The Cavaliers 2019

38 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Modern takes of Shows they did in the past like Four Corners/Frameworks/Spin Cycle. Shows that have a beginning/middle and end without telling a story would be good examples of what I could see them being successful with.

ThankYou, It gives me something else to consider when watching a show. Do you know if the judges consider this?

I was at the Indy airport on Sunday after finals and awaited my flight home. I was seated at a table with three open chairs and offered one to a jacketed Cavalier laden with luggage. He mistook the dark green (Jets) shirt I was wearing as a Cavies alum-wear. He sat down anyway, tour tired and all that. We chatted about people we mutually knew in the organization while he was soon joined by four other Cavie mms and new age-outs. By the end of the time, ten Cavies had passed through the table conversation and Evan from Box 7 ministries had also joined. It was a most worthwhile hour or so which I wished I had taped. After the backstory season admins at all corps have had this summer, they should relish in what I heard.

Unprompted except for the question I asked: "what did  you like best about your season?," all ten readily and immediately chimed in about how each had grown as a man from the beginning of ST to banquet, how they felt changed and challenged, how they felt obligated to keep the growth moving forward and how that obligation had to echo in their community generosity at home, at school, and in the larger community. (I am deliberately here choosing words which they used and echoed often, not scripted but pivotal from the heart.) They joked about putting up Kevin LeBoeuf for canonization for his leadership with humor, how they learned White Heat Playing techniques from the Martins, how they were pushed to maxim by the percussion staff. In the end it wasn't about placement or rings but maturity and being a gentleman. Several spoke about how the first four days of ST and afterwards challenged their spirituality or lack of, their attitudes about others, and their respect for family and authority. As an educator who has worked for churches and schools as well as drum corps, I heard the life-long lessons any teacher dreams will be the success for our students.  Well done, Cavaliers. May this be repeated in 2019. Isn't it one of the major goals of drum corps?

And as I said to the Green Team mms as we parted, thanks for their candor, their enthusiasm, but mostly their honesty and self-searching. They are better men for it. Move it forward.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

47 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I was at the Indy airport on Sunday after finals and awaited my flight home. I was seated at a table with three open chairs and offered one to a jacketed Cavalier laden with baggage. He mistook the dark green (Jets) shirt I was wearing as a Cavies alum-wear. He sat down anyway, tour tired and all that. We chatted about people we mutually knew in the organization while he was soon joined by four other Cavie mms and new age-outs. By the end of the time, ten Cavies had passed through the table conversation and Evan from Box 7 ministries had also joined. It was a most worthwhile hour or so which I wished I had taped. After the backstory season admins at all corps have had this summer, they should relish in what I heard.

Unprompted except for the question I asked: "what did  you like best about your season?," all ten readily and immediately chimed in about how each had grown as a man from the beginning of ST to banquet, how they felt changed and challenged, how they felt obligated to keep the growth moving forward and how that obligation had to echo in their community generosity at home, at school, and in the larger community. (I am deliberately here choosing words which they used and echoed often, not scripted but pivotal from the heart.) They joked about putting up Kevin LeBoeuf for canonization for his leadership with humor, how they learned White Heat Playing techniques from the Martins, how they were pushed to maxim by the percussion staff. In the end it wasn't about placement or rings but maturity and being a gentleman. Several spoke about how the first four days of ST and afterwards challenged their spirituality or lack of, their attitudes about others, and their respect for family and authority. As an educator who has worked for churches and schools as well as drum corps, I heard the life-long lessons any teacher dreams will be the success for our students.  Well done, Cavaliers. May this be repeated in 2019. Isn't it one of the major goals of drum corps?

And as I said to the Green Team mms as we parted, thanks for their candor, their enthusiasm, but mostly their honesty and self-searching. They are better men for it. Move it forward.

Gosh, I can not wait to see what they do in 2019. This was an awesome read! Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 12:58 PM, xandandl said:

I was at the Indy airport on Sunday after finals and awaited my flight home. I was seated at a table with three open chairs and offered one to a jacketed Cavalier laden with luggage. He mistook the dark green (Jets) shirt I was wearing as a Cavies alum-wear. He sat down anyway, tour tired and all that. We chatted about people we mutually knew in the organization while he was soon joined by four other Cavie mms and new age-outs. By the end of the time, ten Cavies had passed through the table conversation and Evan from Box 7 ministries had also joined. It was a most worthwhile hour or so which I wished I had taped. After the backstory season admins at all corps have had this summer, they should relish in what I heard.

I took the liberty of cutting and pasting your post (above) to our Cavaliers Alumni Facebook page.  It has been very warmly received and we are all grateful to you for having taken the time to talk with our fellow alums, especially the current marching members.  Your recounting of the conversation, and your kindness in expressing admiration for them, and for all that we try to teach during a member's stay with our corps, was extremely generous.  
Thank you very much!

• Like 4

On 8/18/2018 at 1:58 PM, xandandl said:

Awesome read. Well done, Cavies!

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Cavaliers are........

Heading to California in 2019.

I believe it’s the first time since 2009

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

Cavaliers are........

Heading to California in 2019.

I believe it’s the first time since 2009

Since 2007, the year the Championships were in Pasadena.

13 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Since 2007, the year the Championships were in Pasadena.

Wow. I remember seeing them in Denver in 2009,  so just assumed they’d done Cali as well

Lugo's Logo on this is pretty snazzy or whatever the current Cali hipster board talk is.  "Cavies 2019 Explore Gnarly" seems a natural theme for them after their macho shows of late. Now will Rosemont be offering the Crossmen guardsters a group flight discount for auditions?

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 3.05.31 PM.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, xandandl said:

Now will Rosemont be offering the Crossmen guardsters a group flight discount for auditions?

Cavies have held auditions in TX for many years.  According to the Corps site, DFW auditions are Nov 24. The opportunity is there for the taking.  Bring the guys on for an audition.

https://audition.cavaliers.org/#join

Edited by Old Corps Guy