Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

As you can see by the post right below yours, much more open minds on Reddit so yes

For me, the jury is still out whether it’s open mindedness or stronger and more contemporary opinions and no fear of shooting off the mouth. I think Reddit’s value is it has more marching members who participate, but contemporary opinions can be just as closed minded as the staunchest drum corps has gone to hell in a hand basket folks. I also find at times it is too whiny and too self centered, yet you’re less likely to read “I heard” or “my sources say” and more likely to hear from those directly involved.  This could be why I read Reddit post on occasion, unless something major is happening. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

no drill writer mentioned for Colts.

good to see Sean Phelan joining Brad Kerr Green; will Sean miss the Wisconsin winters and cheddar there outside of Austin and L.A?  All the best, guys.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

As you can see by the post right below yours, much more open minds on Reddit so yes

There is a difference between open minded and naive and needy with a victim mindset 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

For me, the jury is still out whether it’s open mindedness or stronger and more contemporary opinions and no fear of shooting off the mouth. I think Reddit’s value is it has more marching members who participate, but contemporary opinions can be just as closed minded as the staunchest drum corps has gone to hell in a hand basket folks. I also find at times it is too whiny and too self centered, yet you’re less likely to read “I heard” or “my sources say” and more likely to hear from those directly involved.  This could be why I read Reddit post on occasion, unless something major is happening. 

It’s slightly better than RAMD due to more memes 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

It's not even remotely more open minded.  It's mostly the Wild West with very little depth of discussion.  The main reason it is more popular  with newer participants is people are already more familiar with it from other topics. 

I'm glad, though, that people who want to share experiences, shine a light or blow whistles already know of a place they can do so and are familiar with using.  But what follows such posts leaves a lot to be desired in terms of understanding the problems and finding ways to solve them, and most of them flame out in a few days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

no drill writer mentioned for Colts.

good to see Sean Phelan joining Brad Kerr Green; will Sean miss the Wisconsin winters and cheddar there outside of Austin and L.A?  All the best, guys.

The Colts post states that they're announcing caption heads and program coordinator, so I'm sure there will be an announcement later with more designers in it. I think Richard Hinshaw was their drill designer last year? Hopefully they'll be able to keep him around. Glad to see they were able to keep most of their caption heads in place... the group looked and sounded great this summer. I imagine most of the teaching staff will stay the same with caption heads returning. 

Interested to see what comes out of Pac Crest this year... they've got a good team assembled. Lots of experience with some top notch indoor groups. That'll bring a lot of ideas for them and hopefully a step up. 

• Like 3