Crown Phan

Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

A top corps will be looking for a new designer for stuff that plugs in.

yup!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

A top corps will be looking for a new designer for stuff that plugs in.

It will be interesting to see if this is a pickup from another corps, or someone completely unexpected. I’d guess it would be someone coming out of a strong WGI percussion sound design background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Until someone personally involved is willing to go on the record, no one will publish ####. It’s all rumor and innuendo otherwise. Sure everyone “knows it”, but no one involved will say anything. Great way for a paper to be sued out of business to appease some blood thirsty DCp posters 

I promise you that I understand this.

But DCI can't act like all the bad apples are gone and it is a new way forward... because it isn't, yet. Bad apples are still there and operating freely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

I promise you that I understand this.

But DCI can't act like all the bad apples are gone and it is a new way forward... because it isn't, yet. Bad apples are still there and operating freely.

WTH is this about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, xandandl said:

check USA today/Philadelphia Inquirerer tomorrow based on what Cavies mms and families were told at banquet on Sunday in Indy. supposedly 2006 or so.

Nothing in the Inquirer today that I see, print OR online.  And I did a query at USAToday and got nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DWW11 said:
12 hours ago, xandandl said:

check USA today/Philadelphia Inquirerer tomorrow based on what Cavies mms and families were told at banquet on Sunday in Indy. supposedly 2006 or so.

 

This should be super interesting.... This story has been in developing mode for a while now.... 

**Insert Suspense Music HERE**

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

But DCI can't act like all the bad apples are gone and it is a new way forward... because it isn't, yet. Bad apples are still there and operating freely.

Whether or not the article eventually runs, DCI could take a simple step in insuring against the likelihood that recidivists are being hired by demanding each member corps to require each staff member and corps employee to sign an affidavit that asks if they've ever had relationships or engaged in what could be considered harassing behavior with any member at any school, corps, WGI unit, etc, they've ever worked with, whether they've ever been investigated or disciplined for inappropriate relationships, and having the employee list their superiors at each teaching gig they've had along with giving their permission to contact their superiors for verification and discussion of their previous experience.

Corps right now are constricted from actively reaching out to others who hire their former bad apples because most states' employment laws don't allow you to proactively warn other employers about a former employees' problems.  Even if a prospective employer does reach out, all the previous employer can do is verify that the employee worked there, and, if asked, say whether the employee would be eligible for rehire. If prospective staff signs away that right of confidentiality, it would allow for frank conversations to take place, and make the hiring environment unfriendly for those who've been skirting by in the shadows for years.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Whether or not the article eventually runs, DCI could take a simple step in insuring against the likelihood that recidivists are being hired by demanding each member corps to require each staff member and corps employee to sign an affidavit that asks if they've ever had relationships or engaged in what could be considered harassing behavior with any member at any school, corps, WGI unit, etc, they've ever worked with, whether they've ever been investigated or disciplined for inappropriate relationships, and having the employee list their superiors at each teaching gig they've had along with giving their permission to contact their superiors for verification and discussion of their previous experience.

Corps right now are constricted from actively reaching out to others who hire their former bad apples because most states' employment laws don't allow you to proactively warn other employers about a former employees' problems.  Even if a prospective employer does reach out, all the previous employer can do is verify that the employee worked there, and, if asked, say whether the employee would be eligible for rehire. If prospective staff signs away that right of confidentiality, it would allow for frank conversations to take place, and make the hiring environment unfriendly for those who've been skirting by in the shadows for years.

 

Like a certain world champion arranger?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Whether or not the article eventually runs, DCI could take a simple step in insuring against the likelihood that recidivists are being hired by demanding each member corps to require each staff member and corps employee to sign an affidavit that asks if they've ever had relationships or engaged in what could be considered harassing behavior with any member at any school, corps, WGI unit, etc, they've ever worked with, whether they've ever been investigated or disciplined for inappropriate relationships, and having the employee list their superiors at each teaching gig they've had along with giving their permission to contact their superiors for verification and discussion of their previous experience.

Corps right now are constricted from actively reaching out to others who hire their former bad apples because most states' employment laws don't allow you to proactively warn other employers about a former employees' problems.  Even if a prospective employer does reach out, all the previous employer can do is verify that the employee worked there, and, if asked, say whether the employee would be eligible for rehire. If prospective staff signs away that right of confidentiality, it would allow for frank conversations to take place, and make the hiring environment unfriendly for those who've been skirting by in the shadows for years.

 

Just ask every potential hire in every drum corps to sign away their civil rights, even if they've done absolutely nothing wrong. hmm.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jpaul said:

Just ask every potential hire in every drum corps to sign away their civil rights, even if they've done absolutely nothing wrong. hmm.

They work with kids, many of them underage.

So yes, screw their “civil rights.”

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.