembroke Imperials, and St. Francis Sancians to name a few.  

Can I give a shout out to the Braintree D&BC?  My first corps was the Braves and Ed Denon and Paul Palangi, , my first instructors.  Then the Warriors for a few years before moving on to the Boston Crusaders.  (We won't talk about the other corps from Braintree, MA, St. Thomas Moore.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Can I give a shout out to the Braintree D&BC?  My first corps was the Braves and Ed Denon and Paul Palangi, , my first instructors.  Then the Warriors for a few years before moving on to the Boston Crusaders.  (We won't talk about the other corps from Braintree, MA, St. Thomas Moore.)

St. Thomas More, English chancellor and martyr.  Thomas Moore is another famous guy but not a canonized Saint.

Interesting thesis/dissertation topic for some creative sociology/American studies type might be cross-patterning analysis of the demise of drum corps, Catholic schools, and the closing of parishes in Greater Boston. They all followed the same path as vocations and families dwindled, Florida grew, and dogs replaced children and grandchildren.

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Just so you know, the incredible rifle line for Boston in the late 70's,  had 3 killer rifles, all from St Thomas Moore.  So I'm not clear what the issue is with St. Thomas Moore.  There were instructors for them from Boston too.

20 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Just so you know, the incredible rifle line for Boston in the late 70's,  had 3 killer rifles, all from St Thomas Moore.  So I'm not clear what the issue is with St. Thomas Moore.  There were instructors for them from Boston too.

STM was just another Braintree corps who we used to have fun with.  Not like the Boston corps used to do to each other.  We'd see each other at school and other non corps activities. They may have been Sir Thomas Moore by the period of time you mentioned.

9 hours ago, Ghost said:

STM was just another Braintree corps who we used to have fun with.  Not like the Boston corps used to do to each other.  We'd see each other at school and other non corps activities. They may have been Sir Thomas Moore by the period of time you mentioned.

You may be right.  Boston was recruiting those kids and a few joined.  Great Saders!

50 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

You may be right.  Boston was recruiting those kids and a few joined.  Great Saders!

Since Ed Denon was involved with the Braves/Warriors, he may have talked to our parents, without us knowing it, about joining Boston.  I know of three of us who left.

11 hours ago, Ghost said:

My guess is they went from St. Thomas More to Sir Thomas More when the parish no longer sponsored the corps. I think that was in the early 70’s. I seem to recall that they were announced as St. Thomas More at competitions but program books always listed Sir Thomas More. I can recall something similar with Defenders. They were always announced as Holy Family Defenders at CYO and Eastern Mass competitions even after they were no longer affiliated with the parish (1978, maybe?), but program books would list them as Defenders.