Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

1 minute ago, FlamMan said:

Holy crap! Colts and Crossmen!

Yes, colts when they went from a corps you'd skip to finalist. Crossmen during their best years not named 1990-1998. Yeah, he's a slouch I guess. I mean he got the gig and no one knocked on your door.

Plus, if a name is happy where they are, and I don't see a lot of high profile names that would fit your criteria looking for gigs, who are you going to call? 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yes, colts when they went from a corps you'd skip to finalist. Crossmen during their best years not named 1990-1998. Yeah, he's a slouch I guess. I mean he got the gig and no one knocked on your door.

Plus, if a name is happy where they are, and I don't see a lot of high profile names that would fit your criteria looking for gigs, who are you going to call? 

This was hotter than the fires of Mustafar.

10 hours ago, FlamMan said:

The Madison Scouts hired a middle school band director as brass caption head??? Wow...

Ridiculous post award! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Cuban said:

This was hotter than the fires of Mustafar.

you underestimate the power of the dark side

13 hours ago, FlamMan said:

The Madison Scouts hired a middle school band director as brass caption head??? Wow...

If your Wow... is a WOW!!! I agree with you, if not, I have to stand up for Middle School Teachers.....

I taught middle school for six years. If it had not been for a career change that still involves education to some degree, I would probably still be teaching middle school and loving it. As it is I still have a considerable amount of associations with young people and schools, though my involvement is more administrative. As a matter of fact right now I am taking a bit of a breather. The school I am involved with offers photography lessons after school to gasp, middle school aged children, and I am preparing the lesson and activity. Middle school children are often inquisitive learners, highly motivated if an interest is generated, and respectful if you respect them. If you treat them in a condescending manner, they will react. If you do not set up boundaries, they'll take control.

So what could a middle school band director offer Madison?

1.One of the biggest drop off rates between musicians transitioning from one grade to another is between 8th and 9th. High school offers more sports and extra curricular activities. An enthusiastic band director can be key to a successful high school program and more importantly, a key to making music a part of a child's life.

2. Though this could vary from state top state due to certifications, school systems do not audition teachers and give the high school programs to the most talented and the least talented the kindergarten programs where small xylophones, triangles, and toy drums are the norm. You teach based on your certification. I know a woman whose day job is teaching elementary school music, and she's great at it. She also has a CAGS and plans on a doctorate in choral music and has directed choirs and college groups. She teaches simply because she loves the joy of teaching young ones music. 

3. Middle schools are more likely to work collaboratively and than high schools which are often run more departmentally. 

If Madison feels it needs enthusiasm, talent, and a collaborative staff, a middle school band director may be a great choice.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tim K said:

If your Wow... is a WOW!!! I agree with you, if not, I have to stand up for Middle School Teachers.....

I taught middle school for six years. If it had not been for a career change that still involves education to some degree, I would probably still be teaching middle school and loving it. As it is I still have a considerable amount of associations with young people and schools, though my involvement is more administrative. As a matter of fact right now I am taking a bit of a breather. The school I am involved with offers photography lessons after school to gasp, middle school aged children, and I am preparing the lesson and activity. Middle school children are often inquisitive learners, highly motivated if an interest is generated, and respectful if you respect them. If you treat them in a condescending manner, they will react. If you do not set up boundaries, they'll take control.

So what could a middle school band director offer Madison?

1.One of the biggest drop off rates between musicians transitioning from one grade to another is between 8th and 9th. High school offers more sports and extra curricular activities. An enthusiastic band director can be key to a successful high school program and more importantly, a key to making music a part of a child's life.

2. Though this could vary from state top state due to certifications, school systems do not audition teachers and give the high school programs to the most talented and the least talented the kindergarten programs where small xylophones, triangles, and toy drums are the norm. You teach based on your certification. I know a woman whose day job is teaching elementary school music, and she's great at it. She also has a CAGS and plans on a doctorate in choral music and has directed choirs and college groups. She teaches simply because she loves the joy of teaching young ones music. 

3. Middle schools are more likely to work collaboratively and than high schools which are often run more departmentally. 

If Madison feels it needs enthusiasm, talent, and a collaborative staff, a middle school band director may be a great choice.

the great Jim Prime retired from teaching a few years ago, He was a middle school music teacher in Elizabeth NJ most of his career.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Ridiculous post award! 

Maybe all time...

The best teachers I have EVER SEEN are Middle School teachers.

Period.

Fact.

No credible argument can be made unless you are galactically ignorant.

I guess that’s how some judge quality teachers. What grade they teach. Stupid. Dazzlingly stupid.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully Horn Teacher will read this thread and add his thoughts since he's been teaching music coming on 25 years.  Even as a brass guy, he's taught and had percussion sections succeed and win awards.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1