Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

1 hour ago, oldbandguy said:

Does Glyce do all of the writing for BD? I thought John Mehan (brass) and Scott Johnson (perc) also do some of the arranging.  You are probably correct the Glyce does both brass and perc, but I don't think he does it all.

My phone sucks. It’s David Glyde**

Looks like Colorguard isn’t the only caption head who will be new at blue knights next summer. 

Neil Adkison - Resigns as the blue knights visual caption head 

Being selected to be the visual caption head for the Blue Knights these last 4 seasons has been an absolute honor. I’ve learned to smile and laugh again and gained more confidence as an educator. I’ve made a lot of new friends and met my fiancé here! I’ve worked along side some of the best instructors I’ve ever met and taught the greatest members I could have ever hoped to meet. 

I’m stepping aside as caption head to focus on our upcoming wedding and to become the best special education teacher I can be (and take a little bit of time to focus on me). This is definitely not a goodbye! Just a good ol see ya later on down the road. Thank you everyone I get to work with, especially this visual team Jon Popham, Matthew David Osborn, Matthew J. Barkley, Eric Homol, Jonathan Halvorson, Ashley Bushwood, Austin de la Rua, Zach Santos, John Joseph, Andrew Desmond, and James Gow. And of course our previous teammates who have had to take a break or have moved on Brittany Graham, Spencer Smith, Kyle Marx, Bill Redd, Katie Sullivan, and everyone else who’s helped. A special thank you to Mark Arnold, Ricky Grasso, and Ethan Goddard for your endless work for the corps. You are absolutely inspiring and have helped me become a better human. Thank you all!!!”

-LIA

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Does Glyce do all of the writing for BD? I thought John Mehan (brass) and Scott Johnson (perc) also do some of the arranging.  You are probably correct the Glyce does both brass and perc, but I don't think he does it all.

David Glyde**

5 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

Looks like Colorguard isn’t the only caption head who will be new at blue knights next summer. 

Neil Adkison - Resigns as the blue knights visual caption head 

Being selected to be the visual caption head for the Blue Knights these last 4 seasons has been an absolute honor. I’ve learned to smile and laugh again and gained more confidence as an educator. I’ve made a lot of new friends and met my fiancé here! I’ve worked along side some of the best instructors I’ve ever met and taught the greatest members I could have ever hoped to meet. 

I’m stepping aside as caption head to focus on our upcoming wedding and to become the best special education teacher I can be (and take a little bit of time to focus on me). This is definitely not a goodbye! Just a good ol see ya later on down the road. Thank you everyone I get to work with, especially this visual team Jon Popham, Matthew David Osborn, Matthew J. Barkley, Eric Homol, Jonathan Halvorson, Ashley Bushwood, Austin de la Rua, Zach Santos, John Joseph, Andrew Desmond, and James Gow. And of course our previous teammates who have had to take a break or have moved on Brittany Graham, Spencer Smith, Kyle Marx, Bill Redd, Katie Sullivan, and everyone else who’s helped. A special thank you to Mark Arnold, Ricky Grasso, and Ethan Goddard for your endless work for the corps. You are absolutely inspiring and have helped me become a better human. Thank you all!!!”

-LIA

Considering their struggles on the visual side, this may be a blessing in disguise 

10 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Ny understanding is that Glyde maps out the arrangements, but ScoJo handles the battery writing and Mehan the brass arrangements (much the same as a B'way composer usually hands orchestration over to another set of hands).

Agree that Markworth is doing well enough at Crossmen, so there's no need for them to look elsewhere unless there's a major proven player to be hand.. Not sold on Pitts at Regiment, but it could be he's just part of a larger lack of vision on the part of the overall programming position and with better direction he can write more interesting charts.

All that said, Michael Martin at Cavaliers is the only real rock star when it comes to the new arrangers out there; hoping for their sake that they've got him contracted for several more years, since his work is only getting better by the year.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, xandandl said:

Ugh?  Star of Indiana is the perfect example of going after big names to gain success (Zingali, Prime, DeLucia, Van Doren, Brubaker) in a way somewhat parallel to current Boston Crusaders. But just as Star developed younger talent who impact us still today (Harloffs, Todd Ryan, eg.) so Boston is doing with a very young but talented tech staff in brass, guard and percussion especially. 

Yahh I should have worded my post staying that Star was the poster corps for this. My first paragraph was more what I like to see and the second was the opposite etc. 

Last time I checked Boston Crusaders was not created over night and buying up everyone in site. They have had a corps for a very long time. Not a instant pop up etc. Them getting staff is just a good example of a corps generating interest to do better. 

Edited by E3D

31 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Ny understanding is that Glyde maps out the arrangements, but ScoJo handles the battery writing and Mehan the brass arrangements (much the same as a B'way composer usually hands orchestration over to another set of hands).

Agree that Markworth is doing well enough at Crossmen, so there's no need for them to look elsewhere unless there's a major proven player to be hand.. Not sold on Pitts at Regiment, but it could be he's just part of a larger lack of vision on the part of the overall programming position and with better direction he can write more interesting charts.

All that said, Michael Martin at Cavaliers is the only real rock star when it comes to the new arrangers out there; hoping for their sake that they've got him contracted for several more years, since his work is only getting better by the year.

While I agree that Michael Martin is doing a good job with the Cavaliers, as I mentioned in another thread, I hope as a design team they choose not to go the mash up route like they’ve done the past three years. Even if they don’t eliminate it entirely just give us less of it (maybe in one part only). Could help the corps to connect with the audience more if they finish a musical thought.

1 hour ago, E3D said:

Last time I checked Boston Crusaders was not created over night and buying up everyone in site. They have had a corps for a very long time. Not a instant pop up etc. Them getting staff is just a good example of a corps generating interest to do better. 

It'd be intellectually dishonest not to acknowledge that their rise from 12th to 5th in two seasons was accomplished at least in part by firing their old design staff and hiring established design and instructional talent from Crown and Cadets. The current staff wasn't developed in-house. Nothing wrong with bringing in big guns,  but it is what it is.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 2