Sound crew should be considered members and should be under 21.

53 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Along those same lines. Now to long ago, DCI would have media copyright worked out before San Antonio and offer licensed downloads that you would purchase. Now we need to feel guilty (or at least I do) streaming current shows off YT. Waiting for DCI to get around to doing their job is frustrating holding out to almost Christmas every year. Although I look forward to getting them as a gift from my son.

Not DCI's fault.

Or at least: arguably DCI was at fault in past years because they didn't have all the permissions that were really required for video downloads. But now they're doing the right thing.

The gist seems to be that DCI used to believe there was an exception in copyright law that allowed them to offer downloads before the had audio and video rights for physical media.

But then Tresona came on the scene, holding a substantial percentage of the rights to music that corps use, and threatened to sue DCI.

If DCI had really deep pockets, maybe they could have won that suit, but they don't, so they folded.

So now we don't even have DVR function on the live streams, much less downloads during the season.

(The above is my interpretation based on the glimmers of information that was publicly available, and if someone knows better, I welcome correction.)

2 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Sure it is.  Adding four more paid staff members, feeding them, moving them around the country, not to mention the fancy equipment.  That’s an additional significant burden that any corps wanting to bev”competitive” now must take on.

And all off this is to manufacture a version of sound that the performers apparently can’t create without them.  What’s the point of all of this expense?

If it is such a burden then why are so many new corps becoming competitive? More so than before the rule changes

4 hours ago, mfrontz47 said:

This WOULD be a cool position and opportunity but sound design is so sensitive and finicky, best to leave it to professionals. Also, we don't need any more member crucification when something inevitably goes wrong. 

So no more solo's?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Don't all corps agree to the rules on electronics? I don't understand the anti-competitive complaints whenever the cost of electronics comes up 

Becomes an issue because this is a HUGE case can be made that money buys much better equipment that sounds a lot better.  Especially when we are talking about a size of a football field.  Couple that with getting people that know what they are doing, (and they aren't cheap) and yes, one can make the case money influences the bottom line/finished product.  Add the fact that it's out of the marching members hands or talents to compensate for it.  I don't know what you DO about it save putting a price cap in place..and I don't know about that either.

Edited by Mello Dude

49 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Becomes an issue because this is a HUGE case can be made that money buys much better equipment that sounds a lot better.  Especially when we are talking about a size of a football field.  Couple that with getting people that know what they are doing, (and they aren't cheap) and yes, one can make the case money influences the bottom line/finished product.  Add the fact that it's out of the marching members hands or talents to compensate for it.  I don't know what you DO about it save putting a price cap in place..and I don't know about that either.

My point is that this isn't some random rule that came out of nowhere. There was agreement among the corps about the electronics, consequences and all 

Well, the activity is supposed to be "educational".

Believe me, I can see that one needs to have the right hardware/software in the hands of knowledgeable individuals.

I'd hope that at least those knowledgeable individuals are also showing people how and why they do things so that some education is taking place. When I've talked to those folks- I've received a wealth of knowledge and have only scratched the bare surface.

Ways to cap this monetarily... from my observations as a Formula One fan... it gets nasty. Teams find a way to circumvent it... and really the product hasn't gotten much better, arguably worse from some perspectives.

I do know that smart sound engineer people find quality equipment that can cost less than the big name stuff and do the job. Also, it won't surprise me when corps are sponsored by companies like Laney and Peavey in the near future, or that System Blue comes up with its own products.

• Like 1

In a practical sense, I have no problem in using non-marching members as sound techs. You probably will not get a marching member to dedicate their season to working sideline equipment.

However, a by-product of being to able to use anyone to operate the board(s), inadvertently creates an uneven playing field for some of the top corps who can invest more heavily in the ever-increasing sight and sound technology.

What's needed with electronics are judging sheets that honestly take into account the manner in which the sound team works to enhance what is going on the field - and what the fans are getting in the seats. I understand that electronics are incorporated into the sheets, but I am not sure that today's sheets are current with the times.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

On 8/12/2018 at 12:31 PM, One n Done said:

More groups are JUST NOW beginning to get the electronic and amplification game right.  Let’s stick with the adults running that aspect.

yeah it's only been 15 years LOL

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

In a practical sense, I have no problem in using non-marching members as sound techs. You probably will not get a marching member to dedicate their season to working sideline equipment.

However, a by-product of being to able to use anyone to operate the board(s), inadvertently creates an uneven playing field for some of the top corps who can invest more heavily in the ever-increasing sight and sound technology.

What's needed with electronics are judging sheets that honestly take into account the manner in which the sound team works to enhance what is going on the field - and what the fans are getting in the seats. I understand that electronics are incorporated into the sheets, but I am not sure that today's sheets are current with the times.

I think there are some thoughtful things here. That being said, keep in mind that if garbage goes into the mike... garbage comes out the speakers. They don't hide bad playing or technique.

As for effect, there are some subtle things that they can be used for to generate some neat effect. That's where I think you're asking, how much credit should be given for something that's been totally pre-programmed and not performed/triggered by a live performer? Tough question. One would think that a show that relies too heavily on those effects would be called out for it by an aware/astute panel. From what I'm seeing the top people steer away from that and use them more to enhance and heighten what performers are performing. Kind of like MSG at the Chinese restaurant to punch up the flavor... forgive the analogy.