The Cavaliers 2019

11 minutes ago, Fangirl71 said:

Poor Betty Jo .. I could almost little see little stick figure shirts that say ..

Don't be like Betty Jo.

Seriously,. I love how people call their season dead before they've even had their first performance.

Go Cavies!

Where in my post did I call this season dead?

Seriously, there appears to be a lot of projection going on around here.  You are making conclusions that I made a conclusion about the show.  I clearly did not.

Why so senstitive?

And that of someone who had minimal drum corps exposure from the 60’s and 70’s? Guess the Cavaliers should just call it a season cause Betty Jo from Northern Nevada just didn’t get it.

She may have minimal drum corps experience, but extensive exposure to the opera and musical theater--cultural forms that modern drum corps often use as inspiration and source material.

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 2

Not that I do not like the Cavalier look-I have always loved it. That being said,  the “swashbuckler”  look came from a brand of tobacco.   I don’t mind the evolution because I am betting these young men are getting a lot of the same experience and growth their predecessors did.   In the end,  although I am a die hard drum corps fan,  and am grateful to have it around,  it is largely about the performers experience we should be happiest about.  Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Forevergreen
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I neither used the word "irrelevance", nor drew a conclusion about the show.  Where did you get this from?

I merely reported what I clearly defined as a lay person said to me.  I haven't made a conclusion about the show.

Since we met as mutual fans of science fiction and the TV show "Babylon Five", I think she's intelligent enough to figure out that Babylon has several possible meanings.

So, are you saying people--newbies or current fans--who loved SOS are idiots?

Or, was Propaganda a bad show for the Cavaliers because the theme was rammed down our throats?  (For the record, I loved that show, too)

Did I say people that enjoyed SOS are idiots. No. I just said the theme/ title was crammed down our throats. Do I need to provide examples? They literally spell SOS. 

You keep saying she’s inexperienced but then comment how much “knowledge” she has in the arts. While I haven’t seen the show, I have heard the music, seen the costuming, and the props. Doesn’t seem like it would be that hard to figure out.

maybe you shouldn’t come on a Cavaliers board and say how your friend wasn’t “impressed”, if you don’t expect any rebuttal. What every corps in dci, wether ranked number 1 or number 35 does is impressive. These organizations are impressive. 

Your “cultured” friend comes across as an arts snob whose opinion you should’ve kept to yourself.

3 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Your “cultured” friend comes across as an arts snob whose opinion you should’ve kept to yourself.

Calm down girlfriend. You're coming across as a bando.

You can't argue the fact that today's shows are completely homogenized. 

• Like 2

Bumming around the Cavs practice right now in Orange Cove, Cal. About 40 min SE of the show site tomorrow 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

She may have minimal drum corps experience, but extensive exposure to the opera and musical theater--cultural forms that modern drum corps often use as inspiration and source material.

To be fair (saying this as someone who worked as on-air for a classical music station for some time), a majority of regular 'muricans appear to find both classical music and opera a little stultifying - even though many or most of us here would not.

Everyone's got their own thing.  😎

Edited by Slingerland

38 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Did I say people that enjoyed SOS are idiots. No. I just said the theme/ title was crammed down our throats. Do I need to provide examples? They literally spell SOS. 

You keep saying she’s inexperienced but then comment how much “knowledge” she has in the arts. While I haven’t seen the show, I have heard the music, seen the costuming, and the props. Doesn’t seem like it would be that hard to figure out.

maybe you shouldn’t come on a Cavaliers board and say how your friend wasn’t “impressed”, if you don’t expect any rebuttal. What every corps in dci, wether ranked number 1 or number 35 does is impressive. These organizations are impressive. 

It was just a story about someone new seeing the show.

Just a story about a newbie reacting to the show

I don't mind rebuttal, but everyone jumped on me like I suddenly agree with her, saying things like I declared the show is bad just because I told the story.

• Like 1

I would just like to say, the rest of the internet is terrible. I’m 32 years old and have given up on all forms of social media. My husband still posts pictures on his various pages of us and our son when we do fun things, but I don’t want anything to do with that. 

This site has gotten bloody ugly in the last 4 years and it’s incredibly disheartening. There has always been disagreement, but jeez, everyone needs to calm the fudge nugget down. 

@barigirl78 Thank you for sharing your friend’s reaction. I hope their first read was just a rough one and this show ends up being phenomenal, but regardless, thank you. I’m very jealous they have seen it and I haven’t. I’m still going to be excited!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3