Boston Crusaders 2019

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Interesting comment. I’m not sure they look Roman, at least to me, but all we know about the Philistines is that they wore suits of armor,  and once source states that the soldier provides his own armor and more armor meant a higher status. The Israelites were still Twelve Tribes at this point. King Saul was not able to unify the tribes which happened under King David, and at this point he was still the young ruddy youth who tended sheep. 

So if Biblical and archeological sources can’t say for certain, what the uniforms looked like or if there were uniforms, you might as well look stylish. 

But of course when the only record of the events, the people, and the governments involved is the freaking bible, who knows if any of them actually existed in the first place. It most likely all just a made up story.

Edited by Minimaster
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Wonderful performances! Thanks, Inspire/BAC. So proud of you all.

(Continue to) Work hard, aim very high, and take no prisoners.

••|•|••• ♥ The David, Goliath, Elah Valley, W/ a Pic!

Edited by CorpwithanS
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

But of course when the only record of the events, the people, and the governments involved is the freaking bible, who knows if any of them actually existed in the first place. It most likely all just a made up story.

On DCP we don’t argue religion, so I won’t touch your religious point of view about the validity of the Bible, but the existence of the Philistines and Israelites can be validated by archeological evidence. I am also assuming the theme of the show is more in keeping with themes of the Malcolm Gladwell book “David and Goliath” rather than the Biblical account alone. Boston Crusaders shows often feature the underdogs being the true giants, similar to what Gladwell writes in his book.

• Like 5

Saw it live.

The park itself is delightful. A wonderful patch of green space. Quite lovely.

That hornline has POWER. Excellent dynamic contrast, good tone, good blend...heckuva lot of volume.

Didn't get a good read on percussion from my position. Pit is doing some interesting stuff technically that could pay dividends (how they stick some of the four-mallet work).

The music itself...the Rocky/Hamilton mashup didn't sell as well for me in person as it did on video, apparently. Appreciated it from a "that was unexpected" perspective. The herald trumpets were awesome, though. So were the trombones. The ballad would be better without the vocals, or with them live...though part of that may be me judging against Wicked Games.

But it's also just possible that I'm just not a fan of George's arranging--I appreciate it without necessarily liking it, and that's been true since at least "Rise."

It could definitely medal just off of hornline power and guard, but I have no clue who I would peg to move down.

That said: great event all around. Glad I was able to attend. And Conquest was as awesome as ever.

Also: I would guess that if they have a late-season addition...it would make a lot of sense for Giant to make an appearance.

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Like 2

Main thought:

The music book is a huge step forward in Boston's trajectory upward as a corps. I *adored* Wicked Games & SOS during each season, but neither is a show I find myself listening to while driving or running particularly often --- in fact, up until now, I often categorized Boston's new style as challenging, well-designed, & sparklingly clean when it came to music books, but a bit vanilla. The music book this year is a noticeable step outside of said vanilla. Don't get me wrong, they've had the difficulty the last two years, but one could hardly call this show Excursions in Bb & Eb. That opener in particular is full of wonderfully dense & textured chords, and don't even get me started on that deliciously-written mello part that weaves throughout the opener while consistently staying in the stratosphere. The Rocky moment, the entirety of "My Shot" (I figured they'd just use a quote, but they really translated it to the field very well), AND THE TEARS FOR FEARS BALLAD! Spectacular.

But --- I think my vote for spine chilling actually goes to the herald trumpet/trombone feature. Nothing even remotely tame about that. Bold, intense, and stings you in the face in the best of all possible ways.

So....of course it's early and the visual design could be an absolute flop but....count me on board (well, I already was after the last 2 years, but even more so). This is a brash, valiant, exciting music book that has me looking forward to seeing it on the field immensely. 

• Like 3

I love the musical choices, they sound amazing for this time of the year, and they matched the excitement in the city this evening, hoping we’re on the way to another championship parade thanks to the Bruins. However, one thing I enjoyed outside of the show was the excitement of the kids in the front as BAC performed. They were caught quite a few times just being kids. Reminded me a bit of the CYO, Eastern Mass, and Mayflower Circuit shows. I can remember  being about the same age and watching the Class A/Senior drum corps and in the case of CYO and E Mass, bands compete. They were loud, exciting, and fun, and kids loved it. That’s what happened tonight. Great job, Boston Crusaders!

• Like 4