Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

7 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Also, connections are definitely good, but it could be argued that all drum corps people have connections (e.g., I would assume Will Pitts has a lot of friends and connections in the activity, but his involvement with the corps has coincided with a decline in placement and design competency). 

ouch.  Don't drive near Rockford or Atlanta much do you?

On 8/31/2018 at 5:05 PM, Madcityscout said:

Would OC staff be a good fit at Scouts?

On 9/1/2018 at 5:46 PM, George Dixon said:

Would Madison be a good fit in the OC? Those gated community Orange County folks can be pretty snarky 

At first, I thought the question was about some Open Class staff coming to Scouts.

Then I thought the question was about Madison moving back to Open Class.

You're right...Orange County people... but they do have a pretty good drum corps there, I hear...

:innocent:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, xandandl said:

ouch.  Don't drive near Rockford or Atlanta much do you?

Yeah, that was unduly harsh (though I don't understand your question). My point is: people in drum corps have friends and connections they could contact to potentially join staffs, but that doesn't mean that things work out. 

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Madison alums seem to overreach more than other corps alums do. Let's call it the "green bay Packers effect." Everyone owns the team! Yay!

However... the " Madison alums " had nothing at all to do with the recent placement slippage with the judges, nor the show enjoyment slippage with most Drum Corps fans, with the last 2 year's  show productions from the Madison Scouts. Changes were essential here in order to stop the slippage and attempt to reverse course.

6 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Yeah, that was unduly harsh (though I don't understand your question). My point is: people in drum corps have friends and connections they could contact to potentially join staffs, but that doesn't mean that things work out. 

ok, that's what I thought you were aiming at. Phantom and phanatics are centered in Rockford, Illlinois. Will lives and teaches in Atlanta area as does his extended family.

5 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

However... the " Madison alums " had nothing at all to do with the recent placement slippage with the judges, nor the show enjoyment slippage with most Drum Corps fans, with the last 2 year's  show productions from the Madison Scouts. Changes were essential here in order to stop the slippage and attempt to reverse course.

The were on right track for a while with James Mason...since his departure several years ago they've been on a steady decline...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Liahona said:

The were on right track for a while with James Mason...since his departure several years ago they've been on a steady decline...

Actually, the 2015 corps placed higher than the Mason years, not taking anything from what he did, but 2015 was a step up competitively.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, garfield said:

At first, I thought the question was about some Open Class staff coming to Scouts.

Then I thought the question was about Madison moving back to Open Class.

You're right...Orange County people... but they do have a pretty good drum corps there, I hear...

:innocent:

I thought they were talking about OC -  O'Callahan from the miracle on ice! 

32 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Actually, the 2015 corps placed higher than the Mason years, not taking anything from what he did, but 2015 was a step up competitively.

Yes...but the groundwork was set PRIOR to that...which allowed that to happen...but I see your point...