The Cavaliers 2019

1 hour ago, yellvanguard said:

I have assumed the production is a nod to Don Warren. I think they could have picked a much better, more aware, more informed, more sensitive show title. Even if Don Warren referred to himself in this way (I have no idea if he did or not). I hope the show is fantastic. 

Oh for ####’s sake. I thought I made the most innocent comment imaginable and this is what happens! I said Don Warren would be proud, that’s it! It’s a good show and the title makes sense. Please don’t read something into the title that isn’t there!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I’m doing all I can do to hold my tongue at the notion that the Cavaliers are so “tone deaf” that they would field a show with racist themes. 

I’ve been watching DCI shows for 41 years. I normally wait until I SEE the show to make comments on it or its messaging. 

I’d like to suggest that the handwringing over the show title is complete BS until someone who has actually seen the show can make a case that the Cavaliers organization is “tone deaf”. 

Making comments with no knowledge of the show is as “tone deaf” as it can possibly get. 

But that's the thing - I don't have to see the show to say "seems like that title is perhaps tone deaf." (Also, note that I used a subdued descriptor "perhaps" in my post - your response is anything but subdued)

If the Blue Devils performed a show about the late night Hollywood scene and called the show "Stars and Bars," would you need to know about the show to say "that show title is perhaps tone deaf"? I hope you'd say "that's a strange choice of words regardless of what the show is actually about." 

The post that I "completely agreed" with suggested that it was a strange title but that the organization likely means nothing by it. That they mean nothing by it doesn't mean that it isn't a strange choice of words. 

Oh my goodness. Could y'all get over yourselves about the show title? It's so assinine that I can not bear it. It's not 1950 y'all....  Making something out of nothing at all...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And I am from Detroit, the nation’s definition of “wrong side of the tracks.” We take great pride in it. Please, let it go.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

so...

driving home tonight, train crossing ahead...and ####, the gate came down and the lights were blinking....and i was on the wrong side of the tracks. Why? because if i was on the other side of the tracks, i wouldn't have been stuck there for 10 minutes.

there ya go. controversy over

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so...

driving home tonight, train crossing ahead...and ####, the gate came down and the lights were blinking....and i was on the wrong side of the tracks. Why? because if i was on the other side of the tracks, i wouldn't have been stuck there for 10 minutes.

there ya go. controversy over

I hate that when that happens.

23 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

But that's the thing - I don't have to see the show to say "seems like that title is perhaps tone deaf." (Also, note that I used a subdued descriptor "perhaps" in my post - your response is anything but subdued)

If the Blue Devils performed a show about the late night Hollywood scene and called the show "Stars and Bars," would you need to know about the show to say "that show title is perhaps tone deaf"? I hope you'd say "that's a strange choice of words regardless of what the show is actually about." 

The post that I "completely agreed" with suggested that it was a strange title but that the organization likely means nothing by it. That they mean nothing by it doesn't mean that it isn't a strange choice of words. 

I’m fine with their choice of words. I’m quite certain they were chosen deliberately, as is everything else the corps does. I’m done with this. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Oh for ####’s sake. I thought I made the most innocent comment imaginable and this is what happens! I said Don Warren would be proud, that’s it! It’s a good show and the title makes sense. Please don’t read something into the title that isn’t there!

My comment was not necessarily triggered by your post. Maybe I should have stated, "Long before reading anyone's guess as to the basis for the show design, upon hearing the show title, I assumed the production was about Don Warren."   We all have our own life experiences and perspectives. While I am completely open to and respectful of others' perceptions of what certain colloquialisms mean to them, I will continue to find this show title bothersome.