Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

I'm currently an administrator at a middle school.  Our teachers are a godsend.  It takes a special person to deal with young individuals who are on the cusp of knowing who they are as individuals.  Middle school age is the 2nd most productive time of brain growth and development. Middle school-age children began moving from concrete to abstract thinking and to the beginnings of metacognition.   To have an individual like Chuck on staff will benefit the Scouts greatly.  Educators make some of the best instructors in the activity.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 10/3/2018 at 10:56 PM, FlamMan said:

The Madison Scouts hired a middle school band director as brass caption head??? Wow...

My girlfriend is a high school director. She was moved into the job because she was a very good middle school director. Administrators think everyone's end goal is to have a high school job. It is not.

She wishes she could have her middle school job back because she prefers teaching the younger kids and frankly because high school kids think they already know everything and can be extremely difficult to deal with. Additionally, no high school program anywhere can truly be great without top notch middle school feeder programs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 10/3/2018 at 10:56 PM, FlamMan said:

The Madison Scouts hired a middle school band director as brass caption head??? Wow...

I was a middle school band director for over 25 years, even during the brief time I taught high school band (talk about a LONG workday, lol).  I would say that most of my hornlines turned out to be at least ok...

By the way, been waiting for the official announcement to do this:

Congrats Chuck!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BrassTeacher said:

I was a middle school band director for over 25 years, even during the brief time I taught high school band (talk about a LONG workday, lol).  I would say that most of my hornlines turned out to be at least ok...

By the way, been waiting for the official announcement to do this:

Congrats Chuck!!!

And Jim Prime was also an elementary school music teacher... it's a shame he didn't have more experience. He could have been something...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 10/4/2018 at 1:04 PM, Amil Muzz said:

Maybe all time...

The best teachers I have EVER SEEN are Middle School teachers.

Period.

Fact.

No credible argument can be made unless you are galactically ignorant.

I guess that’s how some judge quality teachers. What grade they teach. Stupid. Dazzlingly stupid.

I still have fond memories of my middle school band director, Archie McAllister Jr., lo these many years later. He nurtured many students over the years.  And he loved drum corps! 

• Like 2

I grew up in a small town. There was only a director and an assistant. What attracted most kids to the program was the success, if not the sound, of our high school band.  I remember hearing them practice across town (yup sound travels far in rural Colorado- far is a relative word here tho) when I was old enough to ask what it was, and then when I got older my mom would let me ride my bike across town to watch.   Both directors taught 5th and 6th graders. The assistant taught Jr High both taught marching band tho).  They both taught HS.....The assistant was also the colorguard instructor.  We had on average 350-380 students in HS. We had anywhere from, 150-200 kids in our HS band.   I loved both of them.  Expected a lot, but gave 110% in return.  I could not attend, but both had over 500 people at their funerals when they passed away.  I guess my point is that a good band director could probably have a chance at success pretty much regardless of where they go.

• Like 1

Are the new Crown staff additions that meh to have generated virtually no discussion? Or have they just mastered the art of sneaking in an announcement when no one is looking? Because I would love to read some opinions from people more knowledgeable than I.

1 hour ago, crownisking said:

Are the new Crown staff additions that meh to have generated virtually no discussion? Or have they just mastered the art of sneaking in an announcement when no one is looking? Because I would love to read some opinions from people more knowledgeable than I.

I can say nothing but great things about several of those visual techs...Crown is in great hands...I wish them and Crown the very best this coming season and beyond...

• Like 5