Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

1 hour ago, DCI Nerd Alert said:

I've never heard of either of these folks...but best wishes for the 2019 season...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I've never heard of either of these folks...but best wishes for the 2019 season...

I have definitely seen her on the track and in the lot at many shows the past few years. Her credentials at Alabama and at Crown don't surprise me as Michael Klesch arranges for both ensembles as he does for Academy.

As the marching activity follows South where the largest teen demographics are now in the nation, and perhaps the largest marching bands, I expect that we will see a lot more names coming out of Texas and the 3 coasts (East-West-and Gulf.) It's not a Rustbelt and New England activity anymore.

With the recent rise of Crown and Bloo over the decade, I anticipate that we will see more of their alums joining the Cadets', Cavies, SCV, BD, and Regiment alums we have grown to expect on faculties. BAC age-outs will be soon to follow.

Edited by xandandl

I don't usually make predictions in the off season, but here's one I will almost carve in stone as fact.

I anticipate we will hear a lot of grousing between now and December by many who weren't picked for the DCI corps staffs and faculties or who weren't personally consulted about the picks for 2019.

I also think who has the agenda and who has axes to grind and bones to pick will not always be too subtle to decipher.  

• Like 1

http://www.bluestars.org/story.php?story_id=902

The Blue Stars Drum & Bugle Corps is incredibly excited to introduce Rick Barclay as our new Battery Arranger and Caption Head.

Rick Barclay began his career in the marching arts as a member of the Rochester Patriots from 2001 to 2003. After moving to California in 2004 and marching with the Magic of Orlando in 2005, he began teaching percussion at Claremont High School. While at Claremont, Rick developed the percussion program from A class to their most successful seasons to date, winning Scholastic Concert World and placing third in marching Scholastic World at WGI World Championships in 2008.

In 2010, Rick transitioned to the role of Percussion Director at Fountain Valley High School, a position he held for five years. While there, the indoor percussion program earned a bronze medal in WGI Scholastic Open in 2011, was promoted to World Class in 2012, and was a WGI Scholastic World Finalist in 2013.

Rick was formerly on the percussion staff of The Arizona Academy Drum & Bugle Corps (2009 – 2011) and Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps (2012-2013). After some time off, Rick returned to the activity in 2016 and served as the Ensemble Coordinator for Pulse Percussion during the 2016 and 2017 seasons, earning the gold and bronze medals at WGI Championships. In the 2018 season, Rick transitioned to the role of Battery Caption Head with RCC Indoor Percussion, who earned the SCPA and WGI Percussion Independent World Championships.

Rick holds a Bachelors and Masters degree in History from CSU Fullerton and spends his days teaching 11th grade US History at Da Vinci Design Charter High School in El Segundo, California.

"Rick brings a wealth of experience and a history of success in his new role in the organization. We absolutely cannot wait for he and his team to get started this season," said Russ Gavin, Corps Director.

• Like 3

Well...I knew my good day wouldn't last TOO long....smh. Sad news out of Santa Clara...apparently it's official. The Vanguard Cadets are no longer going to be touring nationally, and will remain in California only. Their great director, Steve Barnhill, has resigned because of this decision.

I've been crowing about this for years, but drum corps need to be run by business people with business acumen and wisdom. I would assume that the costs are ABSOLUTELY ASTRONOMICAL for the Vanguard organization to field TWO major groups AND a world class winter guard.

I may not LIKE this decision and it will probably not bode well for future iterations of the corps, but, Vanguard is doing what I actually want drum corps to do--be business savvy and SUCCESSFUL. Sometimes--decisions are made for the bottom line that suck.

Great run SCVC. You are awesome!!

surprising in some ways about SCVC, others not so much.

Some nice newer faces taking over at some places. good for the activity