Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

1 minute ago, DCI Nerd Alert said:

And Music City and Oregon Crusaders.

I hope that is true for Oregon Crusaders, considering how shaky things seem to be for the corps. While I do see Music City moving up next year, giving some of the higher placing corps a run for their money, I’m thinking you would have to see them place a bit higher before attracting members from the West Coast.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

complete agree - it's the sad reality that we see sometimes in sports too - "winning trumps integrity"

I also think in Cadets class the recent empowerment of women via the "#metoo" movement helped folks band together and step up - which is fantastic and necessary for things to improve for the victim/survivor and future mm 

It looks like the worse may be behind the cadets...they seemed to have weathered the storm...their future looks brighter than a few months ago...here's hoping their path continues to be an upward trajectory for 2019 and beyond...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Liahona said:

It looks like the worse may be behind the cadets...they seemed to have weathered the storm...their future looks brighter than a few months ago...here's hoping their path continues to be an upward trajectory for 2019 and beyond...

I believe the timetable for the Cadets to officially come off DCI probation is this month too. DCI announcement is expected soon. DCI is made stronger when there is a strong Cadets Drum Corps, imo. I think they are well on their way now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCI Nerd Alert said:

Placement from semis 2018. SCVC and BDB beat them.

Ah -- OK.  I was think from more of a recruiting aspect. Thx!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flammaster said:

BDB also. I knew they were going to drive it into the ground but one season is an all time record.

RIP

Or maybe both corps decided to go back to their original mission: to be feeder corps. Feeders shouldn’t have a ton of age outs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe, maybe not.

Interestingly neither SCV or BD restricts membership in their elite units to Californians or those who have come up through their ranks. Probably there are other issues at play.

To be honest. Jeff, there are some of us, and this is not bound to just my generation, yours, or the mms: no matter how great the instruction, show design, or practice hours and methods, we'll still have two left feet, triple teeth, weight, and an ungainly fluid motion of body.  I think in the past decade with designers wanting only Twiggy to fill the guard spots and musician roles, we've forgotten that various kids benefit from various levels of drum corps in different ways or corps. Could anyone take away the pride and entertainment witnessed by The Free Players? Or the camaraderie of the only child enjoying having 153 siblings for part of the year?  Or have you bought into the BD A philosophy that the only reason for drum corps is a piece of metal?

• Thanks 1