The Cavaliers 2019

It was enough to make me ask to reset my password after not saying a word here for ten years . . . BRILLIANT . . . When I thought all hope was lost, you brought it to the table in 2018.  I am 55 fan since I was 15, old all girl drum corps alumnus . . . honestly lost all hope in humanity last season until I heard that opening, sitting smack dab on the 50 in Chester, BRILLIANT, and with all love thereafter, that SCV snap heard 'round the world . . . all I thought was  . . . the new face of d/c is here . . . AND I APPROVE, NO TARPS NO FANCY STUFF, BUT THAT DANG FLOURISH AT THE END, nearly melted in my dang seat  . . . BRILLIANT I TELL YA!  Muwaaah, love you guys, best wishes for a magnificent 2019, I shall be located front and center at Chester . . . probably sitting there stunned as last season . . . it's worth the effort !!!  As  you can see, a year later and I am still blurting BRILLIANT every time Cavaliers is mentioned!!! GO GETTEM!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, sjtomatoe31 said:

It was enough to make me ask to reset my password after not saying a word here for ten years . . . BRILLIANT . . . When I thought all hope was lost, you brought it to the table in 2018.  I am 55 fan since I was 15, old all girl drum corps alumnus . . . honestly lost all hope in humanity last season until I heard that opening, sitting smack dab on the 50 in Chester, BRILLIANT, and with all love thereafter, that SCV snap heard 'round the world . . . all I thought was  . . . the new face of d/c is here . . . AND I APPROVE, NO TARPS NO FANCY STUFF, BUT THAT DANG FLOURISH AT THE END, nearly melted in my dang seat  . . . BRILLIANT I TELL YA!  Muwaaah, love you guys, best wishes for a magnificent 2019, I shall be located front and center at Chester . . . probably sitting there stunned as last season . . . it's worth the effort !!!  As  you can see, a year later and I am still blurting BRILLIANT every time Cavaliers is mentioned!!! GO GETTEM!!! 

Best thing I have read today! GO CAVIES!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With Music City now making public their appointment of Joe Roach as Nashville's new Director, this is the second major shift at Cavaliers after Chris Lugo's departure as CEO and the quiet appointment of a new director in Rosemont. More than snow shovelling seems to be going on in the Windy City. Make sure Hook'em is sitting down when he reads this.

Edited by xandandl

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

With Music City now making public their appointment of Joe Roach as Nashville's new Director, this is the second major shift at Cavaliers after Chris Lugo's departure as CEO and the quiet appointment of a new director in Rosemont. More than snow shovelling seems to be going on in the Windy City. Make sure Hook'em is sitting down when he reads this.

Great pick-up for Music City but what is going on with Cavies?

13 hours ago, xandandl said:

You do realize that Joe Roach leaving was announced at the beginning of October? This bit of news is more then four months old (publicly) and known longer then that to those who follow the corps. You can find the article mentioning his departure (and thanking him) on Cavaliers.org.

Dont worry Hook’em you can remain standing.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

You do realize that Joe Roach leaving was announced at the beginning of October? This bit of news is more then four months old (publicly) and known longer then that to those who follow the corps. You can find the article mentioning his departure (and thanking him) on Cavaliers.org.

Do you recall the shock and questions people had when he announced he was leaving Rosemont?

I think that’s why people are surprised.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

I've been "out of commission" with health issues since then; just on a reprieve at the moment between treatment series.  Thanks for the clarification. I had seen the new name (Dr. somebody whom I don't know) on one of the post-camp blurbs and photo captions. Never saw the actual announcement and like many wonder why the changes: whether impending media article fodder about what went on during tenures or just change of life usual movements. No slight at any one intended by that comment.

If one takes a holistic activity look and not just at one corps, the 2018 and the 2019 season see a rather unusual amount of turnover in CEO, corps directors, corps managers (in other words the top management) among the usual suspects for top 15 corps placements. (Think Bloo, BD, SCV Cadets, Madison, etc. Some rumors about Crown to see a change in the near future as well.)  DCPers and other Reddit and DCIers have called for changes (yet realized) in a few other corps. It's no longer your grandfather's DCI. What it will be this season for individual corps and for the activity as a whole is quite the speculation.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I've been "out of commission" with health issues since then; just on a reprieve at the moment between treatment series.  Thanks for the clarification. I had seen the new name (Dr. somebody whom I don't know) on one of the post-camp blurbs and photo captions. Never saw the actual announcement and like many wonder why the changes: whether impending media article fodder about what went on during tenures or just change of life usual movements. No slight at any one intended by that comment.

