Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

2 hours ago, DWW11 said:

Nothing in the Inquirer today that I see, print OR online.  And I did a query at USAToday and got nothing.

2 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

This should be super interesting.... This story has been in developing mode for a while now.... 

**Insert Suspense Music HERE**

I shared what the Cavaliers mms (8) and parents told me as we awaited our flights. Philly paper also has the AG report which affects the churches in PA; drum corps a lesser issue.

26 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I shared what the Cavaliers mms (8) and parents told me as we awaited our flights. Philly paper also has the AG report which affects the churches in PA; drum corps a lesser issue.

Why would churches in PA be affected? 

25 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Why would churches in PA be affected? 

Two different news stories (but maybe similar themes).  The church one is a bigger news cycle than DCI... but both most likely relevant. 

Edited by Wog

I'm waiting for the day a corps decides to use a computer program to design a show. Solely a computer program. As in, the computer itself designs the show.

It will happen.

Maybe 20 years from now, but it will happen.

On an unrelated note, I can't wait for the day computers are added to the justing panel.

Just now, BoyWonder1911 said:

I'm waiting for the day a corps decides to use a computer program to design a show. Solely a computer program. As in, the computer itself designs the show.

It will happen.

Maybe 20 years from now, but it will happen.

On an unrelated note, I can't wait for the day computers are added to the justing panel.

Are you sure some staffs didn't do that this year?  I listened to a 30 minute discussion of one corps show and it still didn't make any sense.  Great playing, just uninteresting show...like nobody on the staff wanted to connect with the audience in any way.  

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Nespy said:

Are you sure some staffs didn't do that this year?  I listened to a 30 minute discussion of one corps show and it still didn't make any sense.  Great playing, just uninteresting show...like nobody on the staff wanted to connect with the audience in any way.  

No.im not sure, but I'm also not sure what you're implying either. Obviously the technology isn't there for a computer to design a competitive show...yet.

2 hours ago, jpaul said:

Just ask every potential hire in every drum corps to sign away their civil rights, even if they've done absolutely nothing wrong. hmm.

I'm big... very big... on protecting individual rights, and am no ally on Big Gov't or Biz, Universities, snooping on private citizens without their consent, nor denying them their Revolution won, blood spilled, Rights of Speech, Religion, Peaceable Assembly, Press, Right to Bear Arms, etc.

However... when its a balancing act of Rights between applicants for Employment, and protecting the most vulnerable among us, ie the Children, Minors, I fall on the side of protecting the most vulnerable. No applicant is required to forceably make Application to any Corps that might ask them these questions. They can freely opt out of making Application to such Corps if they believe this is too intrusive for them personally to participate here in such questions, and demand for afidavit signings. When one makes application, for example, for Life Insurance, or Health Insurance, Companies are legally authorized to ask on the Application all manner of personal questions, including prior convictions, hazardous or risky hobbies, marital status,  travel plans,  exercise or lack thereof habits, prior ( and current ) drug useage, and dozens of other personal assessment questions. This is done to protect the Companies Rghts to properly evaluate the Risk to them, and to assign appropriate premiums to be paid for approving the Risk to them. So if Companies can be legally allowed to ask sensitive and private questions to protect their Companies and Shareholders, I see no reason at all why Drum Corps can not ask similarly private and sensitive questions to protect the Children/ Minors in their charge.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

DCI drum corps must follow the laws of the state in which they are incorporated.  If their home state requires for example, finger printing and criminal background checks then that is what they must do.  They are also free to devise any employment application they like, which may include having the applicant answer questions about criminal history, substance abuse and the like.  In addition, all employees these days are on legally binding contracts which may also include codes of conduct, etc.  Said employees are free to enter into the contract or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jpaul said:

Just ask every potential hire in every drum corps to sign away their civil rights, even if they've done absolutely nothing wrong. hmm.

There is no "civil right" to hide a history of sexually or otherwise inappropriate behavior from an employer whose business could be jeopardized by having you work with them. Those who, for whatever reason, don't feel confident that their past stands up to scrutiny would likely take a pass on signing the form, in which case it would already have done its work. In either case, it'd be their choice.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

On 8/13/2018 at 10:40 AM, DCIPhan78 said:

I didn't know that. Makes a lot of sense but I was just unaware that there was actually a date that was a hard date for them to start the process of shifting staffs around.

For official announcements being made...not the actual shift of staff...that was decided after what happened 2 years ago with Boston's new staff announcements...