Santa Clara Vanguard 2019

Can someone please remind me how long is the contract with LOS for DCI Finals, is it possible they are moving the finals next year to the southeast or the northeast. Perhaps BD and SCV got the heads up and hence factored into their decision.

24 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

Can someone please remind me how long is the contract with LOS for DCI Finals, is it possible they are moving the finals next year to the southeast or the northeast. Perhaps BD and SCV got the heads up and hence factored into their decision.

I believe the contract runs until 2028, so that seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, Jeffe77 said:

12 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Well, it is expensive for Open Class Corps to travel to the Midwest, South, or East for DCI Championships, so its not out of the question that being successful there in placements has been very important to them over the years. Both Corps have put out laudatory press releases that seem to value winning DCI Championships when they do go there... so ya, I make the assumption that success for them is defined by competition at Championships. They did not organize their Corps as an exhibition Corps. Also, most marchers that join Corps do want to march in Corps that want to see how their Corps stacks up with other Corps in their Class in other parts of the Country... not just in their backyard.

I should have clarified my remarks with "moving forward". I disagree with your last statement as to the reason people march. I think that is a very misplaced assumption.

1 minute ago, Spatzzz said:

I should have clarified my remarks with "moving forward". I disagree with your last statement as to the reason people march. I think that is a very misplaced assumption.

and of course there are those proposals (several now) in Sacramento's capital house to divide California into multiple States and/or to secede and/or go back to Russian and Mexican rule.:mat::cry::angry: Gibbs for governor?

21 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

There was a time when most marchers did not mind marching Corps that only competed and performed locally. I believe however that period of Drum Corps has long come and gone. Its difficult to prove ( or disprove ) now that most marchers today prefer not to march with Corps that choose to only perform in competitions locally (within their own state ).  The evidence historically is pretty strong however that Corps that decide to take time off from National Tours do suffer some degree of marcher attrition, and quality of performance levels. Upon their return, they are rarely, if ever,  quite as strong in marcher talent/ performance levels as the year they last competed at DCI Championships. The evidence is strong too that upon return to competition that involves participation at DCI Championships,  most of these Corps fortunate to make it back to Championships, in time recover nicely in both higher marcher talent levels seen/ heard in their Corps, and better quality staff, and of course with that, better scores and placements at Championships.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

There was a time when most marchers did not mind marching Corps that only competed and performed locally. I believe however that period of Drum Corps has long come and gone. Its difficult to prove ( or disprove ) now that most marchers today prefer not to march with Corps that choose to only perform in competitions locally (within their own state ).  The evidence historically is pretty strong however that Corps that decide to take time off from National Tours do suffer some degree of marcher attrition, and quality of performance levels. Upon their return, they are rarely, if ever,  quite as strong in marcher talent/ performance levels as the year they last competed at DCI Championships. The evidence is strong too that upon return to competition that involves participation at DCI Championships,  most of these Corps fortunate to make it back to Championships, in time recover nicely in both higher marcher talent levels seen/ heard in their Corps, and better quality staff, and of course with that, better scores and placements at Championships.

I would agree with you ( in the past ) except Cadets 2 would be some evidence  that there are( or may be ) kids out there who either can't afford or choose not to be on a tour among many other reasons. I'm sure DCA wasn't a choice they may have wanted but there they are. Is this an exception? Well time will tell.

Magic did have a pretty good comeback ( maybe not the norm ) BUT of course making the same mistakes ( maybe worse ) put them right back in the history books 

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

I would agree with you ( in the past ) except Cadets 2 would be some evidence  that there are( or may be ) kids out there who either can't afford or choose not to be on a tour among many other reasons. I'm sure DCA wasn't a choice they may have wanted but there they are. Is this an exception? Well time will tell.

Magic did have a pretty good comeback ( maybe not the norm ) BUT of course making the same mistakes ( maybe worse ) put them right back in the history books 

Magic was funded by the Brigadiers bingo operation ($$$) for that come back....

17 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Magic was funded by the Brigadiers bingo operation ($$$) for that come back....

Yes,  Unfortunately, that and turned into 1 hot mess of promises, not kept

Although they DID make a comeback, on the surface it was a very impressive comeback

Edited by GUARDLING

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Again I think you are misinterpreting my statement. Kids don't march for competitive success alone. Certainly some do but most by a HUGE majority do it for the pure experience. Competition is part of that experience but it isn't what drive kids to join a corps.