If one takes a holistic activity look and not just at one corps, the 2018 and the 2019 season see a rather unusual amount of turnover in CEO, corps directors, corps managers (in other words the top management) among the usual suspects for top 15 corps placements. (Think Bloo, BD, SCV Cadets, Madison, etc. Some rumors about Crown to see a change in the near future as well.)  DCPers and other Reddit and DCIers have called for changes (yet realized) in a few other corps. It's no longer your grandfather's DCI. What it will be this season for individual corps and for the activity as a whole is quite the speculation.

Since my father’s father was born in 1888 and my mother’s father was born in 1892, it is definitely not my grandfather’s DCI. 

Sometimes the movement of personnel from one corps to another is lost on me. I hear a name I know who is a major player is leaving one corps and it looks like the end of the world, and the corps is fine, often because of the foundation the person put in place. Then you may hear someone who may not be well known and is not viewed as a pivotal person and discover it is a great loss for the corps. It will be interesting to see how this year plays out with movement, resignations, etc. 

When it comes to Cavaliers, I am an outsider looking in, but if you go back to 2011 to 2012, Cavies faced challenges but did begin to climb back between 2013-2015, but from what I could sense, needed a shot in the arm. This came in 2016 and 2017. 2018 did not have the growth some had hoped for, but they didn’t lose major ground either. What will be critical is whether or not new leaders will be able to pick up where previous leaders left off, correct what may need to be fixed, and take the corps to the place where they once were.

14 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Since my father’s father was born in 1888 and my mother’s father was born in 1892, it is definitely not my grandfather’s DCI. 

Sometimes the movement of personnel from one corps to another is lost on me. I hear a name I know who is a major player is leaving one corps and it looks like the end of the world, and the corps is fine, often because of the foundation the person put in place. Then you may hear someone who may not be well known and is not viewed as a pivotal person and discover it is a great loss for the corps. It will be interesting to see how this year plays out with movement, resignations, etc. 

When it comes to Cavaliers, I am an outsider looking in, but if you go back to 2011 to 2012, Cavies faced challenges but did begin to climb back between 2013-2015, but from what I could sense, needed a shot in the arm. This came in 2016 and 2017. 2018 did not have the growth some had hoped for, but they didn’t lose major ground either. What will be critical is whether or not new leaders will be able to pick up where previous leaders left off, correct what may need to be fixed, and take the corps to the place where they once were.

As a Cavalier parent, I admit every word after this one will be through the bias of "green colored" glasses. 

I was involved as a volunteer on the 2017 and 2018 tour, and think the world of both Chris and Joe. But times change, life situations change, which means Corps leadership changes. From following the Corps closely, they announced a timeline to replace Chris as the Executive Director that seems to be right on schedule. Dr. Michael Vaughn, who has served in leadership with the Cavaliers since 2009 is now in the role of Corps Director and is certainly capable and passionate for doing the job. 

What I think is more interesting is the infusion of new brass and visual leadership over the past 2 years. You are 100% correct that "placement wise" the corps didn't advance between 2017 and 2018. But from my vantage point ( again with "green colored glasses on" ), in a year of some pretty serious brass leadership transition, I thought the brass line got better. The 2018 book was clearly more difficult than the 2017 book. The brass leadership team has people on it that have been involved with the excellence required to win Jim Ott trophies. 2019 will be their second season at the brass helm. From what I've seen and heard already in 2019, I'm nothing but more excited than either of the 2 previous years. I think your observation of not "losing major ground " is spot-on. I also think that while maybe not in 2019, but certainly beyond that, you'll see the Cavaliers clawing their way back onto the medal podium. And I can't fathom them "losing ground". 

And as I type this, I realize it's over 4 months until I can see the first show. I wish I could just fast-forward. :-)