Sound crew should be considered members and should be under 21.

5 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Ya, I ran into an old buddy of mine at the Pasadena show, and he said he's had to learn live sound mixing purely so he can still have a job teaching high school pits, and he definitely does the mixing for those shows.

yep, appears my statement is limited to those areas / districts where the band directors expect the members to control everything that contributes to the show.

2 minutes ago, Freanz said:

yep, appears my statement is limited to those areas / districts where the band directors expect the members to control everything that contributes to the show.

Interesting you said Texas though, where a lot of drum corps people live.

I'm torn on this one. Everything I gather, a sound designer/mixer (of which I am neither) is usually not on the field, instead sitting somewhere in the stands or box to gauge/adjust sound. So based solely on that, it shouldn't be a member.

That said, it's an individual who has a specific responsibility during the 13-minute performance that impacts the final product of that particular show. No other staff member position claims that responsibility - frankly most staffs can sit/watch/enjoy/critique/yell in anger/write up punishment plans for the next day - but that's exactly the definition you'd give to a member. 

As for the grey areas - it takes skill and proficiency, not just anyone can do it, it's not someone actually performing - I feel like a lot of them could be applied to drum majors, and obviously those are considering performing members.

But I really don't know enough about sound mixing, so everything I think/say should definitely be taken with a grain of salt on this topic.