Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

lack of unused venues, lack of bodies to use for judging as all 3 circuits around here are strapped.....I think one circuit should be worried, as if anyone knows about them, it's Justin

add to this the smaller and growing smaller Ct circuit has seemed to move as a group to USBands judging from whose is signed up for what show. NESBA is drawing more units but that is quite a few tolls from Philly to Portland, Me. On the whole the adolescent demographics for the Northeast is shrinking with the exception of Hispanic communities and new immigrants.

16 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

I would be - his connection as USBands Director in the past and being a teacher in the area could very much convince them to jump ships... 

But bigger question is will he jump ships if the fall doesnt work out to USBands... hmm... 

There is of course his own history with GH, whether that might be considered by the Board as too proximate for the current climate. Questions remain with older alums about his move to BAC and to BD. I'm not questioning either BAC or BD for hiring experience and contacts. Wherever he was, he maintained a leadership role in the TOC series with G-8 and DCI.  Many talents, many questions. Post is not a putdown just a statement of some rumblings I have heard along the journey. His move back East certainly befits someone wishing to start a family with family connections. Good luck in all he and his wife endeavor.

Edited by xandandl

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

There is of course his own history with GH, whether that might be considered by the Board as too proximate for the current climate. Questions remain with older alums about his move to BAC and to BD. I'm not questioning either BAC or BD for hiring experience and contacts. Wherever he was, he maintained a leadership role in the TOC series with G-8 and DCI.  Many talents, many questions. Post is not a putdown just a statement of some rumblings I have heard along the journey. His move back East certainly befits someone wishing to start a family with family connections. Good luck in all he and his wife endeavor.

Yes, I would dismiss any " rumblings " heard in any quarters whenever a marcher or staffer goes to another Drum Corps. Its the culture of Drum Corps for marchers to come and go between Corps all the time. Cadets have typically benefitted from such migration over the decades too, as you know. So if some people are uncomfortable with Justin's movements over the years between Corps, then they have not understood that these migrations between Corps are common practice in Drum Corps with most Corps/ marchers/ staffers.... and have been for 50 years or more.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Yes, I would dismiss any " rumblings " heard in any quarters whenever a marcher or staffer goes to another Drum Corps. Its the culture of Drum Corps for marchers to come and go between Corps all the time. Cadets have typically benefitted from such migration over the decades too, as you know. So if some people are uncomfortable with Justin's movements over the years between Corps, then they have not understood that these migrations between Corps are common practice in Drum Corps with most Corps/ marchers/ staffers.... and have been for 50 years or more.

Yup. Besides - let's not get into a "guilt by association" mode. If he (or anyone) "checks out" then they deserve that assumption. GH was with the organization for decades - precluding anyone from that era would be quite unwise.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 4

On 9/14/2018 at 1:10 PM, DAvery said:

I'm just saying this seems to be a look backward, but if that is what they feel is right I'm OK with that.  

I would not assess that Madison Scouts bringing back a guy thats been out of Drum Corps  as any more " looking backward " though  than when SCV brought back Michael Gaines ( also out of Drum Corps quite awhile at the time) and that this move was SCV " looking backward " either. And if it was " looking backward ", how would you assess  this " looking backward " hire worked out for SCV  ?  

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

hmmm I wonder if there's a potential expansion into an already saturated band circuit area

That would be tough to do, with USBands, TOB and Cavalcade in the area. I'm not really seeing any sort of void for WBA to fill these days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

That would be tough to do, with USBands, TOB and Cavalcade in the area. I'm not really seeing any sort of void for WBA to fill these days. 

This. And does anyone really think that the "long term" plan is to have an individual based in PA run a band circuit based on the West Coast? Perhaps he remained in charge of it (for now) because we are in the MIDDLE of fall band season? Also does anyone think he left is position at BD just to sit around in PA? I'm not so sure this passes the basic sniff test on either end of the equation. Stay tuned IMO

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I would not assess that Madison Scouts bringing back a guy thats been out of Drum Corps  as any more " looking backward " though  than when SCV brought back Michael Gaines ( also out of Drum Corps quite awhile at the time) and that this move was SCV " looking backward " either. And if it was " looking backward ", how would you assess  this " looking backward " hire worked out for SCV  ?  

I agree the Scouts folks deserve our best wishes and our open-minds. I'm hoping for the very best - that they will bring back that famous Scouts performance energy and power. The big WOW - that is missed. Crowds used to throw babies just for the Scouts entering the field with their perfect toes and magical presence. We need that back.

That said - Gaines had left DCI but not the activity. He had actually spent the gap designing WGI (and many other) championship programs around the world. His respect (and experience) in the marching arts design community literally GREW during the interim. You see his evolution in the design of the 2018 SCV program - the staging, the transitions, the entire process of crafting that design is far beyond (IMO) his work back with the Cavaliers. On another level - literally and figuratively! 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2