Boston Crusaders 2019

The final production camp of the 2019 season is complete after a successful late April weekend in Lakewood Ranch, FL. Without question, the buzz of drum corps season was present throughout the weekend.

Guard auditions brought back many familiar faces returning for another season of BACCG. New talent was in abundance as the brand of the award winning color guard is at an all time high. The choreography, the design, and the writing of the guard work attracts a special type of performer. Michael Townsend, Brady Sanders, and the full team were all on hand to teach and evaluate. No doubt the 2019 guard will be another great chapter for all to enjoy. Congrats to all who went after it and to those chosen to travel to Castleton, Vermont for move-ins.

Brass and percussion spent the remainder of the weekend putting together several show productions for the design team. Ryan George, Colin McNutt, Keith Potter, Mike Zellers and Iain Moyer were on site to bring more sections of the 2019 production to life. The brass learned the first minute and a half of drill on Saturday morning under the watchful eye of designer Leon May. It was a good introduction to the learning process. At the public performance on Sunday, the ensemble performed 9 minutes of show material. By the reaction of the crowd on hand – we are on to something special.

Many thanks to all of our volunteers, our admin team, and the unsung heroes behind the scenes that make it possible for our members to experience drum corps on the highest level. Dr. Vivien completed all the necessary medical on-boarding of our 2019 guard, while Barb Ferguson and Jeanne Cirillo captured the measurements for costumes.

The Lakewood Ranch community came out in full support and we had lots of local alumni, parents, and friends in the stadium on Sunday afternoon.

https://bostoncrusaders.org/2019/04/april-production-camp-recap/?fbclid=IwAR1DKUhTIJvAkn2Ed-bnkuq1Njh3SY-RiRPrK03v_6X3nUCvgmBQJUFHIcw

•  
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Ghost said:

Will pull it up later, but is it similar to their comments about putting together last years show?

The video does have Leon May mention that they have 120+ pages written so far.... that the team writes about a song a month.... that this weekend the Corps worked outdoors on the drill ( mentioned above also in the Corps April Camp update )... May mentioned that for example, the Baritones were marching  from dot to dot in a section and Brady  Sanders  ( Choreography  team ) was already creatively incorporating some thoughts on how the Bari's will move from those steps created for the show by Leon. So there was info shared that apply to 2019, but not to previous years, although how Leon and Keith work together is a collaborative approach in Design that has pretty much remained in sync for a lot of years between the two. Next up this week, will be other staffers at Boston being interviewed this past weekend and the interview posted either later today or tomorrow.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Ediker said:

For the curious, some general observations from the exhibition: 

• The music is drawn from several different art forms (pop, film, etc.) with the eclectic melodies cleverly weaving together into fantastic builds... recognizable, memorable, and musical.  Contrasting with the last two years, it is possible we'll hear more soft passages interspersed with the hard charging moments, providing more variety to the sound.  
  • As someone else mentioned, brass is not tight, but it's appropriate for an ensemble in April, particularly with a book this tough.  It was a long weekend of playing, and by Sunday the tone sometimes got edgy in the trumpet section... though nothing more concerning than "final exam chops".  They made up for it by demonstrating expert execution of some double-tongued decrescendo passages.  Very sweet stuff.  Praying that these moments don't get lost in the amplification.  This is a very talented line with an ambitious book.  Endurance will be key to delivering on the field.  Get ready to hear plenty of complex articulations -- all sections, all levels -- that go well beyond top-12's seemingly compulsory chromatic runs.  There will be MELODY while the valves fly!  They will have tongues like machine guns by July. 
  • The rhythms and meter signatures are varied and interesting.  It will be fun to see what the drill/movement people create to accompany them.
  • The percussion section stands out due to their age and performance maturity.  Even a layman can tell they're darn good.. and ready to take on this summer's challenges.  The percussion breaks seem better integrated into the overall musical flow than in the past (either that, or they're not yet in the show).
  • Didn't get to see the guard... no doubt there were tough membership decisions in progress.

Well since all this validates what I've heard through the grapevine, I will say that design wise, this seems like the most interesting show I've heard about so far and I've heard at minimum loose details about all of the top 10 or so. Seems like a cohesive idea with rep that both the cast and the audience can get behind, which is honestly pretty hard to find year-to-year, even at the top of the landscape. I've also been wondering if the show's possible political undertones (in the landscape of DCI, not in the landscape of government or anything like that) are intentional or not.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

I've also been wondering if the show's possible political undertones (in the landscape of DCI, not in the landscape of government or anything like that) are intentional or not.

Nothing I’ve seen/heard has suggested any kind of statement. This is going to be a fun and engaging show that will show everyone why we fans love this activity. 

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Nothing I’ve seen/heard has suggested any kind of statement. This is going to be a fun and engaging show that will show everyone why we fans love this activity. 

True.  A political themed or politically tinged show ?  DCI.. or otherwise ? No. The Theme will not be that, that much can be publically shared re. the 2019 Theme, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

The 2nd round of interviews with Boston Crusaders staff is up from Marching Arts Website posted today. Today, Ryan George and Gino Cipriani's interviews from this weekend's Boston Camp.

https://marchingartseducation.com/boston-crusaders-april-camp-2019/

• Like 6

Today, Marching Arts Education put up on their website their interview with Boston Crusaders staffers Kylee Hubbard and Michael Townshend.

Their final series of Boston Crusaders Staff interviews will bring in Keith Potter, then a bit after that, they'll be exclusive footage of Boston's recent Color Guard auditions ( this last feature will be for " Members Only " of the Marching Arts Education Community there, it states on there. )

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

this last feature will be for " Members Only " of the Marching Arts Education Community there, it states on there. )  

Looks like I'll have to wait for the book to come out.  Thank you B for posting the videos.

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Looks like I'll have to wait for the book to come out.  Thank you B for posting the videos.

You're welcome.. I've really enjoyed listening to these interviews with Boston's staff.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:03 PM, BRASSO said:

The 2nd round of interviews with Boston Crusaders staff is up from Marching Arts Website posted today. Today, Ryan George and Gino Cipriani's interviews from this weekend's Boston Camp.

Gino makes some REALLY compelling comments here.  I have no information at all about this years production, but I’m totally hyped after watching that!

• Like 3