Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I agree the Scouts folks deserve our best wishes and our open-minds. I'm hoping for the very best - that they will bring back that famous Scouts performance energy and power. The big WOW - that is missed. Crowds used to throw babies just for the Scouts entering the field with their perfect toes and magical presence. We need that back.

That said - Gaines had left DCI but not the activity. He had actually spent the gap designing WGI (and many other) championship programs around the world. His respect (and experience) in the marching arts design community literally GREW during the interim. You see his evolution in the design of the 2018 SCV program - the staging, the transitions, the entire process of crafting that design is far beyond (IMO) his work back with the Cavaliers. On another level - literally and figuratively! 

Its true.. regarding Gaines. When he came back to SCV he " evolved " from the Cavs 2000 years, and was not about to write/ recommend any more those types of Visual shows for the SCV.. Likewise, I believe ALL of the guys still in the activity from back in the 70's " evolved " in their designs too... even in Brass/ Percussion. Scott Johnson isn't writing Percussive parts like the ones in the 80's either. And he's never left BD in decades. DCI has a couple of judges that judged DCI shows in the 70's. 80's too. They're not judging the same way they did back then either.

The Madison Scouts can be good again, and entertaining again in the coming years. SCV 2018 show this season was chock full of little flashes of SCV iconic moments.. and they won it all here in 2018. BD in 2017, lest we forget, did a quasi throw back, historical tribute show in 2017.. with LOTS of earmarks of past BD iconic moments found throughout their show of BD's past... and they TOO won it all. So this notion we sometimes hear around the office water coolers, and school band rooms, that Drum Corps have to be thoroughly and completely avard gard and " modern " to place well, and thrill fans, is certainly not supported by the last 2 recent DCI Champions shows themselves, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Its true.. regarding Gaines. When he came back to SCV he " evolved " from the Cavs 2000 years, and was not about to write/ recommend any more those types of Visual shows for the SCV.. Likewise, I believe ALL of the guys still in the activity from back in the 70's " evolved " in their designs too... even in Brass/ Percussion. Scott Johnson isn't writing Percussive parts like the ones in the 80's either. And he's never left BD in decades. DCI has a couple of judges that judged DCI shows in the 70's. 80's too. They're not judging the same way they did back then either.

The Madison Scouts can be good again, and entertaining again in the coming years. SCV 2018 show this season was chock full of little flashes of SCV iconic moments.. and they won it all here in 2018. BD in 2018, lest we forget, did a tribute show in 2018.. with LOTS of earmarks of past BD shows found throughout their show of BD's past... and they TOO won it all. So this notion we sometimes hear around the office water coolers, and school band rooms, that Drum Corps have to be thoroughly and completely avard gard and " modern " to place well, is certainly not supported by the last 2 recent DCI Champions shows themselves, imo

Yup. And Gaines was designing scores of top BOA & WGI shows. Like literally the top individual marching arts designer in the world.

And I totally agree with your overall take - Scouts CAN BE "THE SCOUTS" and do extremely well. Nothing in the "Modern" world precludes in your face & audience friendly

High energy and visual excellence will sell/score just as well as ever

Layer in effective, smart design and a modern approach to staging/transition and "THE SCOUTS" can leap right back into finals and beyond. IMHO

• Like 3

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

And I totally agree with your overall take - Scouts CAN BE "THE SCOUTS" and do extremely well. Nothing in the "Modern" world precludes in your face & audience friendly

High energy and visual excellence will sell/score just as well as ever

As recently as 2015! Aside from the lady mannequins, it was a toe tapper that finished in a solid 8th (though placement is also a function of corps around them). Add a little more aggression to the concept, and you've got a competitive old school Madison show. 

• Like 1

I found it interesting in the pictures that I saw with the recent meeting for the Scouts with Jim Elvord that Scott Stewart was in the picture at the gathering. I’m so glad to see Scott back around!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

I found it interesting in the pictures that I saw with the recent meeting for the Scouts with Jim Elvord that Scott Stewart was in the picture at the gathering. I’m so glad to see Scott back around!

Oh gosh. Really?

Well we’ll see to what extent will be involved, if only just for support.

4 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

That...is certainly something. Sounded like Scott was done with DCI for good.

It's a little surprising to me that Boerma would leave the corps (whether on his own or otherwise) if they were going to be bringing back all these old schoolers. He would certainly seem to fit into the "old school but able to adapt" category.