Sound crew should be considered members and should be under 21.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:42 PM, Corps_Efan said:

Some corps have 4 person audio engineers controlling the sound - shouldn’t they be corps members? Shouldn’t they be under 21? Especially since sound is such a big part of the show. 

Absolutely like it has to be for high school shows - sound has to be controlled by a band member.

1 hour ago, Freanz said:

Absolutely like it has to be for high school shows - sound has to be controlled by a band member.

Your statement (like many in this thread) is vague so I might be misunderstanding. "sound has to be controlled by the band member"

Do you mean the triggering of the sounds has to be done by the students? (Then for the most part, you are correct. Including DCI.)

Or the mixing of the amplification?  (This would be mostly incorrect. At least in the midwest and the national circuit that dominates the midwest.)

Edited by mingusmonk

Meh... if my kid is out there performing, I'd rather have the mixer be an adult; sets the kids (and the paying customers) up for the best possible outcome.  

However,philosophically, I don't disagree with the sentiment.  

3 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Your statement (like many in this thread) is vague so I might be misunderstanding. "sound has to be controlled by the band member"

Do you mean the triggering of the sounds has to be done by the students? (Then for the most part, you are correct. Including DCI.)

Or the mixing of the amplification?  (This would be mostly incorrect. At least in the midwest and the national circuit that dominates the midwest.)

the second - the mixing should be done by a member as it is for BOA and UIL competitions

Edited by Freanz

If we get rid of scoring I don't care.  If we are scoring then it should be a marching member.  If we allow this why not simply hire professional soloists to sit up front?  Not a lot different considering the affect all these sound systems seem to have on scoring.  (I am awaiting that one person that thinks they don't have any affect LOL)

7 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

If we get rid of scoring I don't care.  If we are scoring then it should be a marching member.  If we allow this why not simply hire professional soloists to sit up front?  Not a lot different considering the affect all these sound systems seem to have on scoring.  (I am awaiting that one person that thinks they don't have any affect LOL)  

All the designers should be members too then since show design has a huge impact on scoring

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dbc03 said:

All the designers should be members too then since show design has a huge impact on scoring

But not a "hands on" direct impact.  Big difference.

33 minutes ago, Freanz said:

the second - the mixing should be done by a member as it is for BOA and UIL competitions

I've been mixing from outside of the performance area for quite awhile. That is simply not an accurate statement regarding BOA.

http://www.musicforall.org/images/PDFs/2018/Fall/2018_BOA_Rulebook.pdf

21.04 Audio volumes may be controlled with a wireless device from any place

in the Performance Area or the Spectator Area open to the public for the event, including designated staff listening/viewing areas. Regardless of such designation, Bands of America cannot guarantee the operability of such devices, including the devices’ communication with other devices within the Performance Area. Such devices are used entirely at the risk of the user.

An Adult may operate a mixing board or wireless mixing device, ONLY for the purpose of managing volumes, balances, etc. (See also 20.05)

Note:

Allowing an adult to operate a soundboard does not grant permission for them to “contribute directly to the music or visual program.” The triggering of electronic music, sound effects, voiceovers, any/all lighting effects, and/or visual items (e.g. “remote control”), is only permissible by a student performer who is within field boundaries. It is viewed that those aspects are the same as a musical contribution to the show and therefore should only be produced by students within field boundaries.

Adults may provide direction to student operators of such equipment, so long as they remain outside of the Performance Field. Lighting devices and their triggered events (visual contribution) should similarly be produced by students.

PENALTY for adults contributing to Performance (except as permitted above) – 0.5 points per violation

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

I've been mixing from outside of the performance area for quite awhile. That is simply not an accurate statement regarding BOA.

http://www.musicforall.org/images/PDFs/2018/Fall/2018_BOA_Rulebook.pdf

Thanks for the clarification - I guess its on each Band Director to decide how much adult assistance they use - never seen it at any of the Texas events I've attended over the last 4 years - thats not to say it didn't happen! Our own director expected band members to run everything that contributed to the show.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Freanz said:

Ya, I ran into an old buddy of mine at the Pasadena show, and he said he's had to learn live sound mixing purely so he can still have a job teaching high school pits, and he definitely does the mixing for those shows.