Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

This thread is exhausting. Any chance an OP can be updated with changes as they happen like the show announcements? Or someone can update a spreadsheet? :innocent: this way everyone can BS as they please but all the announced changes are in one place?

• Like 6

On 8/17/2018 at 1:10 PM, leadsop04 said:

Here's a question to semi get us back on topic:

Why are so many drum corps trying to get "a big name" instead of some young fresh talent that are hungry to climb the ranks?

Look at Mandarins going from 17th to 10th in two years with a relatively unknown design team on the visual side. I mean that in absolutely no disrespect to these people!! They did amazing work!!! My point being if Mandarins had went with "big names" while not getting their 100% attention would they even be in the place they are in competivitely? 

I could see the desirability of getting these big names but some drum corps have nothing else to lose. Why not double down and try to win the jackpot like Mandarins? Good design is good design regardless of the name attached to it.

Because folks who've been around too long are still running things and are afraid of taking any risk at all.

Real shame. Ive seen talented people get wasted for years and end up somewhere else and having a ton of success.

11 hours ago, Cuban said:

Because folks who've been around too long are still running things and are afraid of taking any risk at all.

Real shame. Ive seen talented people get wasted for years and end up somewhere else and having a ton of success.

Yup

And :cough cough: relationships with the judges

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Yup

And :cough cough: relationships with the judges

Get outta town! DCI's judging community wouldn't allow personal friendships and relationships to color their opinions on the work being presented - would they? I mean, the standards of probity have historically been so high. :tongue:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Get outta town! DCI's judging community wouldn't allow personal friendships and relationships to color their opinions on the work being presented - would they? I mean, the standards of probity have historically been so high. :tongue:

well...

I was also referring to reputation within the judging community - these "known quantity" folks -- the "name staff/designers" go into the situation with some judges expecting greatness or being aligned with design aesthetic etc...

• Like 1

Per his FB page, Joe Hobbs resigns as The Cavalier's Percussion Caption Manager.

"As of today, I have officially resigned as the Percussion Caption Manager at The Cavaliers. This is an incredibly difficult decision to make, but I feel this is the right decision for me and my family. I have been struggling with finding balance with my family, Vandegrift, and the stresses that come with running the percussion program at The Cavaliers. This is an organization that will always hold a special place in my heart and it’s been one of the joys of my life to have led this caption the past 4 years. I’m proud to say that over the past 4 years, the retention rate has been the achievement I’ve been most proud of. Only 1 eligible member has not returned over the past 4 years. I’m proud to say that we were able to create an environment within the Cavaliers Percussion section that attracted incredible young men, as well as kept members coming back year after year. Scores are scores, but this to me was my crowning achievement."

His post continues to mention that he will be spending more time with his family. 

16 minutes ago, palmettomello said:

Per his FB page, Joe Hobbs resigns as The Cavalier's Percussion Caption Manager.

"As of today, I have officially resigned as the Percussion Caption Manager at The Cavaliers. This is an incredibly difficult decision to make, but I feel this is the right decision for me and my family. I have been struggling with finding balance with my family, Vandegrift, and the stresses that come with running the percussion program at The Cavaliers. This is an organization that will always hold a special place in my heart and it’s been one of the joys of my life to have led this caption the past 4 years. I’m proud to say that over the past 4 years, the retention rate has been the achievement I’ve been most proud of. Only 1 eligible member has not returned over the past 4 years. I’m proud to say that we were able to create an environment within the Cavaliers Percussion section that attracted incredible young men, as well as kept members coming back year after year. Scores are scores, but this to me was my crowning achievement."

His post continues to mention that he will be spending more time with his family. 

In the conversation from Sunday after Finals which I cite on the Cavies' thread, mms gave him only the highest praise. His comments seem quite genuine. All the best to him.

On 8/20/2018 at 9:46 PM, ThePlanets said:

This thread is exhausting. Any chance an OP can be updated with changes as they happen like the show announcements? Or someone can update a spreadsheet? :innocent: this way everyone can BS as they please but all the announced changes are in one place?

I think this is what you have in mind, but it needs someone not as luddite as I to make it happen.

WORLD CLASS:

The Academy:

Blue Devils: 

Blue Knights: Neil Adkison resigned; guard caption head also resigned.

Blue Stars: Eric Schriver, battery caption head and arranger resigned.

Bluecoats: Dave Glasgow resigned as Director.

Boston Crusaders:

The Cadets: 

Carolina Crown: 

The Cavaliers: Joe Hobbs resigned.

Colts: Howard Weinstein resigned.

Crossmen: 

Genesis:

Jersey Surf: 

Madison Scouts: Scott Boerma resigned; Sean Phelan resigned;

Mandarins: 

Music City: 

Oregon Crusaders: Brad Kerr Green resigned

Pacific Crest: 

Phantom Regiment: Andrew Solomonson resigned

Pioneer: Suspended until further notice per D.A.

Seattle Cascades:

Spirit of Atlanta: 

Troopers:  Robert Smith resigned.

Edited by xandandl
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, DRUMALUM said:

Ralph has already left the visual design position after Finals. On the music side, I have always wanted Phantom Regiment to play Liturgical Dances.

This was posted in another thread. And indeed Ralph Stewart's FB suggests he's no longer with Regiment. 

And in case you're scoring at home (or even if you're alone), that's six different drill designers in six seasons.

2014: Jamey Thompson
2015: Jeremy Hunt
2016: Dwight Emmert
2017: Mark Moreno
2018: Ralph Stewart
2019: Michael Gaines (obviously)

Edited by kdaddy