Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

18 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I will give him a chance to prove he's the right guy, but as I said on Twitter, I am not overly encouraged that he can take the corps forward.  This was nothing more than the corps caving to the dinosaurs of the activity. The corps alumni will ultimately lead to the demise of Madison. The staff took a chance based on feedback from the judges and they unfortunately paid the price.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, GeneralFFect said:

I will give him a chance to prove he's the right guy, but as I said on Twitter, I am not overly encouraged that he can take the corps forward.  This was nothing more than the corps caving to the dinosaurs of the activity. The corps alumni will ultimately lead to the demise of Madison. The staff took a chance based on feedback from the judges and they unfortunately paid the price.

I'm in wait and see mode at this point. I'll be honest, Madison hasn't done much to keep my attention lately. I have a feeling there are many that feel that way as well. I hope that changes. It's been said here before, and I tend to agree, that Blueoats are today what Madison should have eventually evolved into.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GeneralFFect said:

Alums will lead to the demise of Madison? The way alums led to the demise of Cadets in 2018 or the way alums of BAC ruined the corps? Before Madison moves forward, it has to come together. If James Elvord will be part of a team and can help make that happen, it will be huge.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GeneralFFect said:

Madison alums seem to overreach more than other corps alums do. Let's call it the "green bay Packers effect." Everyone owns the team! Yay!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crownisking said:

interesting. However, I think this is going to cause alumni to have some unrealistic expectations. If you think he's going to just return to power pizzazz and all that jazz, I think they're in for a surprise

• Like 4

2 hours ago, crownisking said:

I read the announcement. He was program coordinator in 1975. And he's worked with a few corps since. Finance has been his day job. He might be fantastic in an advisory role, but what suggests that this guy gets modern day artistic direction? (the answer may be details about his resume that I'm not seeing)

• Like 1

Again, you have to look at the staff he puts together. He has not been out of touch with people in the activity!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I read the announcement. He was program coordinator in 1975. And he's worked with a few corps since. Finance has been his day job. He might be fantastic in an advisory role, but what suggests that this guy gets modern day artistic direction? (the answer may be details about his resume that I'm not seeing)

He's a great choice IMO. 

First, I'm hoping it will help our fractured alumni to come together.

Second, he's a smart person that will hopefully be able to bring in talent in both design and instruction. 

I'm going to remain optimistic. He's got a lot of connections at all levels of the activity, which I believe will be positive.

6 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

He's a great choice IMO. 

First, I'm hoping it will help our fractured alumni to come together.

Second, he's a smart person that will hopefully be able to bring in talent in both design and instruction. 

I'm going to remain optimistic. He's got a lot of connections at all levels of the activity, which I believe will be positive.

I'm glad that there's cause for optimism. But I was legitimately asking a question that I don't know the answer to - what has he been doing lately in this activity? In what way is he connected to the current state?

Also, connections are definitely good, but it could be argued that all drum corps people have connections (e.g., I would assume Will Pitts has a lot of friends and connections in the activity, but his involvement with the corps has coincided with a decline in placement and design competency). 

• Like 1