The Cavaliers 2019

51 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

The Cavaliers received more sincere applause for what is a far more entertaining show than the supposed leader. Believe that should speak volumes about what the fans like and appreciate. 

It’s completely true. While others received a “respect ovation”, here on the west coast, the Cavaliers actually brought the people out of their seats. If GE scores were truly based off of crowd general effect then they would be in the lead.

last night people in the seats around me said the Cavaliers had their favorite show. There is no doubt that SCV is amazing and has incredible talent but this show design is not Babylon. It’s not having the appeal that 2018 did. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Yep...5 straight shows they owned the crowd. Not even close. 

Apparently I am insane then because I was at the Mesa show last night and enthusiasm for SCV appeared to be every bit as strong as for Cavaliers, if not stronger.  Both were very well received in any case.  

24 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Apparently I am insane then because I was at the Mesa show last night and enthusiasm for SCV appeared to be every bit as strong as for Cavaliers, if not stronger.  Both were very well received in any case.  

I said the first 5 shows and should have said 6. Went to all of them. 

Clovis-Sacramento-Stanford-Vista- Pasadena- San Bernardino. Cavs were clearly crowd favorites in these shows. 

Can’t speak at all to crowd reaction in Mesa. I would be surprised if Academy didn’t fare well there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Where I was sitting the crowd stood for SCV as well, but it was the slow to rise ovation and polite applause. When the Cavaliers finished they were on their feet immediately and the cheers went on for a while.

apples to oranges.

the point being is really...the Cavaliers are back and they’re not messing around. Who knows what happens at the end of the season, but the staff and the members have created a product they should be proud of.

a gentleman sitting next to me said that he needed to watch the Cavaliers show like six more times to catch everything going on. After two nights, and I mentioned this before, the feeling of those around me were that while Santa Clara is amazing and incredibly talented and still one of the contenders, the show design itself is not what it was for Babylon. We saw BD beat them in GE Sunday night and the dirty Cavaliers were only .3 behind in visual GE last night. Also the judges had Vanguard outperforming their rep score, which isnt good this early in the season.

just as a comparison:

finals last year SCV scored 2.3 points higher in overall GE then the Cavies last year. As of last night the gap was .8

i know you can’t compare blah blah blah, but still there is some validity.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

Where I was sitting the crowd stood for SCV as well, but it was the slow to rise ovation and polite applause. When the Cavaliers finished they were on their feet immediately and the cheers went on for a while.

Obviously a different type of ending will elicit a different type of response.  And I have a feeling that ending will be reworked in any case.

Where I was sitting, there was enthusiastic response throughout SCV's entire show, and far more than merely "polite" applause at the end.  But that's just the experience of this one lowly, mostly unbiased drum corps fans who roots for all the corps and doesn't have a human in the fight.  

Best of luck this season!  Maybe these two corps will finish 1st and 3rd like they did in 2004.  That was a great year.

• Thanks 1

I haven't seen the show live but I've seen every performance except Mesa online. They are getting a mid show standing ovation for the ballad, which is rare to see. 

• Like 3

If a lot of folks are "losing" it while watching The Cavaliers show this year, then I might actually lose my mind. Hahaha! 

Honestly, I don't care which corps fans were cheering louder for. As long as as we all enjoy the shows, make new friendships, and learn from each other... well, then we are doing something right!

But to be fair..... I love that fans are crazy over The Cavaliers this year.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, tommynev said:

I haven't seen the show live but I've seen every performance except Mesa online. They are getting a mid show standing ovation for the ballad, which is rare to see. 

I love this. I am a sucker for beautiful ballads.

8 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

It’s completely true. While others received a “respect ovation”, here on the west coast, the Cavaliers actually brought the people out of their seats. If GE scores were truly based off of crowd general effect then they would be in the lead.

last night people in the seats around me said the Cavaliers had their favorite show. There is no doubt that SCV is amazing and has incredible talent but this show design is not Babylon. It’s not having the appeal that 2018 did. 

Yep when you have fireworks going off and two standing ovations it's a good night... 🙂

• Like 4

14 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

hummm,

6-21 delta with SVC 2.15

6-22 delta with SVC 2.0

6-23 delta with SVC 2.2

6-28 delta with SVC 2.2

6-29 delta with SVC 2.7

6-30 delta with SVC 2.45

7-01 delta with SVC 2.6

PamahoNow, 

As an historical matter of fact,  the 06-30 delta was 2.65.

The 07-01 delta should be ignored. There were only 5 judges, not 8, the result of which was that instead of having the normal GE/Visual/Music structure of 40-30-30, a structure of 40-20-40 resulted.

I believe the next opportunity for a head-to-head comparison will come in Lisle, IL at the Cavalier's home show.

As for the Mesa show, I was there and I would give the edge to SCV >CAV.   Re the Cav's encore, I was standing behind the Academy MMs who were lined up on the track a couple of feet from the Cav ensemble and can attest to the energy and emotion generated, particularly when they played "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in tribute to Mr. Warren.

• Like 1