Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

Am I the only one who thinks that the decision for BDB and SCVC staying local is very much tied, not only to finances, but to the ages of most of the kids in those groups?  With increased scrutiny over how the participants are treated, and the real life experiences they will face on the road that they may not yet be mature enough to deal with, perhaps TPTB just think it is better for the participants to be closer to home?  Many kids at that age haven't been away from home much, and extended road trips could likely raise issues of home sickness and anxiety that older kids could manage better.  In other words, maybe they have found that it is all just a big "too big"  for them at this point?

24 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Am I the only one who thinks that the decision for BDB and SCVC staying local is very much tied, not only to finances, but to the ages of most of the kids in those groups?  With increased scrutiny over how the participants are treated, and the real life experiences they will face on the road that they may not yet be mature enough to deal with, perhaps TPTB just think it is better for the participants to be closer to home?  Many kids at that age haven't been away from home much, and extended road trips could likely raise issues of home sickness and anxiety that older kids could manage better.  In other words, maybe they have found that it is all just a big "too big"  for them at this point?

I don't know the answer, but how old do you think these kids are?  I would be willing to bet they are a bit older than you are assuming.  But that being said what is the average age of BDB and SCVC mm's? 

I think the pull back on touring is the cost in dollars (what guides most decisions these days...or should for some orgs.) and the cost in time and commitment of support staff and volunteers.  And what would the next step be?  To move up further, the added cost and time would be enormous.  Can either BD or SCV manage that budget?

39 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Maybe they are seeing the success with the local weekend format non touring Cadets2 approach? Extremely cost effective. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Maybe they are seeing the success with the local weekend format non touring Cadets2 approach? Extremely cost effective. 

This could be

BUT , there is another thread on this and I wrote this there,

There will be many speculations ( for now ) from finance, to travel, ect ect. BUT There is a possibility that These corps are planning something maybe bigger and better or at least fit into a bigger picture and will offer different possibilities beyond DCI and traveling as an OC corps. BD especially has many irons in the fire and with either corps, I  think they will continue the education at the level they do  offering their members something as attractive. Of course, there can be very legit reasons for corps to decide to do this, especially with multiple groups but I would not be surprised that there could be bigger plans for them JMO

Edited by GUARDLING

It could be a sign of a major finance issue for all corps. I learned today that some major charter bus companies have severely increased their rates. Where a quote that would have had each bus at about 1000.00 each for a trip are now coming in at 2000 to 2500.00 a bus. This is companies like Echo who I know charter out with corps. It’s already becoming an issue for HS bands that I work with. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, flammaster said:

Maybe BDB got disqualified from touring because of that sucky music they played.... Ohhhhhhh shots fired.   😄

no, let's be 100% honest. You stopped kissing their ### on here, so they did it solely to #### you off

• Haha 4

So many people were talking about we would know about staff changes this week. It's Thursday and people are still talking about BS that has nothing to do with staff changes. Wtf???

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, xandandl said:

Is Reddit now replacing DCP as the conscience of DCI?

As you can see by the post right below yours, much more open minds on Reddit so yes

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DWW11 said:

I sit fairly close to the field in Indy, and I take lots of photos. I’m currently getting ready to post some on FB.  My observations based on the photos, corps at the young end: Colt Cadets, 7th Regiment, Shadow, River City Rhythm, 

Older end: Louisiana Stars, Gold, BDB, SCVC, Heatwave, Golden Empire 

Equal older and younger: Spartans, Guardians, Raiders, Southwind. Legends

of course I did not see proof of age, some kids look older than they are, others younger, and it’s all speculation, but the three California corps looked as if they had the more older members.

I can recall in 2012 at the parade, I watched with parents from Colt Cadets. I’m not sure if this is still the case, though I would doubt something like this would change, but they had great ways of dealing with all the issues involved with younger members including homesickness, maturity issues, lack of confidence, etc. Given the camaraderie I’ve observed with the OC corps I’m familiar with, my guess is best practices are shared. 

• Like 1