Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

15 minutes ago, year1buick said:

It was actually a pretty lengthy open letter to the alumni. Not really visual specific (though this was certainly mentioned). He covered a lot of stuff, including how proud they were of the corps but also recognized that they needed to step up design and start with a great design/visual concept first, paired with really great music. He also stressed that the corps shouldn’t just limit itself to “classical” but, instead, think of their choices in terms of “great music,” framed within Regiment hallmarks of power, emotion, etc. And, of course, he also mentioned about bringing in a designer from outside of drum corps (who actually came to watch Semis) but also stressed that just adding a name or two doesn’t automatically translate into success. There was a lot more to it but it really gave the impression that he and the rest of the design staff recognized that the onus was on them to step up their game and that they were going to do everything they could to do so. (There was also a call to arms for alumni to join in and help out the corps in whatever ways they can as well.) Only time will tell but, as always, I’m hopeful.

noticed that a new poster called "willpitts" has been lurking through the DCP threads the recent evenings. Willcome.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some news from the BK folks.   Very interesting... 😉

https://ascendperformingarts.org/blue-knights-announce-design-team-caption-heads-for-2019-season/

Edited by wormster79

20 hours ago, swmstom said:

Hopefully back to flat position snares. Was never a fan of the tilted deal.

swmstom, would you please explain what flat v tilted snare positions means and what differences either position would make. Thank you

Actually, if you are old enough, you had to make an adjustment going to a flat drum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2018 at 8:15 PM, pbeau said:

It appears the whole Brass Staff section has been removed from BK's site. Don Taylor was high brass instructor. Chad Pence was brass caption head. I thought brass was BK high point this year. 

On 8/13/2018 at 8:41 PM, George Dixon said:

I wonder where they could all be going? :innocent:

On 8/13/2018 at 8:42 PM, Ghost said:

Eastward.

Well this convo isn't on target fully as BK just re-appointed Cadets' alum Chad Pence as brass caption head for '18 as he was for '17. 

In fact, his westward move to the Rocky Mt. state for the summer may be more involved, not less or east, as he handed over the band directorship he's had for four years at Ashley Ridge, SC to another BK horn tech, former Cadets' major Ben Pouncey, for the last several years assistant band director at cross-town Summerville H.S.  Ashley is the name of the river going through those southern Charleston, S.C. suburbs and in the news of late with the overflow Florence floods. Maybe Chad had an inkling and sought higher ground in Colorado early? All the best to all.

Edited by xandandl

On 9/18/2018 at 12:03 AM, tesmusic said:

Interesting to see Jack Pursifull as PR's new drill designer. Didn't really dig much of what he did for Madison.

Drill was about the least of their problems the last 2 years IMO.

10 hours ago, 1956OPR said:

swmstom, would you please explain what flat v tilted snare positions means and what differences either position would make. Thank you

Not to sidetrack the discussion but a tilted snare is actually a more traditional way of playing a snare drum with traditional grip. Logically, a flat snare drum should be played with matched grip because the hand is not meant to turn that way naturally.

The tilted snare on a carrier goes back to traditional sling days where the drum was positioned at an angle off your leg and traditional grip was invented as a way to hold the stick and play the drum in a more natural position. Making the drum flat no longer makes the left hand traditional grip feel natural and yet drum lines have continued to do it for almost 40 years.

• Like 2

Any idea if there are other changes in Madison drum staff? Anyone hearing anything on Cavaliers?

15 hours ago, year1buick said:

It was actually a pretty lengthy open letter to the alumni. Not really visual specific (though this was certainly mentioned). He covered a lot of stuff, including how proud they were of the corps but also recognized that they needed to step up design and start with a great design/visual concept first, paired with really great music. He also stressed that the corps shouldn’t just limit itself to “classical” but, instead, think of their choices in terms of “great music,” framed within Regiment hallmarks of power, emotion, etc. And, of course, he also mentioned about bringing in a designer from outside of drum corps (who actually came to watch Semis) but also stressed that just adding a name or two doesn’t automatically translate into success. There was a lot more to it but it really gave the impression that he and the rest of the design staff recognized that the onus was on them to step up their game and that they were going to do everything they could to do so. (There was also a call to arms for alumni to join in and help out the corps in whatever ways they can as well.) Only time will tell but, as always, I’m hopeful.

My concern is “great music.” Since 2008 and “Spartacus,” the only show that was entirely classical was “Turandot,” which was the last time they placed in the top three. Venturing into film music has been nice, I’m not sure I would call it great. There are many “deep cuts” in the classical repertoire that have never been performed by a drum corps. I think focusing on design is critical but in doing so,  use the guard more effectively. I had great hopes for the coed guard last summer, but it seemed like a lot of talent was wasted.

• Like 1